How do the pros mix with CDJs

This. Each to their own. Some DJs have the headphones on with tracks in different ears (split cue), I do the “traditional” method of the track that is being mixed in playing in 1 ear (my left, as my right has blown the bass out so I need serious volume to hear anything in that one!!).

I tend to only change over when the track is fully in and the old one is out, as you still need to listen in for subtle adjustments. When I was a kid and wanted to mix when my parents were asleep, I learnt to mix solely in the headphones, which is also helpful when the monitors in clubs is ■■■■, or the echo is bouncing around really unhelpfully!

As @PKtheDJ has said, whatever works for you will be respected, no one judges you (don’t wear Beats headphones though, or then we would judge you :wink:)

2 Likes

Thanks. I’ll try your method to see if it helps, but I guess just gotta keep experimenting.

There’s a really good documentary on how to mix with diverse cues, especially visual and toes, I totally based my style on his… DJ Frankie Wilde. It's all Gone Pete Tong (2004) - Official Trailer - YouTube