SSH on the Prime 4

Yeah, same, i’ll look into this more tomorrow.

There are AMD SoC’s out there and they are passively cooled. (at least the two i have) I own 2 devices with such. the AMD Geode which is an X86 compatible SoC inside a Wyse S10 Thin client.

And more grunty is a AMD GX-217GA

ron@web:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor  : 0
vendor_id  : AuthenticAMD
cpu family  : 22
model    : 0
model name  : AMD GX-217GA SOC with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics

Both these devices I own and can produce photographic evidence of existing if you really want it, but take my word both are passive cooled. the latter is a small form factor PC i am using as a low-power (Draw) Home server for services where an x86 processor is required.

As for the rest of the thread, Nerds be nerds! we love learning what makes cool stuff tick, even if it serves us no useful purpose in the end. that said, the hacker space is around for a reason!

I’ll rephrase, to my current knowledge, every AMD chip with Vega graphics that I am aware of needs active cooling in some way, either by direct cooling or by airflow generated via case fans. I did specifically mention Vega graphics in my original post.

The chip you mentioned doesn’t have Vega graphics, it uses the older HD Radeon integrated graphics that runs at 450MHz - about the same or lower than many modern ARM Mali chips, so completely passive cooling at that level is easily doable. Vega 11 Integrated graphics can boost to around 1200MHz, hence the need for active cooling, or a hard boost clock limit.

As for hackability, I prefer my DJ equipment in a reliable stock state as when you’re gigging with it, the last thing you need is any additional potential for instability.

Possibly part of the agreement with Tidal / any future streaming services is that SSH type access isn’t available?

Djs what is the meaning of this discussion? Whatever it has inside, prime 4 is a gun!!! We may need some more options but what’s inside ok, I think it’s not so important. Or before you buy did anyone ask how many memory or what processor or what gpu has inside? I don’t think that any owner asked these details So let’s do crazy mixes!!!

You do your mixes, i will do my research. Yes i want to know what’s in it and what it does. I don’t like having devices that are mysterious, i’m a programmer i will always want to figure these things out and as the topic has shown, i am not alone.

@JonnyXDA In my experience community involvement makes things more stable, not less stable. Any game that has community patches becomes more stable. And in operating systems there is usually a host of third party programs that fix things the vendor should have long fixed themselves. Many eyes see more then a few eyes. Let’s profit from that and all have a better experience.

And mind you, i’m not saying Denon did a bad job, i think they build one hell of a device here.

4 Likes

Hello, I am a programmer too and I work as a network administrator on a worldwide Industry. But what has to do this with opening ssh port and see what exactly? It’s not an android phone, it’s not a Cisco call center it’s a dj controller. And why you write down like a to be angry? Come on let’s say you have ssh access, then what? This is what I don’t understand, what will you do then? Fine tuning of engine OS? Maybe your own firmware? Please explain us what could you do with this ssh access.

1 Like

I am not sure what gives you the impression that i am angry. I very much am not.

And yes, all the reasons you listed are valid reasons to have access. Of course, sooner or later someone will figure out a way to flash a new firmware on this anyway, but learning how a device functions is an important step on every journey into unknown territory.

But that aside, it is still my device, you know. And because it is my hardware i should be allowed to access it, regardless of any other point made here.

2 Likes

Hopefully it wouldnt lead to an annoying barrage of begging posts, where a small amount of part-correct information is mixed with guesswork and a few graphs or screen shots.

You know like “I can see from SSH that there’s a Intel P-ARM 2028 B (Noir edition) registering. That device is known to be capable of doing 8 blahs simultaneously but the Prime bluh only seems to be keeping 7 blahs busy. Why can’t you implement my last 16 suggestions and requests which, I think would all only take up half of that last blah.

Sorry for the angry. I did not understand correct your writing mood. Ok, of course it’s your device, nobody told the opposite. I don’t believe that like Samsung smart tvs that you can access service menu mode with special parameters is possible on this device but… In this world nothing is impossible also.

after some squinting, yes it’s indeed a RockChip RK3288-C0 on a removable compute module, as @JonnyXDA also mentioned. (It’s all in the fcc docs) also actively cooled :sunglasses:

I just find these things fascinating, even if it serves me no useful purpose, though in theory if Denon wanted to offer a service upgrade in the future, they easily could do so, just for swapping the compute module for a newer one in the future if they chose to do such.

@dj_chris Well this isn’t exactly a cheap smart tv either, is it? But to give you one example: The Prime 4 has Resolume integration, which is cool, but maybe i want to integrate similar functions into other programs. Like, imagine doing a live stream online and your talkover button will also automatically switch to a different camera. A feature like that would be way too specific for the Denon devs to work on, but with direct access to the device i could easily write a script that sends the information i need over the network and changes things appropriately on a streaming rig.

I’m a tech enthusiast, i love to know what’s going on under the hood, even if i don’t do anything with that knowledge, it’s just fun to know these things! you do you though!

2 Likes

Just RE the stageLinq protocol, it’s a pretty simple protocol, discovery on UDP with a broadcast on port 51337 when the application (resolume, soundswitch etc.) startup. The packet contains metadata about the application + a TCP port for the denon device to talk to. This TCP port is then used for all further communications.

I was intrigued by your ‘There is no fan in the SC5000’ as i know my 5000M have had what can only be described as a fan come on all be it very rarely.

Looking at the internals of the units there is indeed some cooling, 2 fans to be precise :slight_smile:

Yes, SC5000M has fans, SC5000 does not. The M has additional moving parts that need active cooling, non-M does not.

I would have thought both units would have required fans, i stand corrected. :+1:

I noticed that the Prime 4 is running linux and that SSH is active. Does anyone have the public key required to log into it? It might finally shed some light about whats under the hood of this puppy.

It’d be a private key you’d be looking for; the public key would be on the Prime 4 itself, listed as one of the authorized keys.

Hacking into the device aside, I do support Denon unlocking and open sourcing the Engine Prime software. It’d be a big selling point to me; Denon could leverage the crowd for faster feature development and bug fixes, and pull what they like into their own canonical distros.

Imagine if the “crowd” worked on features like: smart crates, song previews, or even stems (ala Traktor and dJay Pro)? These features might be available right now, if only in some limited form.

Denon would have a first mover advantage in offering a more open platform, thereby diminishing the effects of any code that competitors might use. Or Denon could only license their open sourced code for non-commercial use.

Bose is the closest example of a company I can think of in the audio world to loosen control of its IP (at one point, anyway). Tesla is another technologically driven company that has done so. Both are huge, successful companies. Why not Denon?

I’ve also heard that open sourcing that which your competitors find valuable --and close sourcing what your own company finds valuable-- is a great way to compete. Denon’s advantage now seems to be its powerful hardware. Meanwhile most DJ platforms offer similar features, while Denon is still trying to catch up on the software side; so I’m not sure what’s even worthwhile for Denon to close source at this point.

Just my two cents.

5 Likes

Yeah you are right, i always get the two mixed up.

…and VirtualDJ

1 Like

I couldn’t agree more with this post

3 Likes

So far it was rather relaxed, a few minor skirmishes aside.

1 Like