That's it, I'm done with it

Hi All, just revisiting a few older threads to let people know we have 2 new areas to report bugs and suggest features:

https://community.enginedj.com/c/feature-requests & https://community.enginedj.com/c/bug-reports

Please ensure you read the guidelines clearing before creating a new post, this news system works on ‘liking’ existing posts to raise awareness and creating a new one if it does not already exists.

Regards J

2 Likes

Good idea but sale and orders don’t measure UX or customer experience. Instead, them measure marketing and sales.

That’s more a case of being completely wrong.

There have been improvements to Engine Prime and more on the way.

Arguably, that’s not true. His post/argument was over 2 years ago … And 2 years on though there have been updates ‘arguably again’ many problems still exist.

Taaa daaaaa! !

Your response does not make any sense?

You quoted the guy for putting his argument across about a situation more than 2 years ago with a response of:-

I pointed out to you why this was not the case.

And why how this claim being 2 years later was “arguably” not true and “arguably again” not the case.

If you’re going to pick at small segments of peoples posts/arguments from over two years ago with a response stating it’s now 2 years later not the case as you put it then at least understand how clearly at the time of the original post it was NOT.

Think about that for a moment to yourself and then maybe just maybe you might have a proper “Taaa daaaaa! !” moment.

I think I can clarify this because I think I know what the OP is referring to as I too would also like to know the answer to this. I’ll use the feature labels found in the SC 5000 Prime User Manual for better clarity. I think by master beatgrid he means the Beat Counter that is displayed in Performance Mode found above the Time Remaining/Elapsed feature. Basically the two sets of 4 rectangular blocks, the top one being white, the bottom one being green. Those familiar with Pioneer software would know this as the Phase Meter on their devices. These blocks light up to display a visual of what beat, 1 through 4, the currently playing tracks are on. The top set of white bricks display the beat of track playing on the other media player, the bottom set of green bricks displays the beat of the track playing on the media player you are currently on and using. A lot of people use the Beat Counter for beatmatching purposes so they don’t incorrectly beatmatch the track they are mixing in on the wrong beat of the currently playing track. What the OP is frustrated about is that currently, on the Denon media players, the top set of white bricks on the Beat Counter display ONLY functions if you have Sync enabled. If Sync is disabled, the top set of bricks do nothing, they don’t light up, they don’t display the current beat position of the other media player. He is trying to say, I think, what is the point of having the Beat Counter work only when Sync is enabled because, its Sync, it does the beat matching automatically. His critique I think is that a fully functioning Beat Counter is more useful for those people that aren’t using Sync because its a way to double check, visually, that their manual nudging of the platters, tempo adjustments, and track start timing are good. I personally agree with this. It is still useful to have the Beat Counter work while Sync is enabled because you can still incorrectly start your incoming track on the wrong beat of the playing track and it will sound pretty terrible in some cases, however I agree with the OP that the Beat Counter feature needs to display beat positions of both media players regardless of Sync being enabled or not. A lot of the competition’s players do this and it is very useful.

I would also like address the second part of his comment, “Apart from that, I expect a product that costs so much money that the beat does not run away. If you work with 4 decks, without sync, it should not be that the beat at 125.3 is slower than on an other player / layer that has 125.3. For example, Pionner: here the problem is not so massive.” I have noticed this issue a lot while playing and would appreciate some clarification from Denon. I think he is trying to say that you can have one track on one media player, playing at 125.3 BPM according the Deck Tempo display and another track on another media player also playing at 125.3 BPM according to the Deck Tempo display and yet despite his best efforts to keep them beat matched, they often drift apart as if their BPM that is being displayed is actually not identical but slightly different. I have experienced this a lot as well. Both Deck Tempo displays on both players show identical BPM, I will beat match an incoming track, it will sound good, kicks are hitting at the same time, highs are synchronized, yet often 10, 15, 20 seconds later everything starts to desynchronize. Beats are off, highs are off but both tracks are playing at 120 BPM according to the Deck Tempo display and should stay tight. Why is this? Is the Deck Tempo rounding and showing an inaccurate BPM? Is it user error? Its super frustrating. I hope I was able to clarify this part of his post and I appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

For the BPM readout, there are ten 100ths of a bpm between each tenth. So, 120.3 could be 120.30, 120.31, 120.32, 120.33, 120.34, 120.35, 120.36, 120.37, 120.38, or 120.39 depending on the fader position. It would be nice if the players had a display for the 100th position (displaying 120.35 instead of 120.3 for example). Pioneer players automatically round to the next five 100ths of a bpm as a feature. This is where using your ear comes into play while not using sync. A slight nudge and adjustment and you are off to the races. I may be slightly biased, though. When I started learning how to play DNB, Techno, and Hard Techno on 3 and 4 decks, they were turntables.

Maybe create a feature request to display the bpm read out to the nearest hundredth?

1 Like

There was a very early firmware/software that went to 100ths of a BPM, many of us complained when they inexplicably got rid of it.

1 Like

That was originally in reference to the pitch change percentage, which now does go to the hundredth. We are referring to the BPM counter here.

Ahhh, My bad.

1 Like

I agree the bpm should work like on Pioneer. It should round the effective bpm. From a usability perspective it makes the most sense. Having a disconnect between what the user sees and what’s happening is really bad.

I use sync 99% of the time, but for the times I don’t, this is really annoying.

1 Like

BPM was double-digit at an early point, too:

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.