SC5000 bricked after update

Hi all,

I have reached out to Denon Support on this issue but haven’t heard from them other than one response a week later saying ‘update your unit’.

I updated to 3.3.0 without issue and used the SC5000 for several hours that evening. Once powered down and rebooted the text on the screen was all garbled (looking like some sort of software bug as the boot up process was normal). This proceeded to get worse until now the device just hangs on boot.

Attached are some pictures and videos of the state it progressed through and its current state.

To say I’m disappointed is an understatement. From the terrible internal ground issue on the X1800 mixers (which mine is plagued with) to now this, it’s impossible for me to recommend Denon products going forward-- and this is coming from someone that owns a SC5000, X1800, LC6000 and Prime Go.

Garbled text after update and reboot:

Device stuck at boot screen after reinstalling 3.3.0 and trying 3.4.0:

Screen glitch issue:

More screen glitch issues:

Hoping this post can get me some actual support on this unfortunate incident.

If you did not use the usb cable as the updating method that is your next step so…they kinda told you right :grimacing:

Every method has been used now.

USB cable was PC updater was used to roll back and update to current firmwares.

Device is currently sitting on 3.4.0

Your unit boots up and makes its way into Engine OS so all is not lost. Have you tried a factory reset and also going back to an earlier firmware version like 3.2.0 for example to see if the problem persists?

This kind of display problem makes me think of a problem of poor connection of the cable between the motherboard and the screen however

This but also: Denon sc5000m stuck on Engine OS Screen will not update - #5 by Reese

1 Like

It’s another issue

I wasn’t pointing to the issue but to a specific post by Reese on how to drain power from the unit.

Oh ok ! my mistake, i think i’m tired

All of this has been tried.

Full power drain without AC plug connected to drain the capacitors.

It’s been downgraded back to early working firmware versions and back up to newer versions. Many factory resets performed with no change.

It doesn’t boot to the OS anymore— just hangs at the boot screen with the firmware version displayed.

It’s not a physical issue with the screen cable as the screen remains perfect during the boot/flash/HID pc mode (when I could actually get into it)

Just to clarify, the earlier working firmware now does not work without issues, even after downgrading back to them?

Correct. All firmwares had the scrambled text issue and now it has progressed to not being able to boot, regardless of firmware version.

To note: the device worked perfectly fine after updating to 3.3.0. It was only after a power cycle where all issues begun.

I’ll guess there’s a chip that’s gone. It’s looking more likely that a repair is going to be needed.

Well, I think you’ve explored all the software options. If the display is correct during the start-up sequence but not afterwards, I think there must be a fault somewhere in one of the components of the graphics circuit. I think you should contact Denon support to take charge of repairing your player.

Considering the graphics artifacts I believe it’s a Graphics Processor or memory failure