Another problem with buttons in PRIME 4

I had two marriages fail cos they were women and didnt understand “boy toys”.

Ive also had a sense of humour failure

4 Likes

the repairs I had to make to my DJ products xdj rx play cue after one year of work! cdj 400 play cue bookshelf knob and plastic play cue broken after two years! cdj 2000 play cue and usb port and ethernet port damaged after about 3 years! ddj sx2-n play cue jogwell sx locked after only six months of use! mcx 8000 play cue after one year! prime 4 broken play cues after two years! i think i will go back to pioneer because it is badly built !! here I see people criticizing just to defend their beloved pioneer! believe me every product has its strengths and weaknesses!

1 Like

Hello!

Finally, they have just informed me that they are changing my unit for a totally new one, due to the continuous failures in the buttons.

A 10 for the official technical service of Denon.

4 Likes

My play button On my prime 4 has started getting intermittent. 3,500 people looking at you because you can’t start a song at the right time. It happens a lot when I’m cueing up. Hot cue buttons are now what I use but I want to fix it. Do I just swap the start button or does it require me soldering a new micro switch onto the board or would it just be in need of a clean on the contacts of the micro switch with build up of smoke fluid sediment etc… in the air over the past 3 years?

Thanks in advance

Nick

Most likely the micro switch under the button needs to be replaced. The club CDJ’s had that replaced every 1-2 seasons, it is a expendable part with about 10-50.000 presses durability. First symptoms of the microswitch wearing out are “double-presses” and not registering press on a certain part of the button.

Denon MC6000mk1 and SC2000 had a bad factory model od microswitches (only 10.000 presses) installed so on them they did not even last 1 season if used regulary.

That those switches fail is pretty normal and not Prime 4 or Denon specific. These buttons, foremost the play button, do fail and its a pretty easy and a standard repair on all products who are out there. I had to repair a Pioneer DDJ SZ a couple of times, and they have mostly the CDJ parts. I normally disassemble the equipment, buy the replacement parts and go to my local technic store an tell him what he has to solder (im not very good at soldering). Also had to replace the pitch fader, which has 6 soldering points, and its fairly easy.

If i look at the Prime 4, its looking very similar from what i have seen else. As an example i have the Pioneer DDJ SZ pitchfader board in the picture with the normal pioneer buttons.

Therefore NoiseRiser and the others are right, this is how dj gear looks like.

3 Likes

Powiem tak bardzo delikatnie …znalazłem sposób żeby działało bez zarzutu 100/100… jak dla Ciebie będzie to kosztowało 300 USD plus koszty przesyłki.

Tact switches are not all the same (even though they look like it). Some are designed to 10000 presses, others can take 50000+ The buttons used on the P4 are designed for 50000, so they are pretty good. See details here: https://za.rs-online.com/web/p/tactile-switches/7561549 . The biggest difference between Pio & Denon (P4 anyway) is that Pio actually designed the unit with maintenance in mind. What I mean is when you need to change the tact switches, you only need to remove the play/cue pcb. The P4 on the other hand requires you to basically pull the entire unit to pieces because the play/cue buttons are part of the entire left / right deck pcb, which is underneath the power supply pcb, channel selector/headphone pcb & a metal shield that covers the mixer pcb. You first have to remove both the power supply & channel selector pcb’s. Then in order to remove that metal shield, you need to remove the input/output pcb as well. The entire dismantling & re-assembling process will take at least 3hrs to do. Just to change a faulty tact switch… it’s madness!! With regards to the actual plastic buttons, even though the design is based on the same principle as other brands, I do feel like it is inferior due to how small the plastic supports are. They do break easily. To put the cherry on top, here in my country (S.A) the agents haven’t had any spares for over a year now. I ended up having to draw & 3d print my own replacement plastic buttons. I personally feel that is totally pathetic for a big company like inMusic!!!

5 Likes

Buttons and all controls must be reliable and interchangeable - the same DJ equipment and not a video recorder

Tengo el mismo problema. ¿Cómo has conseguido que te la cambien?

La llevé 3 veces en garantía, la ley dice que, si por el mismo problema hay que reparar más de dos veces, a la tercera, el cliente puede exigir el cambio por una unidad totalmente nueva, no me hizo falta llegar al extremo, Denon España lo planteó al ver la cantidad de botones que tenían que cambiar cada vez, en un tan corto lapso de tiempo.