Digital Sample Rate Settings On X1850 Mixer

Hi Stu-C

Yes it is but I did not like to say on this forum being Denon, the build quality is very good and the 60 smooth faders are fantastic but it is almost double the price. But there was some parts of the X1850 that are not on the Xone 96 that if I had the choice would add.

Keith

I think we’re all pretty open minded on here, it was only the last few months that I had any Denon product on my home setup at all, before that it was Technics, Rane, Pioneer and Mastersounds.

So, it was just the led ladders flickering their bottom led , if the gain was above a certain level - no musical/sonic issues - just a cosmetic

I thought he previously said it was not just cosmetic, but rather there was a slight added background noise in 96khz mode that the LED meters were accurately registering that was independent of the music or whether any was even playing.

Has InMusic specifically explained the cause of this admitted design or manufacturing defect in the X1850? Is it firmware or hardware related? Jitter, for instance, can be caused by either software math problems in audio processing, or it can be caused by bad hardware timekeeping, and at extreme levels can present as increased background digital-domain noise, such as clicking.

Hi Pasha

In one of my first posts I did say there was some back ground noise that went with the LEDs flickering, so not just cosmetic. Yes if you turn up the gain very high on most things you may get some noise, but this is not that or cables. I have been around DJ equipment & Hi-Fi for many years and this was additional noise be it only slight.

The last time I spoke with the technician at the place I bought it as he can talk with the technical team at InMusic on a level that I can not. I had asked could they fix my mixer (this was the second one) and he said my first mixer was on the bench still and I think he said something about in partly in pieces with test equipment connected to try and find the fault. At that point they could not find the fault but he said something about it being built into to it, so I don’t know if that’s hardware or software issue, they also said that they was passing in onto there main tech centre, they may have resolved the issue by now.

Keith

Dj Keith, Inmusic hasn’t yet answered the ticket I opened 5 days ago. Did it take a long time to answer you?

Hi Edubeat

I would say an average time for first replay was 7 days, then after it can be 2/3 days apart.

Keith

Any recent news on this?

Hi Reticuli

No they don’t have to update me as I sent both X1850s back and had a refund, but last I heard the fault was most likely in the design so will stay there. From what I could tell I was about the only person who came across this fault as no one uses the the 96k output most DJs use the lower one for connecting to other devices. I was hoping other DJs with the mixer would take this up but no one seams bothered.

I am not very happy with Denon to be honest the mixer is supposed to have 60mm faders but they are only 50mm (something for trading standards). and the SC6000s that I have I think are great but they keep reducing the file size that the player has with all these updates and I use large file size for good quality some thing I want and they claim it can do. I wish I had gone for the Pioneer now.

Keith

What’s ‘trading standards’?

If you want integration and 96khz, perhaps you should get an X1800.

If the players either automatically adapted to the track sample rate or could be set at 44.1 or 48khz, I wouldn’t use 96 ever.

Also, what do you mean with ‘reducing file size’?

It’s a British government department who deal with complaints around companies who falsely advertise products or act otherwise unethically.

Oh wow. It seemed like maybe he was talking about the upfaders, though. I mean, we all knew they were short and soldered to the board. The 96khz on the mixer needs to be resolved, though, especially considering the state of the players.

Hi Reticuli

When I bought the 1850X it was the latest spec and did 96 kHz output to match the SC6000s that I also purchase. I am old school and believe in good quality, If it says on the product description that it works at 96 kHz then it should. The same goes for the line faders on the mixer Denon put out videos and spec saying that the faders are 60mm when in fact they are just under 50mm, that is breaking trading standards, I know this as fact a as in retail management for many years.

Regarding the file size sorry this is from another thread / issue, but in short as I said above I am about good sound so I make digital copies of my vinyl collection at 192,000 kHz @ 24 bit Wav Uncompressed for my Hi-Fi but scale them down to 96,000 kHz @24 bit for the SC6000s.

Now according to the spec for the SC6000s they read files up to 192,00 kHz @ 32 bit but play back at 96,000 kHz @24 Bit. My files for my Hi-Fi where so large they do do play via the link between the two players but do if you have a separate drive for each player, but even with that they where taking a time to load so as the players only play at 96,000 kHz I scaled them all down to save space and load quicker. However some where still to large to work via the link between the players so InMusic told me the limit was 250Mb so I then spent many weeks getting them within that figure. Then with another update it went down to 236 Mb max.

Since then with all the new things they have installed on the players the memory within the player is now even less for these new features that my files are taking time to load, its getting silly.

But back to there claim it plays files 192,000 kHz @ 32 Bit well I have not worked it out but a file that size and what they have done to the memory within the player you could not play a 3 minute track more like a 30 second advert at the most.

Keith

I’m curious actually what the players resample everything to internally for their work rate. I personally think they either shouldn’t be resampling anything and adapt to the rate of the track and/or let you choose the rate. The SPDIFs are limited to a max of 96khz, I believe, but the DACs are not.

The original 270MB link limit would indeed cap you out at about 2min 55sec track length for a 32bit 192khz file. I wasn’t aware that the size limit had shrunk.

I also previously asked what happens with large Tidal files. I’m still not totally sure about that.

I don’t see why InMusic can’t simply link large files across the network link like Hanpin, old Denon, and Pioneer did successfully for years. Even Gemini eventually figured that part out. Obviously you’ll lose out the ability to play the track if the drive or network connection is lost, but that’s a reasonable trade-off.

Hi Reticuli

Sorry for the late replay, I don’t know what goes on inside the units at that level of tech it’s somewhat above me, only that they play files up to 192 kHz @ 32 bit but scale them down to 96 kHz @ 24 bit for play back. I would guess it never goes below the 96 kHz @ 24 bit within or it would be pointless. All I know is Quality is not Denon / InMusic main concern as the more gimmicks they add the working memory /speed goes down. - Keith

“Pointless” in that regard is a subjective thing, I guess, when 44.1khz sample rate files are treated on the Prime players like 32khz (-3dB down at 16khz), you barely start getting 44.1khz sample rate performance until 96khz sample rate files (about -3dB down at 20khz), and you have to deal with 100X the intermodulation distortion of the original music even with keylock off and at zero pitch. I suspect the X18xx mixers’ difficult-to-measure weirdly-dry, over-damped sonics added to the Prime players’ own signature pushes people past a threshold of audibility for the combination that’s not so bad if you use the players with another mixer or the mixers with other players… well, assuming you’re not using 96khz mode on the X1850 that is apparently defective & noisy.