Recording stopped because write speed to slow

You can for a short while , maybe a few minutes, but it’ll eventually exceed the drives I/o capability- use two fast drives , one for recording , one for playing

Is it possible to record to SD card whilst playing my music from USB?

I added an SD card thinking it might save on that but it saved to my USB.

The weird thing is when I remove the SD card I get the error of write speed is slow but it works fine and records on my USB with the SD card in.

From the main menu it is possible to select the destination of the saving. It is not so? Did you find the selection menu?

I can’t find anywhere in settings to change where it saves.

Just plugged another of the same USB in the back and it now lets me choose source and where to save my sets. Guess you can’t record to SD card though as no option for that shows.

Streaming music from the usb-drive AND writing your recording to it at the same time is very optimistic but indeed asking a bit too much from that usb-bus.

Indeed 2 separate drives; one for loading music from and one for writing recordings to is the most stable way to go.

In the main- or recording-menu you can perfectly choose where you want to save your recording.

It’ll all be fine :wink:

Do note; your recording will have a low volume audio output… there are tons of threats to be found here about that. Know 1 thing; low audio volume = more headroom = better for end-mastering your mix // full squashed-clipped audio volume can not be restored anymore…

This topic gives some intell on the subject of finalizing your mix

Thanks. I found that yesterday and got it sorted with audacity. Also had to make my file smaller as it came out as a 643mb WAV file.

try Ocen audio

same functions as audacity, slightly slicker interface… but i think bigger files are possible there (not 100% sure tho)

2 Likes

Had this happen again tonight half way through a recording I get the error that the write speed is to slow. I was using one USB as source and another to record on.

What type of usb drive?? What size??

Forget all the nice “burst speed” statistic boasts made by cheaper usb thumb drives. They’re fast for a few minutes each time then need a “breather” (the error)

Find drives which offer fast “sustained data transfer” rates instead.

Also, you’re not trying to include any streaming service tunes in the recording, are you?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Ultra-USB-Flash-Drive/dp/B00DQGBYDC

No streaming services. All my music is on USB only.

I do have two USB external 1TB drives, I will try them shortly and see if I can record on them.

Can’t record on my 1TB drives unless I format them. That isn’t happening so I will buy a new USB.

Any USB you can recommend?

Ok they “may” not be genuine sandisks. Sandisk are probably the biggest copied drives out there.

Take a look here

The sandisk extreme is better than the ultra

I was looking at this Sandisk extreme earlier that has fast read/write speeds. I will buy it later and test it.

https://www.e-shop.cy/sandisk-sdcz810-064g-g46-extreme-go-64gb-usb-32-flash-drive-p-PER.323607

• Read speed: up to 400MB / s.
  • Write speed: up to 240MB / s.

Try this place. Be a little cautious as the one site has tabs/sections for usb thumb drives, but also SSD, spinning hard drives and all sorts of other drives, so make sure you’re looking in the correct section. Remember, for recording, it’s sustained write speeds you’re after good scores on

Fast reading speeds is easy, and cheap… any old plastic usb stick can do that. Likewise, being amazingly fast at writing for a few seconds is easy too. Writing fast for a sustained period of time - that’s a trick

Also remember that not all the usb sticks surveyed may be available to you in your country, but something similar, probably will be.

And as tiger avatar bloke above said… some usb sticks get counterfeited. Especially the well known brands, so buy your sticks from Amazon or similarly well known provider - rather than “cheap n cheerful auctions dot com” lol

E-shop.cy is a shop near me. I just been there an ordered this.

I have to pay ridiculous shipping prices for Cyprus on amazon. I will test this and take it back if I think it is dodgy or just crap and then try Amazon. Gonna take a week to arrive.

Also on the link below with different USB’s how do you know which can sustain write speeds for a period of time?

You look for the drive then google the specs on that drive

Ended up buying this off amazon and tested it today for a few hours and not had any write speed errors at all.

2 Likes