Pioneer DJM-A9 vs. 1850 - what's lost when switching mixers

Yess

Looks like a great mixer

and the filter is awesome

1 Like

Fantastic addition and an original idea too, love it.

1 Like

i saw the mojaxx vid pop up and immediately hit the mastersounds site. With shipping to the US, just under $2,900. Might have to sell a synth or two and swoop this one. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Its the real deal imo, will sound absolutely fantastic.

Oh wow, that looks sick!

1 Like

That’s cool that they included an Innofader in this updated 4V. My Condesa ‘Lucia-X’ has an analog ‘ProXFade’ crossfader, and I think having smooth rotary faders for the channels, but retaining the ability to cut is the best of both worlds!!!

2 Likes

This mk2 isn’t the leap of extra features I was hoping for, but I can certainly see the improvements and appeal.

Just curious, what features were you hoping for?

More filter and iso options per channel. I’m also not a fan of master isolators but am agnostic on crossfaders. If the master iso is always in the signal path and not defeat-able, then it’s odd to bother putting boost/trough normal EQs on the channels. I think master isos are largely a waste of space when you have channel isos, and a channel iso can do the exact same function as normal EQs do… and then some. There’s no benefit to low group delay EQs if you’re otherwise planning a master iso and no bypass of it. Hell, you don’t technically even need gain-trim knobs at the top of each channel, unless that’s a strict passive trim or directly related to the tube buffer stages, because channel isos are literally trim-gains for each band passing through their respective filters.

Could you not pair the normal Radius with an FX unit like I do? the FX unit offers HPF/LPF through the master insert, then doubles up for controlling the depth of the effect on the aux insert.

I guess you could if you want to assign one FX unit to a channel at a time to do what a mixer like this could easily achieve for each individual channel, though it wouldn’t be as flexible as what I’m talking about.

The way I get around FX is with a combo of the MS effects unit and Serato built in, ive found it offers a massive range flexibility. Obviously thats not for everyone.

The more extensive filters and use of isolators on each channel would allow them to work to not only shape the balance of the sound at will, but also as effects. The weird auto resonance thing from the Model 1 is just kinda goofy, in my opinion. Interesting solution to a problem of limited number of knobs or space, but sometimes you want to sculpt the sound, and sometimes you want to use it as an effect. I’d be even fine with having a single shared resonance knob like on the MP2015, though clearly individual ones would be better.

Fair do’s, I guess the Radius range isnt what you’re after then, something like the V10 or Xone mixers maybe?

I think the stuff that gets closest other than that is the MP2015 and DB4, and while I have both, I rarely use the master iso on the former, and could use even more filters and band adjustments. The DB4 has some, too, but not all, and is a black hole of features, settings, usability quirks like its split cuing being hidden in a menu. I am motivated to pull out the DB4, though, just to start using that looper & mini sampler thing per channel with the new sample triggers on the players. Model 1 would also do some of this, but I don’t like faders, and it wouldn’t do all. I think that enormous mixer that someone hand built way back would probably do most of it, but I can’t even find a pic of it. Don’t even remember if it was rotary. Man, search engines are 99% advertisements, pics from storefronts now, and sponsored discussion forum results. If search didn’t ■■■■ now, “wood dj mixer filters largest handmade” would produce a pic of that monster.

Edit: Shout out to Laurin Joel Schafhausen of Event-Corp, Germany, for knowing the name of that big mixer: Traxx-1 mixer at Block Tel Aviv.

Still not quite what I’m talking about, but does some of it.

2 Likes