Analyzing music for am external resource (HDD)

Hi All

I don’t use playlists, I just read the audience and was just wondering if it was possible to just analyze music on a external HDD using Engine DJ. I have music on 4 external drives which are 2 Terabytes’ in size each. I know I need to sort my music and that I don’t really need that music but I love taking requests and never failed to play a request yet

Sean

Hello @DJSeanie Welcome to the forum.

I would suggest to run analysis in Engine Dj on those drives, even without making any export. So the data base that is created on them will give the Prime 4 proper track indexing and increase the speed of searching. Then You can search also by names, artists, bpm, key, etc…

Hi @NoiseRiser

I am being a bit dull now lol, but how do I run the analysis on the drive. Ive only had my Denon controller for a couple of weeks so pretty new to Engine DJ. Previously a Serato user.

Thanks in advance.

Seanie

Plug in Your drive to a computer. Open Engine DJ. In the engine DJ look for Your drive (left lower part). Open the drive, and check if there are tracks visible. If Yes - select all and click Analyse. If not, then open your drive in a file browser and drag and drop the files to the collection in Engine DJ (left side of Engine Dj - select the collection before drag and drop or drop on the COLECTION text in there). Engine should start analysis. When it’s finished, eject the drive and plug in to Prime 4 and check if all went good.

1 Like

Awesome Thanks @NoiseRiser

1 Like

@NoiseRiser the songs on my HDD did not show in engine DJ, so I dragged them in to the collection like you said. Just one more question. If I add additional music to that drive, will engine then automatically pick that up or will I need to manually add it to the collection

There are many ways to do it.

1. You can copy the tracks to the drive and then add them to engine - will result in same situation as previously.
  2. Add the song to engine from the computer and then export that song by drag and drop in engine (from collection to the drive)

I would do it for my self in option 1, to keep the same workflow and integrity of the data base.

Anyway, I use completely different approach than all this at the moment. And it works for me since 2014 (when I was using other gear).