5000 Glitched During Gig

He is posting videos of his issues. Nobody would be happy when they spend $$$$ to see the stuff he’s seeing.

@Wyley1 if you watch the video then look at still from @STU-C posted you will see the problem… THEY ARE SOAKING WET. As I have just tested with my macbook and sky glass tv I can confirm modern electronic equipment does not like water. If i spent ££££££s on equipment I wouldn’t get it wet (o thought dishwasher was ok because plates come out dry. I didn’t realise it uses water too)

I pointed that out didn’t I?

1 Like

You did yes that’s what the problem is. WATER. Just wondering to self what damage internally has been done that over time will kill units totally possibly with some horrendous results (ie fire or death/ serious electric) shock

I think the problem is, that video of them tipping water out of the deck at that festival has given people a false sense of security that these are somehow waterproof… no way would I let any liquid onto the player. Madness.

Gents,

I kinda get your flow on this, but djbertie has real issues and described them extensively in other topics.

Problem is that most of us cannot replicate or even had similar issues when playing tracks for hours on end, while djbertie has (and with vids to prove them).

1 Like

@Reese . I will take my primes into the shower and recreate his problem perfectly. But I don’t think denon would cover it under warranty

@kradcliffe look at pictures… obviously not…

I only asked some questions and the water thing was one of them, I watched his video and noticed the deck was getting rained on.

I do think it’s possibly more down to the file itself. He could have told us if it’s only certain tracks or it does it every track? Certain tracks would also imply a file issue too?

I’m not debating above weirdness in documenting, but check his other/older topics to see the extend of the list of various problems. I’m sure it wasn’t all on rainy days. :wink:

For sake of completeness: Massive List of SC5000 Issues (all with video evidence) - Engine DJ Hardware / Media Players - Official Denon DJ Forum

1 Like

They only need raining on once… from there on any problems could be attributed to water ingress. Or as @STU-C pointed out dodgy files.

1 Like

There is a simple test anyone can do to check if it was the rain. Just cut a strip of toilet paper and wet it just enough to stick on the touchscreen and do the same on top of the jog. Then see if the same effect can be recreated.

@djbertie are you listening? Give it a try pls.

1 Like

I don’t honestly think the rain has much of a part to play in this particular incident, but its 100% not the correct way to treat gear.

Im leaning more towards some kind of corruption in the files, I think it says on the thread @Reese shared that he has 50000 tracks. It would be almost miraculous if there wasn’t some issues in amongst that lot.

2 Likes

The track he was using was from Promo Only. I get cd’s once and awhile from them and they are a legit pool running for at least the past 15-20years. Bad or corrupt tracks causes restarts, resets, and error messages.

Has anyone with crapacitive tried the test yet?

Not after dishwashing my new telly no… Trying to work out how to tell the missus

1 Like

Well I just did on my touchscreen and the effect that I knew that would happened (not responding correctly to touch), happened. I don’t have a crapacitive jog to recreate exactly what Bertie experienced. Therefore until the test is falsified we can assume it was the rain for this one.

1 Like

I had an issue similar to that cueing problem the other week, it was on a track I DL from Soundcloud, I have 2 copies of the track in my library for some reason so I deleted the corrupted one and re-analysed the track , it solved the issue.

Id try and get another copy of the music file or check for a dupe in the library then go from there.

1 Like

I think in all honesty we can put ALL his problems down to user abuse/misuse and or corrupt library … Case(s) solved

3 Likes

FWIW, I think that’s too harsh on the OP.

He sees problems and assumes it must be the players “glitching”.

It could be a problem with the player, but the problem is the many video’s he’s posted have some shortfalls.

For example, you can’t easily deduce what he was doing at the time - you can’t see the whole player or what he’s touching. For example, you can’t see if sync is on, slip is on etc…

I see his finger stabbing a cue point but I’m not sure what this is supposed to show.

There’s no way to work this out unless you were to get a better video that shows the context.

It doesn’t help that it’s raining - water is very hard to deal with on a capacitive sensor. Word to @Wyley1 though - resistive touch screens can also get mis-calibrated and mechanical switches (like on CDJ jogs) fail too, especially when wet, so it’s swings and roundabouts here.

I’d always be suspicious of a corrupt file or database if I get weirdness. In my experience the SC6000s are pretty robust - I’ve rarely had a problem.

To try and be more constructive though - it’s always possible you could see the deck doing something you can’t explain and as a last resort you want to reboot. In this case the Primes have an ace up their sleeve: you can use the second layer on the good one to mix while you power cycle the troublesome one. Then when the live performance is over, you can investigate.

2 Likes

We all wanna help him out and a test was even proposed to see if his issue was actually environmental. Snow or rain touching the jog in vinyl mode could cause what we see. There is the possibility that when he brings the track to the cue point the droplets are making the jog behave like it’s being touched.

Yes, I seen this reflected in a video in his other post. I was able to repeat one of those but couldn’t see the other vids cause they’re private. But I do think some of the other issues he posted were resolved though updates.

Yep. It could indeed. I mean from my point of view it’s useful to know how to recover if your gear does something unexpected. For example, more than once I’ve been using a CDJ with a broken play button (because they get hammered as hard as a rental car), so worked around it by using the jog to release and turning off auto cue. It’s an old trick, but there’s nothing worse that being caught out with dead air.

On the SC6000, I lock out needle drop during playing so accidentally brushing the screen won’t cause an unexpected jump. It’s a sensible design by Denon that you can select tracks either with either touchscreen or the rotary encoder - 2 ways to drive the UI gives you more security.

I guess what I’m saying is that debugging something is tricky when you are caught by surprise. I think it’s best to do it by investigating methodically when you aren’t in the middle of a mix. It makes for better videos, anyhow.

1 Like