Beginner questions

Hi! I just bought the SS and I’m excited, but I have a few questions:

1. Can I use SS as a DMX mixer? I have several fixtures without user manuals and I don’t know how to address them in SS Fixture Manager because I don’t know how many DMX channels they have and what is on them.

2. What are “good practices” when laying out DMX channels in SSFM? Is it better to take the example of fixture from the list, or is there some freedom, like “addressing is depending on what I want to achieve”?

3. Is there any manual or tutorial for scripting? What is available is very little.

Thank you in advance for your answer!

Welcome, I had used SS for a while now and will try to answer.

No, not as DMX mixer. I am using QLC+ when needed.

Just add the correct fixture and then select “behavior” (like “Wash (primary)” or “Wash (Secondary)” )

There is lots of YT tutorials, here is one for beginners:

Thanks for the answer!

Ad.1 Basically, I discovered a workaround to make it work. In SoundSwitch Fixture Manager, I created a fixture that contains only one cell and 30 Attributes. By loading it into SS you can check the channels in Attribute Cues.

As for question 2 - I meant Fixture Manager, but I finally found the answers in these links: support.soundswitch. com/en/support/solutions/articles/69000844506-creating-a-fixture-profile-with-soundswitch-fixture-manager

…I just had to read and understand what I was reading :rofl:

Ad. 3 - Are there any tutorials that explain the general philosophy of arranging a light show? How to find and achieve the main goal, what to avoid, etc.? I think this is called “light show design”? And as for tutorials - is there a manual for SoundSwitch that explains what all the menu items do, how to really use cues, animations, etc., just a DETAILED instruction manual for the program?

Again - thank you very much for your answer!

I don’t think there is a manual. This is something that I asked for at the very beginning, but as far as I’m aware, nothing was ever produced.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.