SWEEP FX doesn't effect any longer in the Headphones when Prelistening after migration to v 3.1.0

Dear @SlayForMoney,

sorry to have a furthermore question:

Where did you find this instruction, pls? I didn’t find it anywhere.

The only hint I found was at “what’s new” listed on the update page and it is as follows:

• Track Preview can now be routed directly to the headphones for instant track previews without setting the cue source in advance. (PRIME 4)

I’m confused and of course really disappointed that this feature is passed away. I need it so badly for beatmatching and I hope it is only a bug and will be fixed by DENON’s staff at their earliest convenience.

Thank’s in advance for your kind assistance and enjoy the day

Brgds BeatMaster

The FX will most probably be a bug moving from DSP to software as the other Prime stand alone devices that are software based have their filter sweep FX included in the headphones.

Hopefully they’ll be on the case soon.

Moin @MrWilks,

thank’s for your feed back, highly appreceated.

Slowly things become clear. I assume, you use the SWEEP FX “Filter” when you are beatmaching as you are in the business for a long time, and you are skilled in old school mixing and listening.

Are you missing this feature?

Quick question: DSP —> Demand Side Platform ?

Unfortunatly I had not heard anything in this matter from DENON’s side and imo it makes an important difference, if it is a bug or if this feature is deleted on purpose.

Thanks for your endeavours in advance and enjoy the day, whereever you are.

Brgds BeatMaster

1 Like

Hi @BeatMaster

DSP Is the Digital Signal Processor and the Prime 4 has a dedicated chip. It has now moved to the software like the other Prime all-in-one consoles. It hasn’t made any difference to the quality but has allowed things like FX to be added etc.

The Prime sweep FX have four sound options and one of those is the filter. I will have a look a little later at my Prime 4 and compare to my Prime Go.

I am not sure if Denon DJ know yet but I will have a look a little later and raise a bug report for it if it doesn’t work like it did before. Hopefully Denon DJ can look into a fix if it is not working as intended.

1 Like

Moin @MrWilks,

thank you very much for your information and I blieve it will be helpful for all us encountered with this issue.

To the functionality of the Prime Go I regret, I can’t say something, as I use the Prime 4 only. I’m sure to have a look for the Prime Go will clarify the things.

It’s a fact that before the update v3.1.0 has been launched, the SWEEP FX’s (Filter, Echo, Wash, and Noise) worked properly regarding Prime 4. (I toggled sometimes between v3.0.1 and v3.1.0 and perused.)

I addressed my first post to @JWiLL from DENON’s staff, but I didn’t receive any comment yet, neither if it’s a bug or deleted by purpose.

To create a bug report is a good idea, I will wait a little bit to collect more posts here and then I should do as well. Pls be so kind, as to keep me posted.

Thank you very much again for your cooperation and enjoy the day.

Brgds BeatMaster

1 Like

I can check the X1800 as it’s similar FX processing design of the Prime4 prior to the move to software FX.

Its worth considering that it may not be technically feasible to prelisten to software based FX based on the audio signal chain.

1 Like

Hello @mufasa,

many thanks for this explanation:

I’m keen on what DENON will answer, but your post is similar what @MrWilks assumed:

We will wait, and thanks again.

Brgds BeatMaster

Sorry, I should have been a little clearer. It has moved away from this chip with the latest update. It now handles the audio with software.

Hopefully they’ll be around to check in with us and clarify if it’s normal now.

1 Like

Moin @MrWilks and @mufasa,

thanks again. Now things are starting to become transparent. @mufasa posted similar.

To cut a long story short, the result seems to be:

The SWEEP FX’s changed from HARDWARE execution to a SOFTWARE solution. And the software solution is only working behind the prelistening feature.

If this will be true, I think working without filters (high, mid-range, and low frequency) is hard stuff for professional beatmatching. But we will see …

Enjoy the rest of the day

Brgds BeatMaster

1 Like

Hey folks,

looks like most of the explaining has been already done by the community. I can step in and officially say that this is correct - we have brought most of the mixer under software control in a way that it now behaves in line with the other all in one units.

This was done mostly to be able to take advantage of the new slew of software effects that we have brought forth in EOS 3.1. It has also some additional benefits such as no longer having to select a cue channel to preview or having to select a channel to use the sampler.

We have done our best to maintain the feel and behavior as much as possible here, but this change has made it through unannounced.

This is something that we can fix, and I think the bigger question here is now whether it makes sense to make this change, not just for Prime 4 units, but for the entire ecoystem. I’d like to hear everyone’s thoughts on the matter.

