Engine OS wont recognise USB format after upgrading to Ventura on Macbook

The ‘fix’ is, dont update your OS when the software that runs on it isnt supported.

3 Likes

Wise words STU :+1:

1 Like

On a more serious note, happy to offer some tips if anyone wants to backwards install their OS, I’ve done it before and also rebuilt my macs about 3/4 times so can help people out with where to look for info and steps to take to protect data etc.

Hi STU, I have looked at a backwards install but looks a bit complicated for me. I’ll wait a little while to see if the Engine DJ tech come up with a software update, hopefully it wont be too long as its going to be a hindrance not being able to play my newest tracks on my controller. I wonder if Rekordbox and Serato have similar problems?

1 Like

It’s actually not too bad, the main issue is you can’t use the normal Time Machine route to rebuild.

You have to put the old OS on a bootable USB, manually remove all your files (music, photos and documents) to an external drive, then do a clean install from the bootable USB, and finally re-add your files and then wipe your Time Machine and back up from scratch.

It’s daunting but as long as you follow the instructions (I usually have them up on a tablet so I can read them) and double check you have extracted everything you need to keep beforehand you should be fine.

I had to go back to Catalina after my SL3 box stopped working on Big Sur, it took me a night to sort out but it was well worth it.

Like you say though hopefully they can sort it.

Ventura has been available since June to developers and the public (for preview) since July. Apple stated that it would be released in the fall. The real fix is for customer facing software companies (i.e. the team behind engine dj) to ensure they test their software at the earliest opportunity and also don’t use deprecated or unsupported API calls. 99% of software runs on upgraded O/Ss without any intervention (unless the O/S provider wants to break software). Yes the “get out of jail” here is to just not upgrade your OS until it’s supported, but that should not be the fix. The emergency alternative to those who may have upgraded their Mac is to install and run “parallels” and then run engine dj on top of that (if no other machine is available). However, you will be starting with a completely empty database, but if you need new material, then you can write to an USB drive instead of a SD card. I’m not sure about all of the controllers, but my one actually supports a USB hub so I can load off several USB drives. However, even with workarounds such as we’ve all suggested, this shouldn’t be an issue in the first place.

1 Like

Yes both Rekordbox and Serato ask not to update yet (links to macOS Ventura compatibility pages)

1 Like

I agree Rich, this shouldn’t be an issue in the first place. Its very frustrating and hopefully fixed before I next have to use my controller.

Never, ever update your OS as soon as a new OS comes out, if you use your laptop professionally. Live by this and you’ll always have a happier, less stressful life. : )

3 Likes

If you’re like me and don’t want to downgrade/change machines and just need to sync from the library to a drive, you can use this tool I’ve built:

I only tested it on arm64 (M1) hardware so far. Please read the README and contained disclaimers carefully before using the software.

1 Like

Hey @lerk looks as if a few of us independents have started to pick up the slack. I was considering writing one that would sync the dbs via playlists (i.e. open up m.db on the main database, open up m.db on the target drive and do some magic) to get people out of this hole. I’ll take a look at yours and if we can agree on a common language maybe we can colab? Glad to see it’s open source - mine will be when it’s reached a level of maturity.

1 Like

Hi @RichGreen, I’m using golang (doing the UI using fyne) and I decided to just copy the DB files and then open the copied DB to change the track paths; that way I don’t need to touch anything besides the things I need to update.

thanks for doing this. This bailed me out :grinning:

1 Like

I used it and was able to synch. Thanks for creating this as a work-around.

1 Like

I have used this workaround but it only copies the whole of the library unless i’m doing it wrong? Can it just copy individual playlists and if so can you instruct me…i’m getting old

Engine Tech bods are you any nearer to a update solution?

Unfortunately no, the tool will copy everything.

No worries, thanks for creating it anyway :+1:

Hi Everyone,

Engine DJ v2.4.0 is now available and brings official support for Apple Silicon chipsets and macOS Ventura. Thank you for your patience.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.