Engine DJ v2.4.0 Now Available - Ventura Support, Beat Grid Editor, Relocate Missing Files + More

Hi Everyone,

We’re pleased to announce that Engine DJ v2.4.0 is now available for both desktop and hardware platforms. This release brings several new features and improvements, including 2 of the top 10 feature requests, and official support for Apple Silicon chipsets (M1, M2) and macOS Ventura.

Additionally, based on your previous feedback, we expanded the Beat Jump / Auto Loop size linking options and brought Beat Jump back to the PRIME GO. AND… pressing CUE at the end of a track now returns to the start of the track rather than set the temp CUE at the end of the track. :smiley:

As always, thank you for your feedback, and we hope you enjoy this update. Happy Holidays!

Download

Desktop and OS Downloads + Manuals | Engine DJ

Release Notes

Engine DJ Performance Software for Hardware (OS)

New Features

• Beat Grid Editor – A new fullscreen beat grid editor brings expanded beat grid editing features to standalone devices. Offering grid alignment controls, anchor points for setting standard and dynamic (multi-tempo) beat grids, manual BPM entry with numerical keypad, TAP tempo, and lock.
  • Beat Jump and Auto Loop size controls can now be linked/unlinked. When linked, Beat Jump size and Auto Loop size are adjusted together via the Auto Loop encoder. When unlinked, Beat Jump size and Auto Loop size can be adjusted independently.
    • To adjust Beat Jump size independently on the SC5000/M, SC6000/M, PRIME 2/4, and SC LIVE 2/4 hold Shift and press the Beat Jump buttons.
    • To adjust Beat Jump size independently on PRIME GO, hold Shift and press the Auto Loop encoder button.
  • Temp Cue position can now be set while the deck is playing if the deck platter is engaged
  • Added the ability to send the microphone signal to the Zone output (PRIME 4)
  • Pressing the Cue button at the end of a track now returns the play head to the initial Cue position
  • Added the ability to maintain FX beat and parameter values (per effect) across power cycles*
  • Added the ability to reset FX beat and parameters to the factory default when changing effects*
  • Added HFS+ support for the latest generation of flagship Media Players (SC6000/M)**

Improvements and Fixes

• Play as Playlist crossfade time setting now persists across power cycles
  • The ‘Reset to defaults’ feature has changed to ‘Factory reset’ which now resets all device settings to their shipping defaults, and erases all Wi-Fi, and streaming service data.
  • Fixed an issue where Wi-Fi status was displayed incorrectly after powering on
  • Fixed an issue where in certain conditions, Wi-Fi networks would not appear in the network list
  • Fixed an issue where Wi-Fi could falsely present an “Input/output error” in certain circumstances
  • Fixed an issue where the device could hang when ejecting a media source that is currently in ‘Play as Playlist’ mode
  • Fixed an issue that prohibited History lists from being removed in Edit mode
  • Other various stability enhancements & improvements

*The current PRIME 4 system architecture employs a dedicated firmware-based FX engine and mixer. Effect improvements are planned to be added to the PRIME 4 in a future release.

**HFS+ support is only available for the latest generation of flagship Media Players. This addition has been added to support DJs outside of the Engine DJ ecosystem in professional performance environments.

Engine DJ Preparation Software (Desktop)

New Features

• Relocate Missing Files - Missing files can now be located via a manual or automated process. To relocate files, right-click on a missing (red) file to see the two new relocate options.
  • Added support for Apple Silicon chipsets
  • Added support for macOS 13 (Ventura)

Improvements and Fixes

• Improved Sync Manager track removal performance
  • Fixed an issue that prevented specific databases from adding new playlists and tracks
  • Fixed an issue that prevented dragging playlists from one drive to another
  • Fixed an issue where for certain tracks the ‘Date Added’ field was not displayed after import
  • Fixed an issue where the waveform Tooltip was not displayed when fully zoomed in/out
  • Fixed a crash for WASAPI audio driver on Windows OS
  • macOS 10.14 (Mojave) is no longer officially supported and installation is blocked due to internal library upgrade requirements
  • Other various stability enhancements & improvements

FAQ

Is HFS+ supported on my Engine DJ device?

