Attention ! Pioneer promises heavy lol

I’m also a prime member who has never used it but it’s my understanding they changed the policy and all music is available on your prime package now, you no longer need that additional music subscription. So it may have a lot more options.

1 Like

Will check it out :+1:

1 Like

Interesting if so. I thought there were two tiers of Amazon Music. One that gives you the full catalogue that you find on Tidal Apple Music & Spotify for around £10 a month and one that gives you 20 million for free if you had Prime.

This would be great news if so as I thought it was the paid package that worked with these consoles. Probably why I never tried it!

My guess is the Amazon chip too in the Prime 4+ but it also gives them time to reboot some internal hardware that we won’t see. Just little upgrades that seem seamless to us.

This might be of interest.

1 Like

Also, looking at the Opus I see a lot of the shortcomings are firmware updatable. As Mojaxx said, it’s specced higher than needed so I can see on board analysation coming. I can see streaming coming too.

It’s a new direction and they may do what Denon DJ did by drip feeding features slowly. Just look how far the Prime range has come since 1.3.2.

This will be their new direction. This will be the “experiment” where they roll out stuff in a way previously unseen by Pioneer DJ. They like to release a new model instead of adding new features.

Probably why the cost is high. They’ll be getting you to pay upfront cost for dev time to add the stuff that it should have launched with on day one and will probably state how they are adding value and make it look like an up-selling point.

Nice!

There’s a lot on there too and for free it makes sense for home use.

That new embedded Amazon chip probably authenticates the Prime hardware like an Echo device would do which also begs the question…. Can it run AI, an assistant or something like that? Not that I can see an assistant useful but an AI chip could be.

1 Like

Yeah I think so, they have been caught napping a little bit on that front. Consumers want firmware additions to get max value from their units don’t they.

2 Likes

Amazon Music Unlimited is needed to work with Engine OS. Amazon Music Prime or Amazon Music Free will not work

1 Like

Personally I doubt about a big evolution of the embedded OS of the Opus! In the sense that the Rekordbox software does not belong 100% to Pioneer Dj, Mixvibes is still a shareholder in part of the software, therefore Pioneer will not have the same facility as Denon to add functions without going through Mixvibes ( I think they’re the ones who still manage the development of the software) that’s why hardware updates are rare: RX, XDJ… and as far as the software is concerned, since there are formulas subscription to make the software compatible with other products, this allows you to invest in software updates.

I forgot all about Mixvibes’ connection to Pioneer. Yep.

I’m almost sure Mixvibes built Relordbox until around V3 before transferring to Pioneer DJ devs.

It was commissioned by Pioneer DJ and Mixvibes got the contract as Pioneer DJ didn’t have the know how. The interglacial property rights are still owned by Pioneer DJ. Mixvibes were the contractors that built it.

A bit like Foxconn don’t own the iPhone, only assemble it on behalf of Apple.

I’m sure someone will be able to clarify as this is from memory as I’m sure I remember when it transferred over.

1 Like

I thought I’d read that the track analysis and bpm/key detection part was entirely licensed from Mixvibes. I didn’t know they coded the original entire Rekordbox under contract. Mixvibes was kind of an oddball program. Good fit and finish, but never got the recognition of other software. They did have that weird little compact 14-bit all-in-one controller, though, that appears to still be on the market.

1 Like

The original version it was built on Mixvibes Cross but I’ve quickly found an article from DJ Worx that dates it around before the transition to Rekordbox DJ. I think it’s the comments that I remembered at the time.

Marks quote was:

”Very first thing, and to underline this for those that may have heard otherwise — rekordbox 4 is a Pioneer DJ product. It has not been developed by Serato or Mixvibes, so any resemblance is coincidental.”

From Marks article And a comment from him in his section below read:

“To be clear — Pioneer took over development of rekordbox a couple of years ago. Mixvibes have not bee involved for a long time. I confirmed this with Mixvibes themselves.

I think this was the turning point. It was dated 1st October 2015.

I was less to believe it was a total rebuild when Pioneer DJ took over the development but I suppose some stuff could be licenced like zPlane etc.

Here is Marks review of RBDJ:

While looking around the internet I’ve found the partnership announcement too!

I never really used MV Cross on the desktop. I think it has/has a few users (maybe?). I was too embedded into Serato DJ.

1 Like

Slightly OT but I still find it bizarre that him and Mojaxx live within 50 miles of me, 2 of the most influential DJ gear reviewers in the least obvious location possible.

1 Like

They are that northern end of the UK, yeah.

I’ve bought gear from Mark before and he sent handwritten stuff inside it with really nice notes etc. he’s genuinely lovely.

He’s selling his DJ workstation on eBay at the moment (like a tough Kallax made “properly”) and he even offered to cut it down for me.

1 Like

Yeah Mark is North Yorkshire and Chris is Newcastle, im about in the middle of them both. It’s always been a house music hotbed over the years (not so much these days) but these guys are/were world leaders in gear reviews, Crossfader only down the road in Leeds too.

You would assume they would be one of the large cities like London or in the US, or even somewhere like Berlin wouldn’t you, not tucked away in ropy North East of England haha.

Mark is a genuine legend, I still follow all his stuff on instagram, loving the tech drawings he does.

2 Likes

Yep, they’re both legends. We need to keep Chris/Mojaxx safe though, as he’s about the only guy we’ve got left who does honest impartial reviews.

2 Likes

Fully agree with that, Even crossfader and Phil M I sometimes get the vibe its ‘paid content’, especially when it comes to the brand referenced in this thread.

The good thing about Chris, you know he genuinely uses all the leftfield/underdog gear and not just the obvious DJM900/CDJ-3000 rig he could have if he wanted.

2 Likes

Mojaxx has just done a Twitch stream with a pair of SC6000Ms and a Xone:92

He had the 6000s running v3.0 connected to Engine DJ

I met Mark a few years ago at the BPM exhibition @ Birmingham NEC

1 Like

Thats what I love about him, you see him losing it on that Rotary the other week? rocking the isolator on that Cevin Fisher track.