Prime 4 Over The Air (OTA) update to 2.1.2 went wrong --> black screen

I updated my Prime 4 using the onboard WiFi. After the update cycle the startup screen showed 2.1.2 so so far so good. However, the menu still showed “an update to 2.1.2 is available” and that already felt weird. I rebooted several times but the result stayed the same.

I started to play some tracks and after a while the screen and all the control lights flickered a few times. Couple of minutes later the controller completely shut off, as if the power cable was removed.

From that moment on I was no longer able to fully start up my Prime 4. It does power up, the controller lights do a few “boot cycles” but the screen remains black. After the “boot cycle lights” the controller ends with the blue/white led’s on the jogdials and a few lights on. Screen is black and nothing works.

Searching the forum I found several issues regarding previous updates. I learned about a bootable USB disk which I created with the USB sofware updater on the Engine DJ website. To force the Prime 4 into bootloader mode you need to push the eject button during the start up which I tried several times but no result. Tried both USB ports. The USB is FAT32 formatted and has the IMG 2.1.2 on it.

My Prime 4 has a 256GB SSD on board and I also saw a few posts regarding issues caused by the SSD. So I unplugged my SSD, rebooted the Prime 4 but still the same result.

I also found out that if I press and the power button a few seconds after “booting” the display shows Engine DJ 2.1.2 for a few seconds. So I’m glad the display is still working, it all feels as if the update went horribly wrong.

I also searched the forum for a factory reset button combination but could not find it.

As you can see I tried everything I could find here and logically could think of. So now I’m hoping that you guys can help me out before I actually have to bring my Prime 4 back to the dealer or to Denon.

Thanks in advance!

Hey @djcvr

Sorry you’re running into some issues. I would suggest talking this over with a technical support rep. You can reach them by creating a ticket via www.enginedj.com/support

1 Like

in my opinion the update cycle was not finished! some as already discussed in a post restart as soon as they see the wording 2.1.2, but you have to wait again before restarting, you must not be in a hurry you must be sure that the process is finished because the restart does it by itself! I know that the process is misleading since it buys the word 2.1.2 in the middle of the update! but I have learned that we must not be in a hurry or else damage is done!

Thanks!

Unfortunately I cannot get back into the update process. Screen is black after startup and power+eject doesn’t bring me in the update menu, neither via the USB/SD ports or via a connected laptop.

Hi Chris,

Saw your direct message in my account, and look at your problem to solve it. But this is a real hard problem you have there, because without gettin back into the bootloader, there is much no help to force this device into working.

Only thing you can just test is:

Completely remove your prime for about half an hour from power.

Then plug in again, hold eject (don´t let loose eject before you see anything on your screen) and turn on. you have to hold eject as long you see something on the screen. (Okay you can stop this - if it takes longer than 30 seconds). But in this amount of time it should boot into bootloader mode.

But there your screen keeps black, there is a real hard problem on your device, which only a service team can fix. So if this last trick did not help, please call service technican for further details.

Cheers Dark,

Many thanks @DJDark, much appreciated!

I followed your advice and held the eject button for almost a minute but the screen stays black. When I let it go and push power+eject at the same time the bootloader (Engine DJ plus chip with arrow) appears for a few seconds on the screen but there’s nothing I can do in that short time. Touching the screen or inserting/ejecting a USB or SD, it makes no effect at all.

I will contact Denon DJ for further support.

Many thanks for your efforts!

1 Like

Then there it seems, how ever the bootloader is broken. As this can happen to other users too, we real need an emergency backup in system, which don´t have to be affected by this. hope denon can fix this for you, soon.

1 Like

Hello

Can you show your issue with a video ?

About hardware, did you try to perform a factory reset ? Factory reset? - Engine DJ Hardware / Standalone Controllers - Engine DJ Community

Hope this can help you

I can’t do a factory reset because that requires access to the menu. As my screen is black I have no access…

Meanwhile 2 other users have issues due to updating over Wifi!

Hey @djcvr If you’re still having issues with your screen, I’d be happy to help connect you with technical support. Feel free to DM me your email and phone number and we’ll get you sorted.

1 Like

Hola, talvez lograron solucionar el problema de pantalla negra en prime 4, me sucede lo mismo mi equipo prende y funciona el touch pero no da imagen