5000m - when stopping the platter, it still moves a little (which makes noise)

And that motor shuts off (as in no electrical power to it) and a brake engages when you hit cue or pause to stop the platter. Like the rest of us, you are seeing the wobble back in the opposite direction on the one unit with less rotational resistance even when the motor hasn’t even been engaged and you just manually move the platter around to some rotational angles, hold it, and release, yes? It’s not a reversing of the pulsing direct drive motor that’s causing the unit to slightly wobble back in the opposite direction.

Just a brainwave. It sounds a bit like this anomaly:

On an SL the reverse/backwards/wobble thingy :wink: was the magnet force that brings the platter to a stop. A platter with slipmat moved back a little, because of the factory set force to stop the thick rubber fitted platter. That stopping force was kinda adjustable when using a slipmat, but there is no such thing on the M’s for this.

I am hoping we could get a response from Denon if this counterclockwise movement is intended or if its a biproduct of the motor so we can skip this needless passive aggressive back and forth.

Unless you think there’s something wrong with either one of the units (the one wobbling back or the one not wobbling back), I suggest you either investigate getting the non-Ms instead or start using the cue and hot cues more than just pause. If you’re instant starting from the main cue or a hot cue, you won’t have to worry about slight drift from a pause state when you hit play again.

Your workaround is very much appreciated but a workaround is not a fix or a clarification if this is a natural side effect of how the motor works or if its a faulty device.

“Buy another product” is not a helpful advice though, since i am happy with the products i own and i am invested in using the Denon Prime series and the SC5000M in perticular.

Starting up is not an issue, it is the slight counterclockwise movement of the platter after the platter has come to a complete stop which results in a reverse scratch sound being heard.

A few millimeters of slow scratch? Seriously? You can prevent the wobble with your hand on the edge or make it even more gradual. And if there’s no music playing and you want no music playing, why does it matter where it’s slightly drifted? What matters is where it starts playing music again when you do want music to start. If one were worried about it not being in the correct spot when you assign a cue, your hand should be on the platter anyway when you assign it, so it won’t matter that it slightly wobbles back a few millimeters sometimes when you remove your hand from the record.

You completely misunderstand the problem me, and the OP of this thread is describing, even after the countless videos i have uploaded directly showing the problem?

Look at this video, the first time i press pause i hear a scratch, which is all fine since that is what it sounds like when the platter is coming to a stop. After the platter has gone to a full stop, the platter then moves counterclockwise by itself and if you’re unlucky enough to stop at the wrong time of a track a “reverse scratching” sound is heard as the platter moves backwards over a soundwave.

The platter should come to a complete stop and not move backwards by itself, as is shown on my other SC5000M which does not have this problem.

You can see and hear it here yourself in a video i posted previously, its in the first 3 seconds of the video:

And yes, even if i stop the platter with my hand after pressing pause, the motor (and platter) still moves counterclockwise as shown in the video. (i posted a video showcasing this in the other thread describing this issue)

Just drop the fader when you stop the motor…

Then there’s no noise

That is a great workaround, but a workaround is not a fix. Is the platter supposed to move like that? The fact that it doesn’t on my other SC5000M which leads me to believe there is something wrong with the motor of the unit.

If a Denon representative could confirm the platter is supposed to move like that, or confirm that it is a biproduct of using such motors i could rest assured its not a hardware issue and i don’t have to send my unit back (something i really don’t want to do).

Could it be a different stop time setting? The stop sound on the right player seems shorter.

However, the platter indeed dead stops physically on the right player. I would try and pull the platter of the left player and reseat it to see if that helps.

Both players have the minimum stop time, this was one of the first things that i checked. I have also reseated the platter on the left player but the problem persists.^

And yes, now that you mention in, the stop time of the right player really seems shorter. So could it be something iffy about the break mechanism on the left player, the problem with the platter moving counterclockwise might also be related to the break?

Weird stuff. Perhaps exchange left and right platter, but this would be a motor setting.

Would be nice to calibrate that via prefs.

1 Like

I understand what’s going on. I’m trying to find out why it matters to you so much in practice that it’s happening, especially since your right one seems to be the outlier. This is common for many direct drive turntable platters, though some of those afflicted don’t do it in practice because there’s a tonearm & cartridge applying resistance. The old Denon dn-hs5500 didn’t do this, but then you couldn’t even drag the platter for a pitch bend reliably on those, either. What are you doing that this slight wobble back and reverse scratch is messing up?

I appreciate someone finally acknowledging that it is weird. I tried changing the aluminium platters of the player and the left player still has the same behaviour.

It happens even when you rotate the platter around a little manually with no power, hold, and release, so I do not think any calibration of a motor or brake is going to eliminate it.

I already explained why, several times even.

Can we focus on acknowledging the actual problem and not “why it matters” to me that this problem exists? I’m not bringing this up to annoy you or anyone else, i just want confirmation if my unit is working as intended or not.

Sounds like just a matter of inconsistent functioning that is irking you and you just want them to work exactly the same on both. I can sympathize with that. As we’ve found with other aspects of the Prime products, there’s some wide manufacturing tolerances and QA stuff going on. As already mentioned, as well, there are other models of direct drive platters that do this. We’ll see what InMusic says, but I suspect they’re going to tell you to either exchange the units, just tell you to open up a ticket (generic response from most customer support depts), or explain that this wobble is a not-unusual anomaly that has little deleterious effect on actual DJing with the players. In the case of that last one, you’re probably going to still want to exchange one or both of the units to get two that at least do the same thing all the time. Being told it’s common isn’t going to lessen the bother of inconsistency. I also suspect you’re going to get two that do the wobble, though, and are unlikely to get another that does not.

Since you’ve already been removing the platters and swapping things, let’s try two other things:

Does removing the record and slip mat have any effect on the wobble (or lack of) on either unit?

If you tilt the unit that’s not wobbling back a little, say put some notecards or something under one of the feet so it’s obviously imbalanced, can it ever be made to wobble?

Don’t even bother running the motors to test this. Just manually move them around, hold, and release.

@Kafkatrap

Your red deck is ideally how the stop should work and so far you are the only one to produce a video of it. But that’s not to say that the other deck is defective. Now that you have an A & B, maybe someone from denon can chime in.

On a bike if you spin the front wheel and let it stop on it’s own, you will see it kickback the other way just like the deck you are talking about is doing. Most direct drive tts do the same thing.

Here’s an example of TT doing the same when pressing stop https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PUpjql-Z5PI&list=PLw44C4qpmp6SsSVnbLC-bK11uZ1wXWLQK&index=66&t=0s

I think denon could eliminate the sound when the platter kicks back though.

Those of us who are used to it just cut the xfader out

1 Like

Yes. That’s how I used to do it on vinyl too

1 Like

I don’t think I’ve noticed with DVS (Serato, Stanton ST150, SL1200s)

I could be wrong though…recall bias

1 Like