Question about mixing track using loops

I can’t post in Engine DJ Hardware Topics for some reason so I’ll ask here.

Sometimes when I set a 4 beat loop at the beginning of a track ready to be mixed in it quickly loses sync from the current track. (I don’t mean sync button as I never use it, only ever use manual beat match). My tracks are always mixed via key.

Is this normal behavior and anyway to correct or minimize the track losing sync so quick when using loops.?

Where did you want to start this topic? I’ll move it accordingly.

If beatgrid is correct and you’re using quantize, they won’t drift more or less than just playing the track.

I assumed Engine hardware would be most appropriate but the new topic button is greyed out for me.

I use quantize. I will check the beat grids

I think you need to select a subcategory. Which device?

K try it using the sync button and check it. It could be the grids are out (it happens) or its a variabe grid ( bpm changes ) if its a varible grid yoou will need to go.into engine dj and adjust them by putting the downbeat anchors in. If youbr old skool and dont like grids then its a case of manually constently nudging it back.in beat as on vinyl.

The other way would be set hot cue at start. Start track and match it in then hit hot cue to bring it back take the loop out of the equation

1 Like

Prime 2 so standalone controllers subforum.

Not sure how you put the downbeat anchors in but I will look it up.

I just tried with the sync button on/off and a different genre (trance) and had no problems with loops.

K right so grids are ok. Its down to the quantize then or the actaul pitch fader position not being in sync speed

In engine dj left han side of screen click pencil ( middle box) then in there is the down beat marker icon. Had a treatment today so head us fuzzy on where but its in the middle. You will soon find it next to it is the same icon with an x to remove it… when you set a downbeat it shows yellow not red on bar marker

Whilst I am thankful for the help, I have absolutely no idea what I am doing with these beat grids. I tried this video and just tried resetting all beat grids for all the tracks of the genre of music I have the problem with.

Anchors are your friend and should help you get your loops perfected, but there are some cautions. An anchor can be placed anywhere past the last anchor. I.e., Engine DJ will not let you place an anchor before the last one

Generally, you should place your anchor on the downbeat at the start of a measure. When you place an anchor the beat grid is shifted from the track beginning or the last anchor through the rest of the track. You can alter the grid from the last anchor forward by changing the BPM after it (or adding another anchor). The closest beat on the grid will snap to the anchor, so watch that the downbeat (first of measure) snaps there. If not, delete the anchor and change the BPM so the downbeat is close and reset it. Make sure your BPM is set correctly so the grid is matching the beats.

Work from the beginning to end of the track with your anchors and get your loops correct before moving onward. Although you may delete an anchor before the last one, you won’t be able to set another one before the last.

If you work with older tracks, such as classic disco, with variable BPM, it sometimes helps to load the track in Ableton Live, warp it with Complex Pro and export it back out. Warping may even out the BPM and make it easier to grid in Engine DJ. But, check carefully, warping can distort the music. While Ableton Live tries to force the beats to a set BPM (warping), Engine DJ lets you identify the beats with the grid, and doesn’t alter the true BPM.

Fixed my problem by not using Rekordbox bpm detection. Reanalyzed in MIK and imported back in Engine and so far all tracks have no problems.

Great. You’re lucky those old Italian house and 90’s UK hardcore grid correctly. I have such a hard time with most 70’s disco/funk (a lot of older remix service remixes). Rekordbox and Traktor didn’t do any better than Engine DJ with automatic gridding. Ableton Live can help a little, sometimes. In the end, I have to just dig in and mark the downbeats at least in areas for mixing in and out (cue points and loops). I’ve been sweating it out with Engine DJ as it seems best to stay in one ecosystem.

Well one of them is off with its BPM detection by a mile. A lot of my music was around 170BPM in Rekordbox but has gone down to around 150BPM in Engine. Only used Rekordbox for hot cues as MIK doesn’t output Engine hotcues.

Interesting you say that. I was gridding Loadstar, “Feelings” (Orig. Mix) and Engine DJ wanted to set the BPM at 108.75. It’s beatless at first and Engine DJ did get the first bar with a beat right, but the rest were off. I manually counted the BPM and set it to 174, then everything fell into place. Oops, Rekordbox and Traktor got it right from the start,

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.