Firmware update thoughts

Totally agree with this! Surely the basic necessity is proper beatgriddung and bpm analysis (in the EP software). Also think that it’s a real missed opportunity to simply alow us to rate tracks on the fly via the star rating info already available. At least we can create an in the fly folder though.

It’s faster to cue than wind if I’m halfway into my track. I don’t use jogs to drop in (I don’t use jogs at all if I’m honest other than to stop a track that is already playing; edit - and for scratching!!!). If my cue reset to were I’d used the jog to stop the track so I can finger scroll back to another point in the track every time, I’d never know where my initial cue point would be.

Why don’t you just take your hand off the platter before hitting the cue if you want to jump back to the cue? If you’re setting the cue, it makes sense you’d be scratching around trying to find the spot you want, in which case you have your hand on it and have stopped the music when you hit cue.

Sorry, not really understand ypur point. Anyway, I need it to PLACE the CUE in that point which is hold by playing by the hand on the jog wheel… If this make sense for you… I use this method a lot, It is just like using a Tech1200 or a turntable anyway. While the platter is moving you cue the right poit on the beat, back and forward… I don’t want to stop the turntable at this point. I just keep it running and wait to drop in!

That’s what I’m talking about. I’m trying to figure out why Yeltsin needs it to stay the weird Denon way they’ve been using all these years. I mean, they finally saw the light and at least made In set the cue, or at least as an option, and we do have the not-quite-intuitive method of shift+cue. Not a fan of shift buttons, personally, but whatever. I mostly just use the hot cues on the Primes, anyway.

Not sure ■■■ it has to do with you why I do what I do, but if the cue is set every time I stop the track with the jog, then the cue isn’t where I originally set it, is it? I don’t want the cue to be where I lift my hand off the jog, I want it to be at the beginning of track, or 64 beats in, or at the first drop or wherever the f*** I want it to be. Simple enough for you?

Read the post I replied to properly before picking up and being arsey with my post.

It’s important to figure out what you are trying to do and why you are trying to do it in order to find out if indeed a certain behavior of the players needs to be a certain way.

I said nothing about the cue magically being set to where you simply lift your hand off the platter.

I specifically said if you put your hand on the platter to stop the track and hit cue, that’s when and where Amarillis is saying the new cue point would be set… just like Pioneer and Gemini do it.

If you want to jump back to the main cue in Amarillis’ scenario, you take your hand off the platter and hit cue, then it jumps back to the previously set cue.

My question to you was: Why do you need to be able to jump back to the prior set cue while your hand is on the platter holding the music as Denon has been doing it for years and continues to do it? Why do you want to have to hit pause first in order for hitting cue when your hand is on the platter to finally set a cue point? Is it just out of habit because that’s how you’ve always done it or is there something special you’re doing, like scratching and jumping back to the cue while your hand is on the platter?

Even in a scratching situation, taking your hand off the platter briefly before you hit cue seems like a reasonable thing if you want to jump back to the cue rather than to set it to a new point. I do realize that Pioneers allow you to scratch a cue while it’s paused and it “rubber bands” back to the cue upon release. But Gemini doesn’t do it that way, and it still works fine.

You didn’t, but the post I replied to did. I’m quite happy with the workflow as it is, and haven’t asked for anything to be changed, again, unlike the post that I was replying to.

As you don’t work for Denon, you don’t need to understand what I was asking for, as I wasn’t asking for anything. I was simply saying the current state of play is fine, and for me, it would be a nightmare if every time I skipped ahead to sort volumes out, my cue point reset itself (I had a disaster live with a set of CDJs doing odd things when I tried to get to my original cue point).

Read my post again - I simply stated my rationale why if something like this was implemented, i.e. changed form the current, was it should be toggleable, not changed. The OP does not say but stop then cue, he says stop the jog and cue is set. Your arguing against me when you haven’t even correctly read his point.

I don’t need to jump back to a cue when my hand is on the platter, I never said that at any point. What I don’t want, is every time I stop the music with the platter, a cue is set.

1 Like

That would be a nightmare :scream: At least for me.

1 Like

Now, I try to write this in a factual and not negative way.

For there are obviously some members who cannot cope when you speak your opinion, even if it is not evil meant in any way, and immediately attacks the person and his /hers opinions.

But it is incomprehensible to me that Denon still haven’t done anything about the problem of BPM analysis and the possibility of using the star rating in the latest update.

They might work on it (probably do) but its like one of the most (the BPM thing) commented issues, since the beginning.

