Bit sad really :-( Low output level - common fault!

Having bought a pair of SC6000M’s new and connected to my A&H Xone 96 the audio output of the SC 6000’s is low - a common complaint I discover. Not fan of using Platinum notes to boost the audio file level, or using a device to boost the level levels into the mixer. Also not a fan of spending over £2k to find this sort of problem.

Anyone got a solution to this?

I have complained to Denon as I’m not happy one bit! Note to Denon - GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER !!! and sort it, Miss D

What problem? just turn your channel gains to 0db on leds :man_shrugging:

Like I said - output level is low - period!

They are plenty loud. That’s the function of channel gains - set different input levels to the same output level. It’s not a eq knob that needs to be centered to be at “0db”. You still have a lot of gain left to redline/clip if you want.

Uh I own a XONE96 and have a SC5000 and have hooked up SC6000’s to it before and they always hit +6db with the faders full and the trim and the EQ’s at unity.

1. How do you have your gains set?
  2. What’s your perception of “too low”
1 Like

Mmmmmmm and you didnt research this before buying. Or test before purchase…

Maybe a video of your settings and sound output ,

What speakers are you outputting to??

Others use this equipment week in week out in club enviroments and they dont have issues

Poppycock.

1 Like

I had my sc’a connected to a 92 couple weekends ago. They were a tad quieter than the cdj2000 NXS2’s, but still didn’t need to turn the gain knobs past 12 o’clock to have unity. What tracks are you having issues with?

You’re thinking of nominal level, or rather what a signal with no dynamics would be metered to.

Unity is a position on a pot whereby signal level out at that point in the signal path is the same as signal in, not a particular point on a meter. For instance, on a lot of mixers, unity on the trim-gain knobs at the top of the channel strip is 12 o’clock.

Other than that and as a point of reference when doing tests or repairs, where unity is on the trim-gain knobs is not real useful to know. Unity point on the tone controls, bottom channel faders/rotaries, and master out, in contrast, is essential to know.

As you’ve implied, the trim-gain knob is there to optimize the signal level to get the most out of the total dynamic range of the mixer while preserving a reasonable amount of headroom in reserve, and creating some consistency from channel to channel, track to track.

What they’re talking about would obviously be a problem if they had one track all the way down and another track all the way up on the trim-gains and still couldn’t get things consistent, but since they’re not actually complaining about that, I think you and we’ve all reasonably assumed that’s not the issue.

What a bald statement. I get 0dB from my SC6000 when gains are at 10-11o’clock max - that is normal signal. Most of the players I had and usb audio from Traktor oscillate in 10-11.

How is Your gain set when getting 0dB on the channel?

It’s not been mentioned as a common complaint before. Just adjust the gains or run your library through any software which normalises

1 Like

Could try turning the active speakers on… That often helps to get volume up a bit…

Platinum notes doesnt always make it clinical… set it up how you want it to sound and normalise it… However is it a case of sh1t in amplified sh1t out…

I’m asking out of ignorance here - how will Platinum notes affect the volume on the SC’s? :thinking:

It wont… lol it just normalise everything. OP doesnt want to turn gain knob up and is looking for a gain button to be incorporated

With Platinum Note you can normalize, reduce pops and reduce saturation of poorly recorded audio tracks and more! Here is my preset :

Yeah, but that’s a matter of changing the headroom/dynamics within the actual files - doesn’t affect anything output related on the Denon’s :thinking:

Yeah, which is totally unrelated to the output of the Denon’s, which I highly doubt isn’t within the industry standard.

Lol OP Want a 3db increase… And wants a button to do it… just turn the gain up

1 Like

Marked a reply as solution - Use the gain to adjust - Period.

7 Likes

I mean, technically on tracks that are ‘quiet’, PN could be used to make them louder so that the complainants wouldn’t have to touch their trim-gain knobs as much, but it’s going to often make them sound worse since they’ll still have to fit within a 0dBFS range they’re saved in, thus usually requiring compression to do it if you assume they’re already peaking similarly already, and there’d still be the minimum headroom on the SC Prime players to allow for speed & key change and SRC, and also to avoid inter-sample peak errors during processing.

However, the whole point of bouncing meters with a zero nominal point and trim-gain knobs is so you can adjust it manually and get tracks of varying dynamics to similar perceived loudness without resorting to mucking everything up to the lowest common denominator of just more and more non-musical compression.

Not that I’m against the SC Prime players giving us look-ahead control over dynamics, like an expander option :stuck_out_tongue: They buffer the track, after all.

But completely getting rid of its processing headroom, even as an option? Hell, no.

The place to change uniform overall levels dramatically on a track is in the mixer, where you have comfortably moved everything far away from the clip point with huge oodles of added headroom so you can do your magic.