Sc live 2 and 4 without hd/ssd bay? why?

So far I don’t understand the purpose of SC Live 2 and 4: is it a new product or do they replace Prime 2 and 4 respectively?

And why don’t they include an internal bay for HD/SSD? And why do they have an obsolete USB 2.0 port instead of 3.0? Imagine a person who has a 500GB HD full of music and connects it to this precarious USB 2.0 port… imagine how slow it is to read the data…

“Oh, use a thumb drive…”. Well, if I find a 1TB one at an affordable price, it might be… but it’s totally unfeasible…

And it’s a pity that the Prime line was discontinued… Denon could make an “MK2” version of them… Anyway, there are companies that the product development department leaves a lot to be desired in some points…

Yes

It hasn’t been

…based on ?

1 Like

Prime line discontinued??? hmm… :slight_smile:

If you find a dealer that still has it, I’d appreciate it. Here in Latin America, there is nowhere else, I can only find used ones.

USB 2.0 is slow, especially for those who use an external HD/SSD, perhaps this is not the real purpose of these devices…

Depends on the implementation. People forget stuff…

• USB 2.0 is 480Mbps. That’s 60MB per second.
  • Due to overhead it probably tops out at 40MB per second.
  • Enough for tracks to load fast. Even WAV and FLAC.

So USB 2.0 isn’t slow. Most USB 3.0 devices are 2.0 speed unless you get the proper brands.

2 Likes

More than fast enough for everything that it’s used for. USB3 is probably in the other devices primarily because the used chipset had it on board.

With an SSD it would matter in theory, but doesnt since nothing it trying to read faster than 60 MB/s

Also I understand the Live is the cheaper product line below Prime products, so it’s natural some features are missing ig

Most of the time, it barely reaches half of that fee amount. Speed depends on many factors. Particularly, I don’t think it’s suitable for external HD/SSD, because HDs require more energy and most USB 2.0 ports don’t have enough, causing interruptions. USB 2.0 can provide up to 500mA (not enough for most high performance hard drives), USB 3.0 provides 1A. Of course this is indifferent when using SSD.

https://allegro.pl/oferta/denon-dj-prime-4-kontroler-13174227736?utm_medium=afiliacja&utm_source=ctr_b&utm_campaign=04bc5acb-64cc-4bc5-9aeb-6b617a6a181d

Normal laptop HDD (2,5") don’t. If they do, they’re ■■■■. And it makes 0 sense to use a high performance drive for that (in fact it makes 0 sense to build a high performance hardware drive for laptops since about 8 years ago when 2,5" SSDs became affordable). 3,5" drives cant live of 4,5W (900mA for USB 3) either, need external power supply of about 10W anyway.

For SSDs it becomes far more relevant, since speed and power could be higher when actually utilising the speed. But probably only for High performance PCIe SSDs. those are definitely over 2,5 and often times over 4,5W.

I think there are most discussions about the pro/cons, the general use and for who it might be the best option

I think it’s rather the entry level version of Prime 2 and 4. So Live is “middle class”, Prime gear is “premium and standalone gear” and Numark and other licenced or in house inMusic companies will deliver on the “entry level class” products, I guess