Algoriddim DJay Pro Reality Check

Phil Morse has published a nice article on Algoriddim’s Djay Pro on Digitial DJ Tips.

This parallels my thoughts. Yes, the beat gridding is impressive and, I hope, sets a new standard. It’s not just having the beats marked, it how two tracks with variable BPM are blended. I thought one or the other might sound distorted, but I don’t hear that with Djay. There are three paths to matching beats while mixing: by ear, grid marks on the beats (DJay, Engine, etc.) and warping to a fixed beat (Albeton Live). Djay doesn’t always get it right when there are dropped beats in measures. The beat is marked but the downbeat is off. E.g., Lorraine Johnson’s, “Feed the Flame” and Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes, “Tell The World How I Feel About 'Cha Baby (A Dimitri From Paris Disco Re-Edit)” both drop two beats in places. In that case, for me Ableton Live works best as I added those two beats back in to keep the downbeat in the flow (of course, you don’t have to). Once you warp a song in Ableton Live it will easily beat grid on any platform but it is time consuming. You can’t port the beat grids from Djay to Engine DJ, unless Lexicon can do that (?).

Djay Pro really lacks in support for controllers and file management. It doesn’t really support Denon’s controllers, Pioneer DDJ FLX10 or Rane Four. I am suspicious of the Reloop Mixon 8 Pro as there are many for resale.

I bought Djay Pro more for the ability to use it as a backup. It’s great to have the app to use, in a pinch, on the iPhone or maybe I’ll dig out my old Vestax VCI-100 to try with it.

An inMusic / Algoriddim marriage might be a good thing. inMusic has the hardware and Engine DJ is mostly great software. Phil’s suggestion that Apple might take over Djay Pro scares me.

1 Like

The controller I wanted to use wasn’t natively supported, but it’s easy enough to map - including having button LEDs switch on/off. I’ve now got the controller to a point where I can DJ with it.

Two flaws for me are the inability to create a database from scratch (i.e. point it to a folder and it scans everything below that folder) and inability to edit tags on the Windows version. You can edit tags if you’re using Mac.

To me the Djay pro analysis algorithm did an excellent job with that track.

I used Tidal its 06:26 in length.

BPM is 127 consistently. Track is quantized it seems. I have run across some dimitri remixes that have drifting bpms, drives me bananas lol.

Yes, it drops 2 beats on Bar 70, but further down the track at Bar 150 the two beats drop again meaning the phrase aligns again.

At Bar 151 the phrase is back on point again and runs correctly to the end of the track.

The drum break at 174 is fire and phrased appropiately.

Beat grid is different from Bar gridding.

Through out the track every grid was correctly lined up with a beat-marker.

If you are planning to mix at the point where the 2 beats drop, you just have to be mindful and anticipate.

Pulled the 08:09 length version from Tidal

This one drops 2 beats or gains 2 beats Between Bar 163 and Bar 164 and stays that way till track ends.

The tempo varies between 123 and 126 as the track progresses but always on beat.

to me this a re-edit.

for very popular tracks this may throw folks off, especially if they are used to the swings and off phrase bits.

I know Paul Dakeyne has being bsuy doing what he calls re-grids on lots of classic tracks for Mastermix, but he’s done the same kind of “fixing” and I’ve heard DJs complain that it’s thrown the track out as those parts are so well known.

The worst example IMO is what he did to Searching by Change.

I have a beefier Lionel Richie - All Night Long and one of the breaks was extended a bit to keep it 4 x 4 .

I always see the groove leave the dance floor when I play that rework/redrum/edit that I have.

They don’t mind the extra beefiness but that extra beat added to the break is the issue. I think what confuses the dance floor is that it’s not a remix as it still as close to the original as possible yet it’s a different structure :rofl:

But I still play it like that because the energy recovers afterwards.

In France, we have a national dimension radio called Fun Radio which obviously uses DjPro5 for the mixes. I was listening in my car and it was completely crazy and unbelievable to hear Beyoncé crazy in love mixed perfectly with Armin Van Buuren Mr Operator ! This software is insane ! :joy:

1 Like

Disruptive technology that fluid beatgrid is.

Just when I thought DJ tech has reached the plateau.

Good stuff though.

Now waiting for which company will take it to the next level.

1 Like

Anyone here old enough to remember RPM software from Gizmolabs?

They were doing similar stuff 14 years ago.

This video is on Vimeo.com number 10253047 (won’t embed nicely).

Gizmolabs was Jorgen Hedberg, the guy behind Digital1200SL and later PCDJ Red, Blue etc.

He developed PCDJ Reflex which later became the self-released RPM.

Which came bundled with the Denon HC4500 way back when. :sunglasses:

Still have a copy of the software btw.

That’s right! Still got the HC4500 in storage. Great product.

After all this Fluid Beatgrid stuff was announced, I dug out RPM and tried to run it. No joy though.

Going by recent comments on the Algoriddim forum, it seems that some DJs are not grasping the concept of the Fluid Beatgrid system.

I guess they’ve only ever used DJ software and are used to seeing a single BPM displayed on each deck. Now they’re seeing the BPM readout change, they’re flipping out and claiming that it’s broken! :rofl:

3 Likes

Post a link, i could do with a laugh :slight_smile:

I do agree with some of the request for straight option as well.

The forum is free research for any other company planning it.

@STU-C try running the algo on https://tidal.com/track/305948743

Keep an eye on Bar 8

1 Like

InMusic needs to buy them asap , rebrand it to engine and combine the products.

Well a staff member over there did put it in the cards…

1 Like