Adding a column to view bitrate information for tracks in the Engine DJ Library/Collection.

For me it is essential to be able to view a column for track bitrate information in the Engine DJ library/collection. I have many 128kbps mp3 files in Apple Music that I don’t want to delete but in Engine DJ I need to know that these are lower quality tracks to avoid playing them over a big sound system. I see this issue has been raised previously but it seems worthwhile to create another topic as it has not been addressed. I have just bought a SC6000M because of the dual layer feature to add 2 digital decks with the footprint of only one player to my primarily vinyl DJ setup. Trying to display bitrate was the first thing I tried to do after installing Engine DJ and was pretty surprised not to find it as an option. If there is a technical reason this can not be implemented can this please be explained as answer to the various requests for this option. Thanks for your help with this Denon

5 Likes

This has been asked for since 2017, guess we’ll wait.

1 Like

I’ve been quite excited to get my hands on the SC6000M, mine should arrive tomorrow. I had been having thoughts about expanding my digital setup further with another SC6000M and x1850 mixer but I won’t be doing that if the software is not up to scratch and a simple feature like this can not be added after 5 years. Guess I’ll join the wait…

If you are okay with a workaround and third party software then you can achieve this with Lexicon.

After downloading and logging in, you can import your Engine library. Then right click tracks and select Edit → Recipes → Copy Field. You can copy the Bitrate field to a field that Engine supports, for example Comment or Composer. Then sync back to Engine or your Denon device directly and you will see the bitrate in that field.

Hope that helps!

1 Like

A paid work around, uh. I’ll wait.

1 Like

This “bitrate” dilemma could be done outside Engine eg: make sure tracks are of a certain quality level before letting them anywhere near a music collection which is going to be used for playing out.

Also bitrate, alone, isn’t always an exclusive identifier of which version of a track could sound best. Some sources, especially mate-of-a-mate-of-a-peer-to-peer-user ones can have a whole load of tracks which are dreadful 128kbps mono/joint-stereo VBR etc tracks, but re-sampled/converted up to 320kbps or even saved as WAV/Flac to make people think they’re getting high quality. Also, some legitimate paid for download sites can have tracks in 256kbps which, for various reasons, might not sound as clear and dynamic as a 192kbps track.

Ears will be a good option, but there are some music comparison software apps which “listen” to tracks with an algorithm to sift through the duplicates and keep the best sounding

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. I know bitrate is not the only thing that determines the audio quality of a track but it is a very good place to start. The point of my post was that this is a very basic feature that is missing from the software. However you interpret or use track bitrate information it should be available to view without using a different app/program.

it’s a real joke!!! I don’t even know why we bother to ask for things, we ask for very basic and simple things, it’s like using an excel and you can’t add them, there are very basic things that should be standard and we don’t have to be asking for them, to top it off denon they ignore us.

The clue is with the word “work”. If the author of Lexicon has done the work, and it’s a feature you can’t live without, you should pay him something. Who works for free? Remember kids, software doesn’t grow on magic software trees. Someone has to create it, and they usually have a mortgage just like you.

Just two things.

1. It’s a column in a GUI, not a whole feature set rewritten.
  2. Open Source software. Like trees they provide things without asking in return.

I understand your point you’re trying to convey, but seriously, paying for a piece of 3 party software just to have access to a column? I’d rather pay Denon to get it done.

There are several (if not dozens) of free apps - I think even windows media player might have a bitrate column.

It would be shoulder-shruggingly “alright” to have a bitrate column in engine DJ software, although not a “basic/essential/must-have” feature . And the vote count for the feature would probably kinda demonstrate that.

I’ve just gotten my Prime 4 I can’t understand not having bitrate on a digital DJ software library manager crazy, disappointed to hear it hasn’t been addressed, is it because it upsets the visual on the touchscreen pretty poor

1 Like