Payed for upgrade firmwares softwares

It isn’t? I wonder why VirtualDJ, Serato, Traktor and Rekordbox have it then? Maybe they’re not for “normal DJs”. :slight_smile:

1 Like

yeees Ableton link would be awesome, Hope it’ll ever arrive in prime. For such an premium add-on Feature, I would pay an additional one time charge to get it, just like 9.99 USD for Ableton link activation key. Or much better, let the User decide how much to pay as donation (set minimum to 1 USD).

paid or unpaid, as an end user, you have no control over the business which in turn could mean the same development team and the same output at the same frequency. You could end up getting the same updates but are volunteering to pay for them.

This whole thread is so stupid.

As for Serato, it’s software only and with that in mind, you buy your own hardware. In this environment, you are paying top dollar for hardware which is NOT a controller and therefore comes with software (as it should) and what is being discussed here is practically making the hardware functionality paid on top of the purchase price.

SMH every time I see traction on this thread.

I guess what I am struggling to understand is how this bright idea solves anything. Was this idea brought forth as a solution for introducing more updates and more frequently? If so, whoever said that this was the solution? LOL If not, then what purpose does it serve? I just don’t get it.

2 Likes

I agree with you… What purpose does this thread serve? Well, aaa, someone just has too much money and is shouting about it, that wants to share it with some specific programming people…

Or some are desperate.

I do believe we are heading towards in app purchases from hardware cause we already half way there.

Did You not heard about the statement from Jwill on one of the live streams last year - Engine Prime will never go in to paid/subscription model.

3 Likes

I took that as a swipe at Rekordbox as it was around the time RB6 launched. There was a lot off negativity around that subscription model.

If there was an app store in the OS with some plugins to download for a few quid, it would be kinda cool. If an SDK was launched where someone could create some processing or an EQ plugin etc, that would give developers some extra revenue and ideas could be implemented that Denon DJ have no intention of making. Things like VSTs, Now Playing, Live radio broadcast video over ethernet/NDI, duplicate file finders, taggers etc.

I buy £2.00 apps on my phone for things that make my life easier. I’d be happy to spend a few pounds on a function that I find useful if Denon DJ have no want to need to add it. You just have to look at how Unbox is ‘almost’ working on the Denon DJ ecosystem. I’ll drop the dev a donation when I get it working as he really deserves it. If that app cost £5.00 as an add-on and then I’d be happy.

I’m happy with subscriptions though.

That’s not what I’m saying.

An example is, that in order to access your own personal collection remotely what option is available for it?

Denon has a lot to offer if people subscribe to certain subscription services. Why not have the ability to subscribe from the unit also?

Thread makes no sense to me.

OP is just stirring

2 Likes

To be honest Denon charging for updates would go against their established business model, Denon had stated in an interview they’re not going down the subscription route, if Denon were to U turn it would likely cost them more in lost revenue then it would gain from subscriptions. Denon is attempting to grow in market share not alienate new customers or give existing customers cause to consider changing to another manufacturer.

Denon’s not charging for updates.

The op pitched that denon could charge for features that would appease the needs of the op basically.

Lololol, I get your point, but how many DJs are actually actively using it?

As a percertage, probably quite low right now, but as the song says “The Only Way Is Up”. :slight_smile:

According to Ableton’s page there are currently 207 products that use Link, which is pretty substantial. Even free apps from small one-man suppliers. DJ software supports it, DAWs support it, apps for phones and tablets support it. Hardware’s a bit thin on the ground at the moment, but manufacturers can’t retrofit it if the hardware isn’t capable.

I do, and I know at least 40 djs personally that also do use ableton link

1 Like

That’s great! Why hasn’t this gotten more traction with Denon then?

Thing is, the hardware , at least in Denon’s case, is certainly capable, it uses all the same processor that the Akai Force does as far as I can tell.

Would be nice to know, which CPU drives every Unit, like a comparsion sheet. Are the CPU’s build in the 5000s the same as in the 6000s?

if this is true, these units could be much more compatible to eachother and only the Software prevents it.

Maybe this subject can answer your question

@NoiseRiser of course interesting thread but what makes me think of it: if Denon uses the RK3288 instead of the RK3399 how is USB3 handled, cause it looks like that the RK3288 only supports USB2?

Maybe USB553x?