Better UX for Playlist Creation + Track metadata (rating) on Engine OS

I love my Denon SC Live 4 – it ticks a lot of boxes.

…But something I’d love to see the Denon dev team focus on is the ability to more easily create + edit playlists with the standalone hardware. The desktop app is alright, but I’d love to stay off of the computer almost entirely (apart from importing tracks + syncing USBs etc)

Coming from Rekordbox, I loved the Tags feature and the ability to create dynamic smart playlists based on those tags + other attributes like BPM, rating etc. Currently Denon OS has no way to even set a rating for the current playing track. I feel that adding this as well as the ability to drop tracks into the Prep bucket or a couple configurable playlists more easily (like w the click of a button like… shift + load or something) would make prepping playlists EXTREMELY more friendly.

Does the feature exist? Yes, but it is tedious. (https://community.enginedj.com/t/create-and-edit-playlists-on-standalone-devices/46636/4?u=spencercap) It is tedious because editing edit mode, selecting the track(s) from the left, and then carefully dragging the current select down a possibly large list of folders and subfolder to the desired playlist is… you try while having a house party and DJ boogie.

You’re almost there Denon, c’mon!

1 Like

I think there might be 5 or 6 more threads you can bump if you really want to hammer the point home.

Can’t you just move to the desired playlist before dragging the tracks over? that way its a simple swipe left to drop them into the playlist you require? Seems more like a choice on your part to do what you’re doing.

This is where “make prepare list a new playlist” and “add prepare list to existing playlist” would come in handy

3 Likes

Would love to understand what solution you mean. Do tell!

First off, dragging and dropping is fiddly… alas, I cannot drop selected files into the prepare area, only into other folders. and what i’m getting at is that dragging, then holding near the bottom of the folder list to scroll down to a specific section of a possibly very long list is meh UX. In a similar way that the FX type selection became more usable by scrolling thru the options while they all stay present on screen and the indented knob moves the selected, highlighted green box, I could imagine a flow here where the selected track(s) can be moved to the last added to folder, or give you the ability scroll thru which folder(s) you’d like them to be added to (sorta how Saved works on Instagram or Github lists).

The thing is… what one user will consider to be fiddly or more effort than I care to endure , can feel fine and usable for 25 or 100 or 1000 other users

Or not