HFS+ support is only available for the latest generation of flagship Media Players (SC6000, SC6000M). This addition has been added to support DJs outside of the Engine DJ ecosystem in professional performance environments.

Why are Rev Roll & Scratch no longer available within the effect list?

Based on recent customer feedback, these effects were unpopular and added little value to a typical DJ set. They also had the potential to do more harm than good, so in an effort to improve the overall FX experience, we decided to remove them.

Why are FX beat size and parameters stored per effect not available on PRIME 4?

The current PRIME 4 system architecture employs a dedicated firmware-based FX engine and mixer. Effect improvements are planned to be added to the PRIME 4 in a future release.

Why can’t I install Engine DJ 2.4.0 on macOS 10.14 Mojave?

The Engine development team wants to ensure Engine DJ is using the latest available tools to build the application. This has an unfortunate side effect in that Engine DJ 2.4.0 cannot support newer functionality on older operating system versions. Engine DJ 2.2.2 is the last officially supported version that can be used on macOS 10.14 (Mojave).

Why does auto relocate fail to find some of my files?

If a missing file has multiple candidates to relocate from, for example, duplicate files with matching paths across users’ music/documents/desktop folders, they will remain missing. These files can be linked manually by using the track browser and right-clicking to select Relocate Missing File from the context menu.

Mac only: Relocate is case-sensitive, file name needs to match the case-sensitivity in order to be found.

25 Likes

Hey Folks, This release has quite a few community feature requests. Did you know that you can let us know which new features you are interested in by voting for them here: https://community.enginedj.com/c/feature-requests/new-open-requests/267

Also, if you previously voted for the following features, you have the tokens back to vote for other things, as they have been implemented:

• Better BPM Editing
  • Relocate Lost Files
  • Remember the parameter setting for each individual effect
  • Platter hold + CUE sets the CUE marker on a playing deck

Cheers!

23 Likes

Great to see Auto-relocate added. Is the only place that can be auto-searched users’ music/documents/desktop folders? I can’t specify for example an external HD with a music folder for it to check?

1 Like

Hi,

Is this available to download via the web on a prime 4? Mine keeps coming up with v2.3.2 as the latest update

Ta

J

Mine has not seen it yet, updated from a USB stick.

i have a question, can the new hardware OS be used with older desktop software? I have a 2015 MBP with Catalina so will need to keep using the older version of desktop, but would like to keep my player up to date.

1 Like

Availability of the OTA update will vary. Please download from the web if you prefer not to wait.

Yeah but also downloading and install from a USB drive still let the device bootup in 2.3.2 Version. I will check it again

Yes, no problem. The database of all 2.x.x versions is the same.

3 Likes

This should not be the case. What device do you have and what is the file name for the update you applied?

I have two sc6000. I checked the filename: SC6000-2.4.0-Update.img

I am getting the same result when installing via download and web.

Iam used to use the web download on my players directly to ensure I have the right version.

Ok now its working for me. I redownloaded the img file again and tried it via USB. But Web shows still 2.3.2.

Because the latest Firmware Version for 1850 mixer is still 1.7 I assume the FX changes have no effect on 1800/1850 mixer?

Good decision with the effects.

What happened to your big FX survey?

Will new effects be added in the future?

Great that finally 3 desired features from the top ten have been implemented

Good job - keep it up

2 Likes

The FX survey was extremely useful. You’ll see more FX updates in future releases. :slight_smile:

15 Likes

Hello everyone,

With Engine DJ v2.4.0, the first system that can actually be used without a computer is born.

2 Likes

Do you not need a computer to organise music?

1 Like

Referring to editing the grid and BPM on the players?

2 Likes

Ah yeah, that is a cool addition.

1 Like