SC5000M Custom platters - let's see them!

Thanks for the info, one more question since I can’t make it fit the screws how did you did it ?

When you drill the holes for the screws, use a bit slightly wider than the screw thread, this will give you some room to manoeuvre the vinyl when reattaching the screws, then using a countersink bit to allow you to gently remove some of the vinyl for the countersink head of the screw to sit in, it should grip no problem. :ok_hand:

4 Likes

My SC5000M MK2 :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: with white vinyl in action!:

4 Likes

Nice and clean looking, look really cool.

Love that it’s just not me that still has the protective plastic on the deck screens.

4 Likes

I also have them. In real life it looks even better.

I have tried a few custom vinyl (see picture) however have settled and am happy with 10" clear Serato discs. I found 7" too restrictive for scratching (although the new 9" on the sc6000m would have been perfect). I also upgraded the caps and put a valve / tube preamp after the outputs. The digital sound is perfect as is however (to me) sounds better through a preamp. I am a fan of the Mastersound mixers which use valves also.

I used the 7" vinyl removed from the player as a template guide for drilling. Make sure you put the new record on a pen or some kind of spindle to keep it central. I also found that the 10" was slightly thicker than the 7" and so it needed longer screws to secure the metal vinyl adaptor to the records. I got a box of assorted computer / laptop screws and found the best fit. All works perfect and I keep them on ‘normal’ torque which gives more expression to the scratching (record not pulling away so much).

Anyway enjoy the mods!

3 Likes

I’m curious what you’re using. I thought about adding one to my setup, as well.

Hi Kevin, I’m using this great line level tube preamp from AliExpress. Don’t be tempted get one with a DAC or Bluetooth as pure analogue is the way to go for sound quality.

I have upgraded the tubes to Tested/Matched Pair (2 Tubes) 7-Pin GE JAN 5654W from Amazon also as they sound better than the stock Chinese tubes.

I have the preamp running from the ‘record out’ on the mixer to cut out any gain stage on the mixer. You could run it from the unbalanced outs also if you wanted. My hope is to get a fully balanced XLR version for the mains also some day.

Sound quality is always subjective however to me it sounds perfect. I have been swapping around gear for years, A&H, Pioneer, Rane, Technics, Denon, Ecler, Wood speakers, ABS Speakers etc

I’m now completely satisfied with the sound quality.

Enjoy!

1 Like

Thanks for sharing! That really is an affordable tube amp :ok_hand:

I tempted to give it a shot!

anybody found 8" vinyls for the 6km’s? id like to customise the platters. however like in ChrisSportif post i too prefer a matt finish and like the slope better from the ns7ii/ ns7iii. id like see if these have been fitted to the 6km as more options would open up to add great custom 7" vinyls that are widely available.

1 Like

3 Likes

you can find them here:

https://www.12inchskinz.com/denon-sc6000-skinz/

1 Like

Does anyone know if the Rane one platters fit? They even have the two little pins at the bottom that line up with the controller. But the size is 7.2" where it says 7" for the sc5000m ones.

I really like the legacy turntable look of them.

3 Likes

Was wondering the same thing. Would love to see they platters on my M’s

1 Like

They won’t fit on the 5000m because of that led ring. However it looks to be the perfect fit for the 6000m though. And if someone wants to fit a bigger top platter to their rane one could probably use the 6000m platter.

If this is the case and it works we might see 6000m owners give up a little platter space for looks.

Ahh. The led ring I’ve grown to dislike due to how bright they are and horrible they look in the dark. Yet another reason for me to dislike it lol.

im awaiting rane (inmusic) to open the parts dept so i can do justice to the 6kms platter look lol

These look super clean. I also painted my knobs black. I have a spare part NS7 laying around. Never thought about doing this swap

Someone has posted this on Facebook

InMusic you need to sell those platters independently !!! The sc6000m with the Rane One platter looks sexy as hell :star_struck:

And the Rane One with the sc6000m platter just brings the mobile thing to another level with no size compromises !

9 Likes