import big iTunes library makes problems with 2.0.0

After I successfully update my Prime 2 and Prime GO to 2.0.0 via Wifi yesterday, I wanted to start fresh with Engine DJ Desktop 2.0.0. Actually I still do my playlist management in iTunes, so i normally don’t have the pain of starting with new database :slightly_smiling_face: However, yesterday I had to find out on my laptop that it was not reading my (huge) iTunes library (approx. 45K titles). It gets stuck forever when importing the playlists. Then this morning I tried with more CPU power on my desktop. At least some / the first playlists are read in here, but I only saw them after restarting the software … Consider going back to Engine Prime 1.6.1. Then I have to downgrade the player to 1.6.2 again. …

Does anyone of you have problems importing big iTunes libary in 2.0.0, too?

after the next few tries yesterday i changed back to Engine Prime 1.6.1 and everything with my iTunes library import was fine again… I will wait for Engine DJ Desktop 2.0.1 or newer and then i will take the next try…

For me indeed the Itunes refresh/update is not working anymore in Engine DJ 2.0. Only see a couple of playlists and then the updating stops. Worked fine in the 1.6.1 version. I am on Windows 10. Think I might go back using Rekordbox and converting/importing that database on the Prime 4.

I’m also having problems with iTunes import.

1. Press ‘Update’ in the iTunes section of the left panel.
  2. Observe the progress bar reporting some processing.
  3. Job finishes but no playlists are listed.

So, i can’t even get as far as trying to import the tracks into my library.

Edit 10-10-2021 Solved the import issue. I use a music app called Musicbee to manage my music collection; it can output an iTunes XML file which Engine can read BUT it fails (no playlists retrieved) if I have organised my playlists in a folder structure within Musicbee. You need a flat list of playlists for the import to succeed.

Same over here too: iTunes playlist are giving problems on my Win10 system after update to 2.0.0. As I’m using the same Playlist over & over, which are updated via iTunes (so contents of a playlist is changing while the name remains, i.e. a Playlist “2021”), I always have to delete the old instance in Engine and re-import the same playlist again. Before those actions worked (have to admit before “updating iTunes” also took a lot of time, but it worked). I was hoping with the new release a new feature “iTunes sync” would be deployed as the re-import is really a pain in the *ss.

Also updated to 2.0.1, but still it can’t re-import new iTunes playlist. Luckily I still got my edited Collection (beatgrid, hotkeys & loops), but I don’t have Playlist (as they are coming from iTunes & import is not working anymore). I assume it’s a high prio problem, so I’m hoping that release 2.0.2 will come soon solving this issue.

I’m not planning going back to v1.x as I really do like the new layout on my SC6000’s after updating them to 2.x :slight_smile:

I’ve been playing further with iTunes/Playlists after my update to v2.0.1. I’m able to see my iTunes playlist after waiting 15min to load my iTunes Collection (about 10K songs). In my structure, I have a tree:

Yesterday I selected a playlist from “-PREPARED SONGS IN ENGINE”, which could be added to my collection. But as my other wanted playlist are coming from the same root (being “-MY DJ STUFF”), I couldn’t add them. Today I’ve deleted the imported Playlist from yesterday and then I’m able another Playlist Folder called “-MATCHES”, containing multiple playlists:

But after importing now that playlist, it’s not possible to import other playlist under the same root “-MY DJ STUFF”.

So it seems that once you selected something in a folder structure, that you can’t import other items under that same structure.

In short: it’s everyhing or only 1 folder/playlist in a tree structure. As I’m using multiple Folder/Playlist from the same tree structure, that’s now not possible to import. Perhaps splitting your folders/playlist in iTunes is a temporary solution? Need to check that…

OK, it’s indeed the structure that’s giving problems :slight_smile: I’ve moved the Playlist folder onto iTunes root (drag&drop)

Now it’s possible to import different Folders into my Engine Collection:

And for other folders that aren’t into the Engine Collection, I can import them if wanted:

BTW: my collection isn’t that big but it’s not small neither. At home I’m using Sonos connected to my hifi. That has a bug/limitation of number of files in playlist: if you all your playlists are too big for the system limit, then it’s doesn’t show the playlist. The workaround is playing with your playlist: adding + in front gives prio to this playlist adding - in front excludes a playlist from being loaded by Sonos

Perhaps this is a reason why people with big/huge library/playlist don’t see the desired playlists? A certain limit…

1 Like

@d-vit I merged your posts, otherwise it looks like you’re talking to yourself :wink: . Use EDIT if you can/will to alter a made post.

1 Like

That’s a thorough troubleshooting

It’s a know fact that pre-existing crates/playlist can’t be updated without deleting first

There is a feature request for it , drop a like for it.

https://community.enginedj.com/t/update-existing-crate-and-playlist/14430?u=mufasa

But I’m surprised that it’s affecting PARENT folders as well.

I will test on Serato import

I was already happy that somebody read it :relaxed:

1 Like

yeah, I saw your thread already in the past :wink: Still hoping to have a sync option with iTunes soon…

1 Like

I can confirm its affecting PLAYLIST FOLDERS as well.