BPM not showing up in Tidal using Prime 4

Hello,

Im sure this has been asked over 1,000,000,000 times by now but for the life of me I can never find a legit answer on how to show this or fix this issue.

I am using the Denon Prime 4 and the Tidal service. After going to Tidal and adding my music from there into my playlist, I go back to my controller but when I go into the playlist, I only see the Artist, title of song, and waves, but no BPM or keys.

I have read all sorts of articles. Some stating I had to “analyze the tracks” but then another article would say that the tracks from Tidal already come over analyzed? Another stated I had to “Prepare” the tracks. So I did try and prepare them to my internal HDD, which the sort BPM key at the top right shows up but the tracks were STILL not showing the bpm.

So Im at a loss now. Is this something Engine doesnt show us anymore or is this a firmware glitch? I re-updated the firmware which didnt seem to fix nothing.

Like all music from any source, you need to analyze it first either on the laptop (and then exporting it) or on the Prime 4/2/SCs units. For TIDAL, the only way to analyze your music is by loading/playing it on the Prime unit. By doing so, the unit will analyze for BPM/Key, just be sure to have any kind of storage device plugged in (that is: SSD/HD/USB/SD) for the analyzed info to be kept, so the next time you load the file there will be no need to re-analyze the tracks. Cheers!

There is a long standing request to have Tidal (and other streaming services) accessible in the Engine desktop software, so prep such as BPM and key analysis can be done in advance using the full power of your computer CPU.

https://community.enginedj.com/t/improved-streaming-support-for-engine-dj-desktop-and-engine-os/36887

When you say using a storage device to save the info for later; how does it work if you’re logged into Tidal under the console? Cause I’d be loading the tracks for the Tidal playlist. Not sure how that info would save to the storage device like my flash.

Yah I saw that. I figured that was for other units and not for the Prime 4

Your playlist is on the cloud and the prime unit retrieves the playlist just like your phone does but the analyzed (bpm/key/duration) info of the tracks stays on the starage unit, then it can be synced back to EngineDJ on your laptop/PC and the track/artist/bpm/key info is added on to your music database.

Ok don’t mean to sound new to this but does the storage unit automatically collect the bpm and key info then when I load each track from the playlist to the console then??

When you say analyze on the pc; once I load each track on the console, do I go over to the pc, bring up the flash drive on the console and move the same tracks now on it to the collection folder in engine or am I missing something??

See it’s weird that you mention how tidal is on the cloud; because if I use Beatport; I don’t have have to analyze anything or do anything on my pc. The tracks are already analyzed once I go to Beatport website on the web and move the tracks I want to Beatport tracklist I created. Then all I have to do is go to the console, connect to Beatport and walla; the tracks are already sorted by bpm automatically and keys are already there and the wave forms; but with Tidal, the tracks are not anazlyzed automatically obviously. Weird

I don’t think my storage unit has ever collected bpm and key info from tracks off Tidal. Matter fact I know it never has. So no clue what you mean by the storage unit collecting data, etc; unless I have it shut off in settings or something. Only stuff on my storage units is what I put on it manually.

Hi. I strongly recommend you to read and understand your unit’s and software manual.

Being a standalone unit, you could as well just plug an storage device or connect to a streaming service and start playing, as the prime units do analyze on the fly if required. Striclty, you only need a computer to create the playlist in EngineDJ. This is how I use it and love the way it works.

Now, using EngineDJ helps you to prepare your music: create playlist, and preanalyze it so you can have in advance the bpm/key/tempo/artist-track details, etc. This method is for when you own your music files (MP3, AIFF, WAVs, and so on music/video files). Beatport: I have never used it, but i am assuming the music is pre-analyzed so the bpm/key/artist, etc info is already in the file. TIDAL: no bpm/key/tempo info is contained in the streamed file, so you need to load it on the prime unit to be analyzed and that info gets stored on your storage unit (SSD/HD/SD/USB) and added to the EngineDJ database.

When you analyze your music in EngineDJ on the PC/Laptop, the information is then exported to the USB/HD/SSD/SD card along with the files. This is the Engine Database.

When you analyze a TIDAL track on the Prime unit (this is because you simply can’t do it on yout laptop) then you can sync that track information to the Engine database by importing data from the storage unit into the EngineDJ software. Yes, either you plug in the storage unit to your laptop or connect to the Prime unit via the USB cable (when using an internal HD/SSD).

Getting this to work flawlessly does require you to understand the music preparation procedure, exporting and importing the music data from and into the database.

Cheers!

Yah, Im sorry if I sounded confusing. I get what you mean, but honestly I already know everything you explained. That IS if I my tracks were coming from an external device. That I knew that if that was the case that I would need to analyze the tracks in EngineDJ. What I was trying to figure out was why Tidal’s tracks from their website was coming over with no bpm’s or key points but when I was bringing over Beatports tracks, their tracks WERE listing the bpm’s and key points. After doing so much reading and research, I learned that this is how Tidals tracks come over. Both services have their tracks already analyzed but Tidal just does not have their tracks listed with bpm’s and that you have to manually load each track into the console in order to update the bpm’s and then manually insert your key points; whereas, with BP, you don’t have to do this. If I still have to analyze all the tracks somehow from Tidal, then so be it as Im sure its done the same way as if I was analyzing an external usb’s tracks.

You got it. Beatport is a site for DJs, so the tracks have BPM and key listed. Tidal is primarily a consumer site like Spotify, and those sites don’t provide BPM and key because non-DJs don’t need that information.