P4 Standalone Current Song Txt Output?

Hi,

Is there a way to pull the current track/s being played on the Prime 4, via WIFI or Ethernet? I mainly mix on the DAB/FM Radio and would love to be able to get the current track info while live in the mix.

Maybe FTP backend login or MIDI, I can script the rest if it is possible to get access while in standalone mode.

Many thanks and any advice. Mike

There is a few people working on it as there is apps that do it already for other brands on GitHub (search for “Unbox”). They are going to add their findings to that app very soon as it’s in testing. This writes the track to a text file or browser source so if your software can read from a text file, it will work.

It is unofficial but It’s in testing now. Hopefully we will have this one app to use with all DJ software.

Here is a sample:

EDIT: Here is Unbox GitHub - erikrichardlarson/unbox: Log and display your rekordbox / Serato / Traktor / VirtualDJ / DJUCED / Mixxx tracks as they're played

Someone is asking for something similar in the feedback/issues section Call external API when Track changes · Issue #13 · erikrichardlarson/unbox · GitHub

Maybe help with the project or customise that code? Hope it works.

@PartyAnthems There is now a Denon mode on unbox so the artist / track are available in json and txt format and you should be able to read off those files to post data out to any other service. What do you use to broadcast?

Hi, Thanks for all the info, what I would prefer to use in standalone mode and not use any third party software like Serato, etc, I use Audio Hijack v3 on Mac if there was a way to hook into the P4 via FTP or other connection Web, SMB, etc and grab the file directly, I could easily bash script direct to the Icecast metadata.

The stations could then pick up the track names from that etc or at worse, I could send a text file back to my website.

Thanks for any advice.

Mike

@PartyAnthems There should be a way of picking up the data locally on amy machine on the network, if that helps you?

If not, @erikrichardlarson could look at how it can be done and best advise.

@PartyAnthems Oh I actually helped someone with this on shoutcast, I think icecast allows you to just just make a post request to something like: http://username:password@icecast:8000/admin/metadata?mount=/mymount&mode=updinfo&song=some_song_details

So you could use a bash script pass in the song data from the txt file as it updates and that would work?

Hi,

Thanks for the info, scripting the Icecast metadata is the easy part, what I’m not sure is how do I grab the text file from the Prime 4 directly, it’s on my local network LAN and WIFI if need by, aka does it have some sort of share point or web engine to access i.e. 192.68.x.x:8080?

Kind regard, Mike

Ah gotcha, yeah you can get the txt file at something like your_ip:8080/rekordbox_stream.txt

I think you’re missing the point, what would be the URL link to Prime 4 if it has one? As I’m not using rekordbox etc, but using the standalone Prime OS aka no laptop or desktop machine. I can’t find any info from Google etc that the Prime 4 has any Web access to the text file or logs.

Hope that makes sense.

Many thanks. Mike

Gotcha yeah there is no direct link, you have to find something that implements the StagelinQ protocol and connect that way, unbox does that for you so you just need to run unbox on a machine on the same network and you’ll have access to the your_ip:8080/rekordbox_stream.txt (ignore the rekordbox name in the file, that’s just a legacy name)

Your laptop or desktop doesn’t need to be connected to your Prime 4, the computer running unbox will just discover your Prime 4 on the network and update the txt file as needed. So you would be able to reference that txt path from your bash script. Does that make sense / work for you?

Oh, I get you now - Thanks, though I get the following error

Uncaught Exception: Error: EROFS: read-only file system, open ‘/private/var/folders/11/mb7w9pjn0n58llqhrq7j302r0000gn/T/AppTranslocation/DBC9D585-325F-4911-A3FE-E5B6E772E043/d/unbox.app/Contents/Resources/app/src/config.json’ at Object.openSync (fs.js:440:3) at Object.func [as openSync] (electron/js2c/asar.js:140:31) at Object.writeFileSync (fs.js:1265:35) at IpcMainImpl. (/private/var/folders/11/mb7w9pjn0n58llqhrq7j302r0000gn/T/AppTranslocation/DBC9D585-325F-4911-A3FE-E5B6E772E043/d/unbox.app/Contents/Resources/app/src/index.js:271:10) at IpcMainImpl.emit (events.js:223:5) at WebContents. (electron/js2c/browser_init.js:173:8161) at WebContents.emit (events.js:223:5)

Does this work over WiFi? Units connected to the same network via WiFi

Eg 6000m and X1800 mixer combo

Okay, @erikrichardlarson after reading your docs it running but takes ages to read from the P4, sometimes it just loops and go-live stays black and doesn’t turn green. Switched off Firewall etc and still no joy.

Any help would be great many thanks. Mike

A lot of other users have the similar issue (myself included) and there is a debug script coming soon. It maybe worth dropping in there and checking in with other forum members who are also trying to debug and get the ‘Denon’ mode up and running. They are getting closer but there is still a few quirks.

@Reese are these close enough to merge?

Merge messes the time stamps up a bit.

Maybe it’s better to close this and a “continued here” link?

1 Like

Yeahh we’re still working through some connection issues, but getting closer to having a working version on Mac and Windows. I just posted the latest debug scripts in the other thread. Can you test one of the debug scripts over there and let us know if that works? If it doesn’t feel free to post your console output. Thanks!

Cool, can you send me the link, happy to test it for you?

1 Like

Yeah here you go: Stagelinq protocol API - #112 by erikrichardlarson