Denon just don't get It - Quality of features

I can’t speak for Holland but I assure you I keep an eye on what’s said on here, not my place to voice opinions here though. :innocent:

6 Likes

Not everybody can remain objective when they are frustrated.

I can follow the OP that we see too many new “extra” features while we see too few quality of life features. The last few updates didn’t knock me off my socks either. of course, things like stems look cool, but when you are playing for example an improvised allnighter set in front of 1000 people, are you really going to use them, or are you going to play regular tracks? I know very few DJs who have both the required technical skills and music finding skills combined, let alone run the lighting rig on top of that :wink:

If I had to choose between in-device star ratings or stems, I would definitely choose star ratings and never look back!

5 Likes

Haha I won’t disagree with any of it as I would too (and one of my votes is attached to that particular request)…. I do feel that popping up here every few months, usually after a release just to throw insults around isn’t right though, and could be seen as nothing more than trolling. None of these people ever engage with the community aspects of the forum, never chat about music or DJ culture etc, they literally just come here to complain, at which point I just find it nonsensical.

I would say 50% of issues people raise are probably warranted but the other 50% are usually user errors.

Every piece of technology on the planet can have issues but the fact that I invested once in the prime 4 three years ago when the price was around £1400 and I’m still getting new functionality today with no additional cost is amazing. True 4 channel standalone unit…come on man…that’s insane. Now if you’d rather keep investing with brands that make you buy a new unit anytime something new is implemented then go for it.

Comments like I want a player and not a sampler or an effects engine well you can’t win then can you because you also have the other side where people want more for their buck. Just go back and read past posts…want a sampler, want touch fx, fx need improving, improvement on gridding etc and all of these have been added or updated.

I’ve always found that any bug that actually affects your performance gets fixed. (I’m speaking purely on my experience)

If you want to moan about things like rating tracks and whatever I’m sorry but I’d rather have some new performance functionality. If I bought a car without a sunroof knowingly I can’t then 6 months later start moaning that I don’t have sunroof and start having a pop at the dealer. If things like rating tracks is that important then surely you’d pick a unit that had this to begin with and not assume that you’ll naturally get this one day.

But that’s me and I understand we all have our own preferences but the argument needs to be balanced. No company can tailor a unit specifically for one person’s needs and wants. There’s a few features I don’t use but they are there and I know other DJs will benefit from them.

And for what it’s worth I’ve always researched what I buy before investing and one of the places I do go frequently is @philmorse YT channel. Always honest, will tell you the cons as well as the pros.

Research and know what you’re buying.

There’s intense beta testing before every release and like any software update or patch, issues can occur where something gets broken in the process but it does get flagged and fixes are done.

That’s software!!! How many times do you play a video game and a new update comes along and the game glitches? It happens!

No negativity intended to anyone on this thread, just my personal view which I appreciate is subjective.

2 Likes

You are 100% correct Stu, the content should remain constructive, but that’s not the world we live in and as some of us know ‘it’s easier to criticize than it is to praise’.

Not defending his vernacular, but clearly it’s not English, regardless he still has valid points. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Easy example - Missing files? This one got me a bit confused and still am :sweat_smile:

They added “relocate” fantastic but we didn’t get a way to manage files that are not just moved.

If you are going to do something either do it right or don’t do it at all.

Or does this not apply in dev.

It is the little stuff I find frustrating rather than stems/samplers.

8 Likes

Sorting the red tracks in the library would be very useful, so they can be dealt with as a batch.

4 Likes

Not getting red tracks would be even better … still don’t understand why this happens?

2 Likes

It happens usually when the file path of the track changes, the DB references the file from its exact file path and any minute change to that and it’ll turn red. Same goes for all other DJ software.

The thing is :

New feature of inst-dual wibbly figs with visual feedback

… may be “Essential” may be a “with my dying breath” (eat more oranges), may be a “everyone else has this feature” maybe a “i can’t live or DJ without this” may be a “I’m going to cry and buy a pioneer” (the two actions are normally linked) etc for SOME DJs

But for other DJs the same feature, implimented or not, could be a function that’s (going to be) taking up processor cycles, memory, forcing other features to be “hidden” in the preferences menu or behind an unnatural feeling key combo of shift double-tap twist etc or only appeared after the processor was overclocked or taxed harder, resulting in one or two visual flicks of the waveform, unimportant flicks unless you’re serato-faced onto your screen all night, rather than focusing on the far more important aspect of the breathing people the other side of the displays.

