SD Card vs. Ext. SSD. Whats the best to use?

So… if the equipment natively had a 2.5" SATA bay, obviously it would have a SATA controller and that would pass all the SATA speed to the equipment’s processor. But that would require it to have USB 3.0 ports so that data transfer with the EDJ Desktop was fast, as it would not make sense to have to remove the SSD from the controller’s enclosure to connect it to a PC and transfer. It would be a different device, as well as the Prime’s hardware. But as the objective of the SC Live is to be more cheap, so it implies having cheaper hardware… Although Pioneer with its XDJ and now with Opus, which are much more expensive equipment, still don’t have an SSD bay and they don’t care about that…

i use a 512 gb sandisk extreme sd on sc live 4 with 41,000 songs! I don’t see much difference from the samsung t5 ssd! the only difference I see when I sync playlists in the mac ! the sd card is much slower to sync playlists than the t5

1 Like

You can use an SD-USB 3.0 adapter. If the card has a high-write speed, it will be very fast, less than an SSD, but it will be fast. These readers built into notebooks use the USB 2.0 bus.

I’m sorry, the card I use is this one!

1 Like

You use it with an adapter to put it on the equipment, correct? Does the card not come off easily from the adapter? Is it stuck well? I’ve seen reports here on the forum that some people had problems with microSD precisely because it’s inside an adapter… I’m thinking of buying one of those professionals that already comes in the Standard SD format, but they are quite expensive…

Ive got a UHS-ii Lexar SD for my camera, its sped up the processing of RAW images noticeably but it cost a fortune, surely a good quality USB 3.0 flash drive is a better value option?

USB 3.0 flash drive 512GB high recording speed and still original (as there are many, many fakes) will be much more expensive than an SD Card, as they are not popular. In that case, it is more advantageous to use an external SSD.

1 Like

Ah yeah fair point, what about something like a rugged SSD with fast USB connection?

Rugged SSD from a proper brand will likely have decent random IOPS which is handy for swapping between tracks, exporting, importing, upgrading libraries and the like.

1 Like

Yeah i just looked on Amazon and the Sandisk extreme 1tb SSD is £99 which seems a great deal to me.

1 Like

I have a spare 500GB Samsung Evo SSD kept at home. In my case, I would just buy a USB 3.0 casing and put it inside.

1 Like

Same combination of both here. That 512 (and 256) Sandisk write speeds are quite slow though.

The SSD is in the Prime 4 and SD in the Prime Go.

Sandisk