Line input vs Phono input levels

My mixer is a Mixars Quattro and my friend’s is an Allen & Heath Xone PX5.

Well, now that you mention it, I seem to remember that in 2 of the turntables it has Stanton DS4 cartridges and needles and in the third turntable ORTOFON CONCORDE DJ MKII.

In this third deck (which we used less, due to the separation), it is possible that the output levels were not so different, that is, the output level of the Stanton is much higher than the Denon and the Ortofon adjust somewhat more .

Ok, forget about the turntables - on your Mixars Quattro, when the players are plugged into the line inputs and source input switches are set to LN on the channel, can you increase the trim knobs (doesn’t matter how much, even if its up on max, 4-5pm position) so the signal on the channel meters reaches the first yellow LED?

It literally the only thing that matters.

If the answer is yes then your problem is not with the players.

There is indeed a problem with the output level of the sc devices. It’s way too low, and I use an A&HXone 96.

I’ve just complained to Denon after buying two new SC6000M’s

The output needs boosting by around +3dB, alternatively process your audio files through Platinum Notes, as the other alternative, although there are arguments that this takes away the dynamics of a music file. it should be fairly simple in software to introduce a +3db gain switch for those that need it.

Miss D

Horrible idea. 3dB discrepancy isn’t even half-perceived volume but rather just half power. That’s barely anything. 1dB is the minimum perceptible difference in levels the average person can detect, so you’re talking just a little above that. Please stop asking InMusic to boost the in-DSP volume of Prime. They were previously running up against a limiter before on some tracks when doing pitching & key change and now, thankfully, they’re apparently not.

Another horrible idea, though PN has a pretty neat little expander mode. Their ‘true’ key correction is also not the worst idea… assuming people are resaving losslessly.

If you’re so against touching your trim-gain knobs, I suggest you sell your Xone 96 and get a controller for use with DJ software that has auto gain on the internal mixer.

2 Likes

I suspect somebody with little to no understanding of gain staging. Maybe they just want everything to play at the same volume on the input without them having to do anything? I’ve noticed over the past few years that there’s a generation or two that have no understanding of signal flow and just expect everything to be automated for them and when it’s not and you actually have to know something beyond pushing buttons they call “foul” or “it’s a bug”. In my day, these people were the ones overdriving the input and putting everything in the red when I had to take over for my set.

3 Likes

I Really like my idea best, despite numerous attempts by others to demean me and the original poster - by the way I get you, original poster.

To the demeaners you are wasting your time on this girl, you’re better off trying to get pigs to fly :slightly_smiling_face:

DENON TURN UP THE GAIN !!! {with a software switch so those who like it the way it is can keep it that way.) so people like me can TURN IT UP^

Have a nice day :wink:

Miss D

Is there any reason or logic behind this idea? Because as I read, it is completely out of the logical audio processing terms… Looks like You don’t care about audio quality or just trolling people here…

Why? So that can be done without having to touch a knob? DJ software does auto gain in the internal mixer section, NOT THE PLAYER SECTION. Your outboard mixer has trim-gain knobs for a reason. Use them. The Prime players are doing speed change, sophisticated key change, and (god help us) way too much sample rate conversion right now that we currently have no control over. They need the headroom. If you think we’re in error, please make a video demonstrating what you’re experiencing. Or maybe your players are defective or your mixer or you’re doing something we can help you with.

Edit: I just watched a bunch of recent uploads on YouTube of Prime players (presumably with the later firmwares) and analog mixers, and about a dozen with Xones, and I didn’t see any of them with their trim-gain knobs over 3 o’clock. I actually expected to see that occasionally, and I didn’t see it a single time. They all appeared to be hitting the nominal point on the meters or above. Older players with very simple key change appeared to have slightly lower average trim-gain knob states on similar mixers. I don’t feel like pulling out my analog mixers and other players to confirm this firsthand, so I’m assuming unless you post a video that there’s nothing actually wrong.

1 Like

Done that… now teaching a camel

Even taught my cat to turn a knob up. And he can also start and stop tracks. Is it REALLY that much effort to reach up 9 inches and turn a knob that you need a switch. Feel free to come round and play on proper old skool gear and then you may think that only having one knob instead of a rack if 5 amps and playing a combo of vinyl album and vinyl singles with varying input levels is a bit of a dream. Maybe you want auto choose. Auto mix. And auto pack away buttons too.???

If you dont like the gear WHY DID YOU BUY IT.

If you really want a piece of cr4p i will gladly send you FOC a pioneer djm400… now that is a piece of sh1t to moan about

1 Like

Yo nailed it :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Have no fear - you can touch the gain/trim knob. It’s not plutonium-made, your fingers won’t dissolve. You can pre listen a track and turn it left or right until your channel gain leds it 0-3db. By doing it you may learn one of the most basic dj skills :+1:

3 Likes

Me thinks bedroom jock that wants everything automated rather than work at basic skills… There is a shortcut to everything but there is no shortcut to experience. You cant use power tools until you can do the job with hand tools… if power tool breaks at least you can carry on

I don’t know about the SCs, but my prime go actually has quite a high output level. I set the input level on my monitors to -4db to bring it down a bit.

Considering I’m female and the majority on here are male then the word trolling can have several meanings - can’t it?

It seems to me that anyone who has an issue they wish to discuss results in so called “experts” and knob twiddlers spending a lot of time demeaning, simply because they disagree.

For the sake of clarity I’ve been playing with audio and video before most of you were born :slight_smile:

<Miss D

2 Likes

Oh here we go… because you have been given SIMPLE day one week one solutions and been told that a "button " to up gain is a waste of resources we are all trolls…

seriously… and yes ive been dj’ing over 30 years try nearer 40 years… Because people disagree with you it doesnt matter if you are male female or from mars makes no odds… they disagree that doesnt make them a troll. Or are you one of these peoplethat cant handle someone disagreeing with you without slandering them… You are talking to experienced professional djs that do this for a living… not entertainment at home

Congratulations for being female and a DJ. You get the grand prize of scoring gigs preferentially based on your sex before a boring dude with similar qualifications because you’re a minority & novelty in the scene. That feel better?

I attacked your ideas, not you. I didn’t know your real name, your background, daily life, or your sex. If you read my responses carefully, you’ll see that I addressed them very specifically rather than just in general ways to be a contrarian or through ad hominem personal attacks. If you think I’m wrong, please post a video of what you’re experiencing so we may better assess your situation. Otherwise, we’re going to justifiably assume the troll in these threads where you suddenly show up and made claims without backing them is actually you, since you did show up in multiple threads making the same claims, not actually heed any recommendations, and presented no evidence.

By the way, I didn’t make any assumptions about your age, either. I suggest you not start doing the same about others.

1 Like

40 years DJing experience here, so I can probably match you playing with audio & video. (Although I strongly believe you’re only as good as your last gig)

The mixer is working as designed. If the signal coming out of your player isn’t loud enough, turn up the gain control. That’s what it’s there for. :slight_smile:

As for the gender thing… totally irrelavent to this question.

1 Like

Congratulations to you too…for being male (are you sure about that) and privileged, as well as smart with words cunningly deployed with sacrascm… Miss _D

The only sarcastic part was the “Feel better?”. I meant every word of the rest.

1 Like