A subtle transient speed dip issue when manipulating speed on the SC5000M when keylock is on?

Do any other M users observe anything remotely similar to this, or have I been imagining it for the last few years? After my year break, I still seem to notice this little speed quirk…

I could swear there’s funky subtle speed stuff on the M even just using the pitch fader or with motor OFF, but also presumably present bending with the record or platter. There would seem to be an increased lag or latency between any positive speed change inputs you make and actual result, and you seem to get a tiny bit of overshoot when you do negative speed changes and then it bumps back to the correct speed. The former might actually be the same cause as the latter and just presenting differently because of the speed change direction, which would mean that with any speed change there’s an extra slight erroneous negative speed change thrown in briefly at first, causing latency when you input positive changes (you don’t get the full amount you want immediately) but this overshoot and then bump back to correct pitch when you do a negative speed change.

This seems worse with Elastique ON, which I suppose could mean it’s just some form of keylock lag and/or distortion like when you get pre-echo of the kick present on the lowest-grade keylocks on some players (like older Hanpin media players)… not sure. We’ve certainly noticed occasional weirdness with the time alignment of kicks with Prime’s implementation of Elastique, as previously mentioned elsewhere. It’s hard to tell just by ear even if this speed quirk’s a real thing but I think I heard it repeatedly and consistently during a set I did entirely with motor OFF. If InMusic has some method of seeing and plotting the real track speed in high-resolution-time-intervals in some diagnostic mode or data output or something when keylock is activated, they might want to check this at the very least to rule it out. I think I might be hearing this and it can contribute some counterintuitive and problematic effects on manual beatmatching and blends.

Edit: I increasingly suspect this occurs mostly with Elastique key processing ON, because even with very fast spectrum analysis and a 10khz tone, it seems when keylock is OFF both jog bend with motor deactivated and the pitch fader are similarly responsive in both directions without either direction having additional detectable lag compared to the other or temporary overshoot. When I’m mixing with keylock, that’s when I think I hear this weird subtle thing – lag in the positive and overshoot in the negative. I can’t utilize any test tones or DVS control signals with keylock ON to verify this, but with keylock OFF the issue doesn’t appear detectable using test signals and real time spectrum analysis. I also don’t quite understand how this would only be present on the M if it’s not related to the motor, so I can’t entirely rule it out on the non-M speed change characteristics when Elastique is ON, too, let alone even say it’s exclusive to the SC5000M/non-M vs the other Prime units.

Heck, if this is real, maybe it’s as simple as sudden rapid accumulation of math errors as a result of decimal place truncating (that would always error down) as opposed to normal rounding rules (that would error down only about 50% of the time and thus eliminate an error skewing across many calculations) when Elastique performs calculations during speed changes. But who knows, this could also be the auditory equivalent of some optical illusion that the ear-brain system produces when speed changing occurs on keylocked DSP audio considering such feats are a largely unnatural effect with having tone remain the same when speed changes. And of course, I could just be in error, hence the reason I’m putting this out there for the community. If it is an ear-brain human audio processing illusion, then you all might start seeing the woman in the seemingly-random colored dots. Apologies :slight_smile: