Prime updates / prime 4 v 2

Guys I’m considering switching from Pioneer (DDJ1000SRT) to Denon. Sick of having a system tethered to my Mac (& the drama of the latter in terms of updates). Best product I can see is the Prime 4, limited only by expense. Prime 2 seems great in all respects (& significantly cheaper with deals), but it makes my Serato ecosystem redundant (& it looks like that won’t change ). Any views from you guys re: Prime 4 vs 2 - is it worth going with the former if I manage to get over my investment into Serato ? And possibly more importantly, **how often to Denon release new products such as this? ** I know there are no definites, but historically would now be a bad time to make a switch ? Anyway, thanks ! Not sure how long I can hold off the urge to splurge!

Hi Dj Crockster,

You say is a little contradictory … You say you no longer have a controller attached to a computer and you mean Serato ??? At the moment the Prime 2 is not compatible with Serato Dj Pro “plug and play”, yes, it is true!

However, the Serato Dj Pro library you created is compatible with Engine Prime! Therefore you can import all your SDJ Pro files into Engine P. and then export it to an internal (Prime 4, Prime 2 SC6000 / M) or external or SD and usb key (Prime 4, Prime 2) ssd , Prime GO, SC5000 / M, SC6000 / M, so you can play your music on the entire Prime range.

https://community.enginedj.com/t/importing-the-serato-dj-pro-library-to-engine-prime-and-exporting-engine-prime-to-denon-dj-prime-4-prime-2-ssd-usb-key/21526

Ha, life is full of contradictions. I’m sick of being solely tethered to a computer / equally have $ & time invested in serato. Prime 4 solves both issues. I guess I’m asking whether I need a) remain attached to serato & b) Denon product cycles & whether now is a good time to buy

Personally since I went through different type of Setup dj from 1995 to 2019, once spent more than one on a P4 (July 2019), I have no regrets (I needed at least 3 channels !!! (j I always have a Mac by my side with all my karaoke video library which is used with Serato Dj and MixEmergency and music just in case, but it is mainly there to control my lighting in DMX HF).

Thanks mate, that’s awesome to hear and reassuring for my plans (albeit upsetting for my bank balance)

I think the Prime 4 is a sound investment (see what I did there?) and isn’t going to get superseded for a while yet. I’ve had mine since June 2020 and it’s barely seen the inside of the flightcase. I’ve used it far more than my other similar (but controller only) units.

1 Like

Prime 4 is a solid bit of kit. So much fun to mix on. Over winter though I have been rocking my Prime Go as its more portable and battery powered. I have my Prime 4 in my man cave shed and its freezing in there right now.

With the Prime 4 you have everything that is available in the Prime series. Instead if you take a Prime 2 or a Prime GO then you will do as many owners of the latter who write in the forum: can you add the XYZ function in the Prime 2 as the Prime 4 has? Or can you add the ability to change ABCs like Prime 4?

Everyone would like to spend little and have a lot, or at least have the same functions as the most expensive object. If you need the features that the Prime 4 has, buy the Prime 4 instead of the Prime 2 in the hope that it may someday have the same functions as the Prime 4.

People, or at least, some people need to stop buying Bronze, thinking that they can get Gold if they shame Denon enough about “I can’t believe this feature was missed” or “basic feature missing” or “it’ll only take 14.5 minutes to write this easy to add thing to tomorrow’s firmware”.

Jwill has said several times now, (in so many words) you buy what buy, anything that gets added isn’t a right, it’s a bonus.

So if you need feature x then buy a model that offers feature X out of the box.

Yes, but I agree with asking or suggesting new functions: they can help us do our job / hobby better, as well as help Denon DJ to sell more products because they would be more complete than the competition.

1 Like

Well, that’s one you can take up with Jason directly perhaps