We’ve got far far more than we ever paid for. Maybe it’s time to call it quits on new features on current models, launch some new ones but remember the feature requests which were still submitted by Prime users.

2 Likes

Dear all,

I read these posts with great interest and pleasure permanently.

I bought my P4 in June 2021 with v1.6.1 and retrospective I can confirm that there are many amendments and improvements. As a customer we never can estimate how much time for developement, programming, testing, step back was necessary to launch an update. We always only see the top of an iceberg and many thanks to DENON.

When I read all the posts here, I ask myself, did the author asked himself, “how often do I use this function”. To be honest, some functions will stress me unnucessary in a gig (it will take too much time, to choose and use an effect properly. This I have to test before I will gig).

But I aggree they are nice to have them and depending on what you wanna do, “they are utmost necessary”.

So let me repeat: I always (try) to ask myself, “how often do I really need anything for perfect beatmatching”.

Inproper transitions everybody on the dancefloor will recognize immediately. An echo FX or Flanger FX is nice to have it and it will be “standard” nowadays, but nobody will critize the DJ when he will not use this or that FX during his gig.

So I will repeat at this point, how important (and I think, not only for me) it is that we can prelisten the filter FX. With this FX you can peruse your transition before opening the faders to the loudspeakers. Selecting bass, middle and high range is the first choice instrument to adjust your tracks properly, sometimes all four platters simultaneously.

And this function a DJ needs with every single transition and so I think, it’s most important —beside the beatgrid and frequeny curve on the monitor—.

Imo it’s DJ’s profession and solid craftsmen work to beatmatch properly all night long, mostly eight hours a gig, disregarded time to prepare and clean up.

Before this background, I will remind to this link:

https://community.enginedj.com/t/sweep-fx-doesnt-effect-any-longer-in-the-headphones-when-prelistening-after-migration-to-v-3-1-0/49300

But by the way, I like the amandments, advances and improvements very much, especially it is not normal with other brand marks to receive this service without any furthermore investment.

Happy beatmatching and brgds BeatMaster

3 Likes

It’s normal behaviour on most Allen & Heath and Pioneer DJM mixers, no? I can’t pre-listen filter on my Xone DB2, couldn’t on my DJM850 also :+1:

Moin @rcatelli,

thanks for your comment. In former times it was normal that prelistening was only “linear” (without any bass, high or midrange tones).

DENON offered the tool to prelisten combined with FX-Filter till upgrade to v3.1.0 and this ability was one advantage for me to decide for DENON’s Prime 4.

This tool allows you to amend bad copies of a track and adjust e.g. LP-Record (little dynamik) and 12incher (high dynamik, sometimes only distorsions / overdrive).

Did you had the chance to compare prelistening with and without FX-Filter? Imo FX-Filter for prelistening simplifies DJ’s work in beatmatching crucial.

Regarding the link above, pls be so kind as to keep us posted and thanks in advance

Brgds BeatMaster

1 Like

The Post here is very busy and cool, I’m following all the posts and points of view! That is great!

I have a dissatisfaction with the Engine Lighting embedded in our equipment since version 2.0!

Please, who here uses it?

How many times have you used it?

And why don’t you use it?

These are the questions I ask. Well, I found this sensational from the first moment I tested it after updating my 6000. But all I had to do was enter the system and see what it is like!

I don’t have Philips HUE lights, much less NANOLEAF, very expensive lights! Yes, in my country a set of these lights costs a motorcycle!! Ridiculous! DMX control? Ok, I have a generic DMX/USB Dongle, it’s no use! I have DMX lights and I can’t use them in Engine Lighting! Buy the SS Dongle?? Difficult, it doesn’t officially sell in Brazil and I’ve already tried importing from other stores in the USA (39 dollars + 109 dollars in taxes! RIDICULOUS!)

Because of this, for me, it becomes a useless system! Very good, excellent, no other equipment on the market does it, but… what’s the point if you can’t use it?

