Broken VIEW button

I have Prime 4 unit bought at the end of 2019, so it is 6 months still in a warranty!

Prime 4 was almost unused, because of Covid.

For me, it is unacceptable to have a broken button on a professional device, after such a small and light use! I saw other people also had a sloped view button, but I would like to hear from Denon about this issue. Some said it wasn’t covered with a warranty?!??! I don’t want to pay a dime for such a bad construction of such important button!

I have shutter button on My Canon 5D DSLR camera since 2007th, never had any issue with that button and I had press it more than 600.000 times!

And this unit by its construction has a lot of space to have built-in really professional grade buttons and control.

Below are links to photos of my unit!

3 Likes

Denon really did miss a trick with this button. I wouldnt go as far and say a design flaw but they could of made bigger and sturdier as its used so often. They recognised i think as i have the prime go and prime go load button is way better. Hope you get your unit fixed.

3 Likes

I have the same problem, the view button is bending on the right and I’m afraid evey time I use it. Like you, because of covid my prime 4 has been used max 6 or 7 times. Very poor quality, looks like those plastic “made in china” things that you find on Ali express. I will not buy denon any more, because there are also a lot of things that haven’t been fixed in the updates.

1 Like

Shame as its a top console. I press mine so gently and only when i need too.

Uups- embarrassing for Denon

3 Likes

Thank you guys for your opinions! I don’t want to press it gently! PRIME 4 is a professional, working horse flagship product! It MUST be constructed to withhold a reasonable use!

I will contact tomorrow service in my country to see their opinion, is it under warranty or not!

But I would like to hear from Denon also, their opinion!

2 Likes

I don’t pay 1500€ to be stressed all night long with buttons that must be pressed with a feather. I thought I bought professional gear, not a toy :crazy_face::crazy_face::joy::scream:

4 Likes

Well if you feel its a toy you can always sell and move on. I personally dont press the button in to hard as I know that could damage it. Many users treat the same way and dont have an issue. Some units maybe more prone than others. Either way happy mixing.

3 Likes

I used to work as a TV editor a long time ago. I worked with Sony Betacam editing consoles and deck. You should see buttons from those times! Those were indestructible! Projected for millions of uses!

Prime 4 is a great device, innovative and way ahead of it’s competition, but those are things that Denon should really take into consideration.

2 Likes

You shouldn’t speak too fast… Because may be one day your view button will go the same way. Me and other guys had a normal use of our gear. I’ve been djaying for 40 years, since 1978. It’s the first time that something goes wrong under my fingers. So I’d rather think that it’s because of this button’s conception than my fault. Never say never. :shushing_face:

2 Likes

I had posted photos of my slanted button! they didn’t give me the guarantee! the only thing that managed to solve the shop where I bought the prime 4 and that they contacted the assistance center in Italy! and they managed to get me a special price of 50 euros to do a courtesy! but if a product is under warranty I don’t need a special price! I need warranty repair! and then I took apart the product by myself and repaired the button myself !! I will remember this when I have to buy a new console !!!

3 Likes

Why didn’t they? Because you opened it yourself?

1 Like

they said it could be a problem caused by the use one makes of it!

1 Like

because I would have to pay 50 euros, for a defect that apparently has also happened to others

2 Likes

in addition, they told me that the spare was not available, so they disassembled it from a console they had in the service center, and they would use it for the spare parts!

1 Like

Today was a busy day for me, so I was not able to call my distributor. But tomorrow I will see. If they don’t want to honour my warranty… I will post video on YouTube, Vimeo and all social networks about my experience! Also, a few experienced DJ told me, yes, Denon is really awesome, compared to Pioneer in the last few years, but their build quality is rather on a pathetic side. I wouldn’t tell that, my Prime 4 really looks solid, but I must confess that I’m really disappointed big time with such a nonsense design of important buttons!

If there was not Covid, they could tell, you could have 100 gigs in 16 months! But in this total lockdown, my Prime 4 is in a box!

1 Like

For my part, I have had it for two years now and I have done more than a hundred services with it and the “view - menu” button I use it little once the adjustment is made I will not come back to it. not on it. It does not need a big pressure to be functional, it is not a button like that of Hotcue or Loop and which are also very sensitive to the touch no need to press hard either.

I had a random problem on a Pioneer DJM800, it had audio distortion, a kind of white noise that was randomly manifested in the middle of the evening, I had my djm800 under warranty (they saw it three / four times in their premises, they had found nothing, the problem was too random! it happened more than ten times and the eleventh was the last the digital processor DSP had failed at a wedding at 3am , I brought the mix back to the after-sales service, they asked me for 400 euros HT while the mix was under warranty and there was not even a month of warranty left and they did not want to know anything, supposedly a problem of use outside the product was in an official Pioneer DJ flightcase and I use very little the effects part and the mixing was connected with CDJ 2000 so all Pioneer. I had Jogwheel problems on a CDJ 2000 and that from the beginning, they have it to me taken care of but returned in a condition not possible she did not even have a month we would have said that she was already 3/4 years old, there were lots of micro scratches, thank you technical support. I bought an SX right out of the box and bam … a problem with the line / phono preamplifier and that 2/3 times, they never wanted to make me exchange. And I had lots of Pioneer Dj product “CDJ500limited, 100S, CMX3000, DJM600, DJM3000, CDJ1000Mk3, MEP 7000, CDJ 400, DJMT1, DJM 800, CDJ 2000, DDJ SX”, there was a strong demand Denon Prime 4 products and there may have been a material quality issue in the design of the “View - Menu” button on a series of distributed product. If there are less than 200/300 button problems on millions of products distributed around the world, unfortunately … they will qualify as a use problem or indeed a suspicion of a defect and not a general quality problem, it there was a problem of this kind on the Rane 62 product, some also had cue button breakages and there was indeed a com to report the problem to a large number of users by indicating the serial numbers or the The products were very likely to have the same quality defect of the plastic on the manufacture of the buttons, the product had to be returned and they changed all the cue buttons for free and that was on thousands of product distributed around the world , a serial defect, the fault of bad luck.

1 Like

I actually made a feature request quite some time back asking to use the rotary encoder push button instead (or alongside) the view button. The view button is used far to often for the size & robustness it has,

1 Like

Pressing the rotary knob is used to select a track, and if it were also used to switch views it would create confusion.

Let me explain: when we are in horizontal view with waves displayed, if you press the knob it does nothing, and therefore in this mode we could use the knob as you ask. But when there has been the transition from wave mode to library mode if you want to return to wave mode, how do you do it? If you push the knob (as you would instinctively do) you get the track selection to load into one of the players, and that’s not good. So how can you get back to wave mode?

1 Like

Thanks for the info. Even if it was used just to take us into library view - that would be great.

1 Like