Sync, for those who use this feature, is useless without a correct BPM. So is the loops etc.

My personal top 4 of (basic) things that needs focus, is.

1. BPM (fix/ change/ edit on the players)
  2. Star rating on-the-fly.
  3. Add comments to a track on-the-fly
  4. Activate predifened loops before playing (this came with one update, and went away with the next)

Then there are the advanced features, which just are bonuses, and I wont start on them here, as they dont need to take focus from the BPM thing.

This is just my opinion, and other might have other basic things to add.

2 Likes

Steevo ? Is it fair for me to agree with half your post but disagree with the other half? :wink:

The 5 stars and “rating on the fly” I really don’t see as being of value. Not when there’s only 5 tiers of scoring. Do I love a 4 star movie twice as much as a two star movie? I’m believing there’s more to it than that. There’s tracks I’d think of as utterly useless at the peak of a set, but that I would consider including at the beginning of a set.

Your other half of your post though, about beat gridding and bpm yes, I’d fully go for that ! I realise that nothing is ever going to get all bpms and all grids right , but any improvement is welcome in that area

Neither of us ever said that stopping the music with the platter or releasing the platter would automatically set a cue point. You’re the one that indicated that’s what we were saying. You were rebutting someone who was asking for something but you were not explaining why you wanted it to stay the way it is. That’s why I asked in the first place. You still don’t seem to understand what either the other poster or I was talking about. Re-read our posts again.

You’re right - he shouldn’t be getting all in your face about it.

Years ago on an older denon dual cd deck I had, there was a menu preset for changing the cueing mode from “Denon” to “other” where of course “other” was pioneers way of setting a cue point.

I liked that setting being there. I could use the decks in denon cue mode and my pioneer prodding friends could use it with “other” cue mode.

On prime 5000 we’ve got two different types of loop, so we could have two or more types of cueing offered.

I don’t know if holding the platter while setting a cue would work hiccup-free on both the 5000 and the 5000m, as the platters have difference (the motor ,of course) but maybe your desired way of cueing could be added as an option at some point, if you’re not the only one being seen to want it, and if motor and non-motor 5000s could adopt it successfully

Yeltsin was just confused by what we were talking about and got offended when I asked for more specifics why he was disagreeing with Amarillis’ request. He’s the one that started getting defensive. Don’t believe me? Go back and read them.

The oldest Denon cue method was actually pause then play sets the cue. Numark also used this method back when they had separate pause and play buttons. The method currently in use on the Prime players is a newer method for InMusic and I don’t believe was ever implemented as the “Denon method” when they gave people two cue setting options under the player preferences. Indeed, the Prime players’ current method is actually the method Denon referred to as the “standard” or “other” method, not their own. Several other companies, however, evolved this other method since then to where holding the platter and hitting cue also works for setting it to a new point. That’s the method Amarillis is asking for, in addition to it obviously working also when you pause the unit first.

So I presume neither of you have a reason for why Amarillis shouldn’t get what he wants? Or do you have a specific thing you want to do with how Denon is currently doing cue that his method will prevent?

Yes, I see that Reticuli got my point… Sorry for the confusion originated by my last post. It was not meant to rise such a dispute… And, by the way, I don’t think this is the right thread to ask for more features, starting from myself! This should be the place where we all take the latest release and talk about our testing… Moreover, I don’t thin that the 1.3.1 release would be official anymore, since they deleted it from the official download page…Lets wait what will happen…

1 Like

1.3.1 is official and the bug with Serato on the SC5000 has been fixed, that’s why the download links are back up

He did (see above for the quote a second time), your comprehension skills are cleary very poor, but that’s because you are too busy trying to show everyone what you j ow about everything when in fact no one actually cares - I wasn’t rebutting, and I don’t need to explain why I’m happy for something to stay exactly as it is in the current system, I simply said changing what currently happens wouldn’t work for me, make it user choice. What’s the big discussion point about that?

2 Likes

My opinion is that you’ve just typed something that more people than just yourself may possibly have the same point of view about.

2 Likes

No he didn’t. He wants the ability to set the cue point when in play mode but his hand is holding the wheel rather than only when it is paused. If you had more experience with actual club gear you would understand this than assuming the completely absurd idea that cue would be set when tapping or releasing the touch platter WITHOUT ACTUALLY TOUCHING THE CUE BUTTON. What’s wrong with you?!

Please stop SHOUTING at us with all those capital letters, word after word.

The “what’s wrong with you?!” Was somewhat personal also. Please ease off a little

1 Like