Prime Series Firmware v1.4.0 Now Available!

" Fixed an issue where certain 320kbps AAC tracks would playback with audio artefacts."

Have they improved the sound quality?

That’s what that means - yes. Artefacts, in audio, are bad things

Played for about a hour and a half, firmware is indeed very nice, symmetric jog wheel is very good!!

1 Like

Unless the update had four or five HUNDRED features then some people were going to jump on the bandwagon of moaning that their favourite request (and the request of all the DJs between their road and Mount Everest) wasn’t featured. The same bandwagon load would call out that denon aren’t listening, or denon don’t care or whatever - all just sulky impatience personified.

Yes I want more accurate bpm detection, both in Engine, and on the players, but I’m really happy that even more free features have been bestowed upon us in this update while denon continue to work on, what they have described as “industry leading BPM detection”. Simply copying some old bpm algorithm that the rest of the industry have put up with for a decade might be easy and quick to have done, but setting a new industry lead for bpm detection, that’s got to take time, you know like, scrap every way the other guys software and hardware have done it so far, start afresh and build an algorithm which isn’t fooled by certain twists of fill ins, bridges, bassy vocals, vocal only starts and that

1 Like

Although I am REALLY REALLY HAPPY with this new update, I understand that most users are not asking for a new, fresh, built from ground and cutting edge bpm detection algorithm, they are just asking for a simple and useful bpm detection algorithm (an old bpm algorithm could work, why not?), AND more importantly, the option to be able to edit incorrect beatgrids on the fly (shrink and expand beagrids). It is a fair and reasonable request.

Because The SC tracklist interface is per layer and per player, so the X1800 mixer knows which fader is closed or open.

The Prime4 tracklist interface is for all layers. You choose after selecting on which deck you want to play/load.

Preview would be easily possible, but not with a faderlock or precheck. To harm you for making mistakes, they need to implement a preview with deck choice before preview audio is heard.

Do you understand my reasoning a bit?

2 Likes

But what if, denon were working on say a 4 decimal place BPM algorithm eg- 128.5041 BPM which interstates its 4 decimal places into the loops, quantize, beat effects, beat grids … and more and more and more.

If denon just dropped in a compromise 2 digit decimal place bpm algorithm from anywhere else in the industry, they’d then have to re-write the handling of loops, Beatgrid, beat effects, quantize etc for the measly two decimal place bpm, then they’d had to re-rewrite the Beatgrid, beat effects, loops and all again, when their 4 decimal place bpm was ready - hypothetically

Simple and useful BPM detection would be the use of the TAP button and then you, as a DJ with a trained ear in finding the fundamental, work out the difference of .1 to .xxx decimals and maybe put it into id3tag bpm field to avoid the calculation in Engine Prime. The moment you want to translate this “finding of fundamental” into a line of code, it doesn’t seem so simple anymore.

1 Like

You guys nailed some very important points with this update, it’s greatly appreciated to see your listening. I have found a couple bugs already and still have some requests that I think are easily implemented for future updates, but you just made my favorite player even better so big thank you for that :pray:

Happy Holidays

1 Like

Exactly how I tried to explain it in the FB group. :+1:

1 Like

Haha okay. Did they understand it?

Not to sure tbh. Also, I have a big bug I found while DJing today with the new firmware. Sharing in the bugs section with video example.

Very nice update :smile: Well done :clap:

I like the preview feature.

The manual loop i/o adjust is nice.

2 firmware updates in the past 2 months, keep it coming.

2 Likes

I have updated to 1.4 and tried Tidal. Everything worked fine but my wifi is slow, making downloading painful That said, The release notes mentioned a wired solution is available. Does anyone know how to do this or can someone at Denon reply. Thanks

Just connect the ethernet on the back to your internet router/switch whatever you have.

Thanks but not quite clear what you’re saying. The Ethernet port on the back of the mixer? (There are 4 for the players and 1 for PC). Also, my router/modem is in another part of my house…

Ah I now know you’re talking about the X1800.

Yes use the PC ethernet port to connect. And yeah you would need a long cable.

Is it possible to stream tracks from one’s music files collection, or just from the Tidal library? Or, could one add music files and make them available through the Tidal library?

Thanks

When using tidal, do I need to have a USB in both decks to save the track information? I had a message saying that as there was no USB stick in one deck and that nothing would be saved. My decks are connected to X1800 with network cables so shouldn’t the tidal data transfer onto the USB stick on the other deck?

Great question!

Currently, internet access is exclusive to streaming streaming services. If you’d like to have access to personal cloud based storage applications, be sure to vote for it here.

It looks like Soundiiz offers a conversion tool.

1 Like