I also see that at least one person on the thread has reported that sweep effects have stopped working completely. First trouble shooting step would be to do a factory reset. If that doesn’t work, please contact support via the link at the top of the page. Apologies for the inconvenience.

7 Likes

Is it possible to have a preference to set FX pre- or post fader? So people could choose.

4 Likes

Moin @Reese,

best idea I read in this discussion :innocent:

Thanks for this and enjoy the afternoon.

Brgds from HAM BeatMaster

1 Like

Id personally like to have audible filter in the headphones on the Prime 2, as BeatMaster said, you can perform mixes with just the filters so it would be nice to have them pre-set in the headphones before bringing in.

5 Likes

dear @BeatMaster and Friends:

After thinking about your problem, analyzing and testing, I apologize for my answer, I had not understood your problem correctly.

I think you mean that when you preview from the song screen you cannot apply the effects that you mention, the button flashes but the effect does not apply,

I have verified that the “NOT working” is correct, with version 3.1 no effects are applied, although I never use this preview option (I load the song on the deck and listen to it, neither they are applied if I have the Channel Fader down)

I was not aware that in previous versions it allowed you to apply effects such as the filter etc… Personally I think that for me it is not something useful, although if it worked before,

I understand that it should work now with 3.1 It is It is very possible that since the effects were closely related to the mixer, that having completely redesigned this section in 3.1, now it is not possible to use it, although

I suppose that @denon staff should explain better if this question is possible, or if you have to give it up in favor of the new improvements (which are many)

Summary: the only way to use any effect is to raise the Fader of the channel itself. Like the sampler, now it comes out directly from the master output, before you could apply effects to it since it came out through channel 4, now it’s much more comfortable, even though you can’t apply effects.

I guess you’ll have to get used to it, but of course I don’t recommend that you stay at 3.0.1, regards

Edit sorry for the big paragraph, I’ve read the answers late

1 Like

Dear @AIRVince and other respected members in this thread.

I own the newer SC Live 4 unit and the issue that ALL the effects (Sweep and BPM, and now Touch FX too) were post fader and not audible in CUE / headphone has been always the case for me since day one (EOS 2.X). I find it to be a big detractor for Denon controllers and a serious annoyance to not be able to hear how a certain effect would sound like when you try to mix in/out a track.

The upgraded in FX in EOS 3.1 is most welcome and much appreciated as the FX on the SC live unit were underwhelming to say the least (compared to standalone Pioneers). The new Touch FX is also really great (but very lacking dry/wet knob!). The new BPM FX are great but with their added complexity / parameters it makes it even harder to predict how they’ll sound on the mains!

I REALLY hope that Denon chooses to add a “selector” in the global settings to let people choose whether they want all their FX pre-fader (audible in headphones) or post-fader (not audible in headphone but “lasting” when when channel fader is down). I hope this will apply to ALL Engine OS units (both Prime and SC Live). Please fix this, Denon.

Thank you

4 Likes

Hi, this needs raising as a feature request if you feel so strongly about it being implemented (it might already have one, I haven’t looked), that way it can be voted on to see how popular it is.

My personal opinion is that sweep fx and filters should be audible in the headphones (some aren’t) but standard FX should remain post fader as they are on pretty much all DJ hardware across the industry. You as the DJ are responsible for keeping these in check, and practising at home to determine best settings, as we’ve been doing on Pioneer DJM mixers for 25yrs or so, since the DJM-500 first released all those years back.

Looks like a feature request thread thing, Otherwise this thread will end up being a debate between perhaps a few or hundred people. Votes will indicate level of interest.

Please vote

https://community.enginedj.com/t/pre-fader-or-post-fader-auto-switch-for-sweep-fx-and-fx-effects/49344?u=mufasa

Just to say I would also be annoyed if something that worked stops working without warning.

I remember when the ability to sort libraries to group missing red files together was removed because it was apparently a “bug” , here we are 5 years later …still no way to properly manage missing files in one’s library.

Imagine if your toaster suddenly stops toasting waffles but still does bread.

3 Likes

Fully agree.

4 Likes

Do the two need splitting by type? im in the camp that Sweep FX should be pre and normal should be post.

2 Likes

I have no horse in this race.

I would let the folks who need this to have a robust debate on how they would prefer it as @AIRVince suggested.

The only reason I’m commenting is this is the 3rd thing removed, remember the loop/beatjump decoupling as well.

People get used to features or find ways to use even unintended features , that’s the cornerstone of DJing.

3 Likes