Do you know why on this forum the vast majority of Denon users are from the USA and Europe or even some places in ASIA? Simply because Denon wants to have marketing in other countries!

Pionner wants to sell officially in Brazil too, but it does its marketing! I like Denon, this philosophy of updates, all the innovative hardware, the embedded technology! Even this forum can’t compare to the competition, but I see some big flaws!

I discuss this directly in DJ communities here in Brazil, people buy Pioneer with their eyes closed because it is infested with this on the market and it is the equipment they know, Denon, many people know! I do my part by spreading the word!! :blush: :blush: :blush:

1 Like

I initially thought how cool it would be to have programmed light show for each track.

I got about 40 or 50 bangers/anthems set up with their own custom light show - but of course, for the other 100,000+ tracks in my collection, a couple of dozen auto loop generic 4:4,bar light loop programs

Ultimately it’s become better for me to just program some great generic shows is Daslight DMx software and leave the laptop mic open so that Daslight can bounce the light shows along with the bpm of whatever’s playing, which then works for every song and even partially crossfaded mix. That’s why I don’t use Soundswitch now.

The rest of your post is more about your view on pricing and some guilt tripping mentions of other manufacturers and marketing in different regions, so merely subjective rather than definitive. Probably better as its own thread rather than diluting the original thread, perhaps a mod can split it away so that you possibly get some bites on those points though, good luck , fingers crossed

There’s a fair few wedding DJs and mobile DJs that use it. As it’s subscription, it’s paid for as an addition. I have 29 individual Hue lights in and around the house (including garden too). It’s just and expensive habit as I like to colour each room with. I use it every time I power up my decks. I have four Play bars around my SC5000Ms & Prime 4.

You can’t use your own DMX dongle with Engine OS yet. You can with the desktop but that’s a few approved ones.

Anyway, back on topic. This isn’t aimed at you but generally from some comments I see on here. I wouldn’t what anyone to think that by developing Engine Lighting they are taking features and development time away from the main OS. SoundSwitch is run by a separate team in NZ and is an app on top of Engine OS (it’s why it loads when you go into Engine Lighting).

I sometimes spot forum users not quite grasping this and bash “wasted” development time on Engine Lighting. The teams are separate. The EL app on Engine OS is there to replay the stuff that has been paid for via a monthly SoundSwitch subscription with the added bonus of throwing a few free smart lights into the mix for some non-sub users that own them.

1 Like

Well, I use Engine Lighting on a daily basis. I find it a very awesome addition to my Prime 4 and everyone I show it to is impressed by it.

For a device with so many use cases, it is only logical that there will be features that do not appeal to certain situations. If you don’t use it, it shouldn’t bother you though. Just don’t go to the Lighting menu and it should be fine :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I love my Soundswitch setup; I don’t DJ out at all anymore, but fire them up whenever I fancy a mix and love the way the Nano’s sync to the music. Brilliantly innovative bit of kit, after years of designing the light shows for our own nights, wish I’d had it back then!!!

1 Like

I think the new features are good and I am happy to play around with them. Every update brings new life to the gear.

However I do think Denon can do more with the motorized platter performance and sound quality. The M models are Denon’s trademark so I believe they should be worked on to be the best the dj world has to offer for those who like motorized platters. The question has to be asked though; Are the flagship 6000M DMC battle ready?

These are the things I ponder when I see debates about quality of features.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply! Sometimes I think that my translator is trolling me, leaves the sentences with another meaning, because I see how I am answered! I apologize to the members for the translation!

About what I wrote, my displeasure with Engine lighting is that it does not yet support generic DMX/USB dongles. I saw on the Denon website that “for now only with Soundswitch interface”, this implies that soon we will be able to use our generic dongles as on the pc!

Even the official soundswitch dongle is not expensive, the problem is that to import it from outside, it triples the value! I don’t know any Brazilian DJ who has denon prime who has it! So if it were too easy to find this dongle in the domestic market or when generic is released, the function will be widely used!

I want to use, in my dmx lights, but without needing the PC for this! So I’ll wait until they release the function for generic dongles in the players :+1::+1:

1 Like