My prime 4 crashes in the middle of a performance with engine 3.1.0

Hi everyone, I’ve been using engine 3.1.0 for a few weeks now and haven’t had any problems. I’m a professional dj and in the middle of a session last Saturday I first noticed that the touch screen had some delay, very slight. After that the disc faceplate got stuck and even if I changed the song it was still there. And a while later the view button stopped working completely. I don’t understand how they can give these failures, it almost stopped my heart. Not to mention that since version 2.4 the link with resolume 6 no longer works. A product that is made according to denon to compete at a professional level can’t have these failures. Also since update 3 the screen is jumping, I don’t know if it happens to you too, very small jumps.

Probably a software bug, but just in case, clean all metal surfaces + touch buttons + touch screens, anything that could have residue grease left from fingers.

1 Like

Hi, 3.1.1 is now available. It says in the release notes there are various enhancements and fixes, upgrade the Firmware then do some testing at home to see if it has resolved it.

It wasn’t because of dirt, I have a very clean device, when I installed the new version of the software the problem disappeared but now I’m going to be scared forever. You guys have small jumps on the screen? it doesn’t affect the sound but it does visually.

1 Like

It’s worth doing extensive testing at home with any new firmware to ensure it’s rock solid. There is always an inherent risk with running the latest OS version on any device. If you dont need all the latest features then the most rock solid way of operating is to choose and older version you know is 100% stable.

2 Likes

It’s worth doing extensive testing at home with any new firmware to ensure it’s rock solid. There is always an inherent risk with running the latest OS version on any device. If you dont need all the latest features then the most rock solid way of operating is to choose and older version you know is 100% stable.

I had been using this firmware for several sessions. More than 30 hours of use. I’m not crazy enough to upgrade and go to work.

STU doesn’t hang anything and doesn’t cut, tested until it hurts … I just still don’t understand why such an update of the effects if they can’t be set from the CUE level in the headphones?

1 Like

That’s fair enough if you have done. I haven’t had any issues with my Prime 2 yet but there are people reporting problems. I think 3.1.1 has resolved quite a few so I guess just try it out.

Since I had to get mine repaired for a broken capacitive touch sensor on the platter, I bridge my connection with a small sub mixer now so I can play some music from a phone etc if I have to reboot. It’s not foolproof but it does give some protection during a gig. I guess we live with the problem of standalone devices being all or nothing don’t we.

1 Like

Yes, I do the same, I have a small mixer with an ipad connected, because I once had an error with Tidal, the controller got stuck and didn’t load any song from my hard drive or usb and I had to restart it in the middle of the session.

I think that in a high-end all in one you should be sure that it won’t fail at the most important moment.

Im guessing many say that about the CDJ Nexus range too, and yet they fail all the time. It’s the risks of this complex gear isn’t it. Separates are obviously easier to manage as you can swap out without impacting the night. I agree in a perfect world they would be stable, but the more features we as consumers demand, the more complex these devices get.

2 Likes

Regarding the issue of the screen jumping, does it also happen to you? I attach the video of a sample, it happens every 20 or 30 seconds. As I say, it doesn’t affect the sound.

Mine definitely doesn’t do that. Have you tried 3.1.1 to see if it’s solved? You may need to do it over USB/SD rather than wifi as I think it said 3.1.0 was the latest wifi version for me.

I also have issues with my prime 4 since the 3.1 update and 3.1.1 also. Track is lagging, always on desk2, sudden stop also…never ever had any problem with my device before…it’s very very irritating to say the least. I keep my stuff literally so clean, it’s like brand new so its not dirt or wtv.

I didnt know we could go back to an older version tho ?! I’d gladly go back to the latest one before the 3.1 anyone knows how to do that ?

It’s been years that glitches and jumps have been reported. But firmware after firmware, nothing is done. Seems that the chipset is definitively too weak. All those jumps are stressing when it happens while a public gig. Never had a night with fluid display

2 Likes

what you see is version 3.1.1. It started jumping with version 3.0.0 and I went back from usb to 2.4 and it hasn’t stopped jumping. I bought the Prime 4 at the end of January this year. I have not deteriorated the unit at all. It is as good as new.

download the file from Desktop and OS Downloads + Manuals | Engine DJ to usb and install it.

But it didn’t work for me again. I went back to 2.4 and it kept jumping.

It looks like you have warranty on the unit then. perhaps worth speaking to your retailer to get it sent for inspection and repair, thats definitely not normal behaviour. It would be good if some other Prime 4 users could chime in and offer their experience to see if its happened elsewhere.

1 Like

The problem is that I work with the Prime 4 every week and I can’t do without it. I’m going to make a thread just on this subject in case it happens to more people.

Yeah, one of my concern about the rather weak (and old) RK3288 chipset - even more so, for each additional added feature. I noticed serious issues when using the track skip << / >> buttons on my Live 4, pressing them repeatedly can cause the unit to temporarily freeze, same when skipping to long mix-tracks for >30min. The audio keeps on playing, but all LEDs (including the VU meters) stop for a moment, same for my connected DMX setup as I just learned.

That being said, I had no complete freeze or enforced power cycle yet, even during long 6hr sets - good! Still, I would have preferred more focus on stability, rather than fancy and highly demanding stuff like Stems.

And yes, a compact and nifty backup mixer is highly recommended (in general as DJ).

1 Like

I can sympathise with you there, ive bought a cheap backup setup for work in case my Prime 2 is down, its not perfect but it will get me through a gig no problems. I had to use it over Christmas 2022 whilst mine was being repaired.

2 Likes