Denon DJ Prime in Clubs vs Pioneer

It’s sad that these “big DJ’s” can’t even produce their own stuff. I don’t even get it why these ghost producers do it anyway. But perhaps if I was paid a nice sum I wouldn’t care all that much either :smiley:

Indeed. Tomorrowland also had both sets last year. Would be nice if they’d show the SC6000 this year…

It’s just a matter of lack of time.

Benno de Goeij produces with and for Armin. While Armin has certainly produced his own music, he simply has too much work as a DJ.

Sure I can live with that. As you say, Armin does a lot of stuff so he can surely do it himself. No shame in getting help. Since I am suffering severe hearing loss in the high frequencies, I need help mixing. But music production I do all myself. Then again, I don’t have a DJ career as successful as Armin does. I wish :smiley:

I honestly think its also comes down to interest and Joy.

Some people find a bigger joy in producing, rather than performing. Take a look at Avicii… He loved producing, but performing - not that much.

So if some constellation are a skilled performer with a skilled ghostproducer, that might be the thing that works for them. As long as the music is good, I’ll play it.

2 Likes

Fair points. But me, I would feel bad if I’d be out there playing tracks with my name on them, knowing I was not the major reason those tracks existed, you know? I’d feel pretty fake.

I understand :slightly_smiling_face: and I would too.

I guess some of them have a close companionship where they exchange ideas, during the process in the making of individual track - but probably not all of them.

So after having ordered them in January, my first SC6000M is finally delivered. But the second one appeared to be a regular SC6000. Bummer.

It is a cool piece of gear. The big screen is massive and looks awesome. Will test it later :slight_smile:

1 Like

I wouldn’t worry about it, Mark Ronson and Sean Paul dont seem all that perturbed bout it

Imo this shift is going to happen over a generation, it’s not something that can be lost so easily by not acting NOW! Denon — and, critically, InMusic — is acting like it, too, laying the groundwork for a folks to see that Denons are obviously the choice of the future, something a lot of us on these forums already see. They want to be the Apple to Pioneer’s IBM — if Apple’s were cheaper!

It would be great if they could convert more top-line DJs, yes, but honestly the folks they will have the best luck with are the young, the first-time buyers or the folks looking for their home units. Every time I see ppl with the XDJ-1000s I shake my head — for the same price they could’ve matched feature for feature the top-of-line CDJs (well, minus the CD part …) AND had 2 layers of trax. And lots of folks are grabbing the XDJs because they want the cheaper CDJ alternative! Folks just getting started, or folks looking to have something decent at home to play/practice on. Denon should be in competition for every one of those purchases.

If the sc5000s prove durable over the long-term (5-15 years), you’ll start seeing folks picking them up for even cheaper over the years and the Denon revolution will keep growing and growing.

The big question is how capable Pioneer is of shifting to meet this challenge. So far they have shown themselves incapable.

Denon is set up so so well to chart the path to the future, far beyond what they’ve got going already. The potential from having WiFi on their players alone is a couple years worth of feature development that could end up completely lapping Pioneer. Also just learned that the first low-latency wireless tech for DJs was exhibited at NAMM last year, by Stanton … who was just bought by InMusic. So now you, too, get to imagine a completely wireless Prime GO — no wires to the speakers, to wires to the headphones.

The future is bright :slight_smile:

1 Like

I understand what you’re saying. If I was a lazy Pioneer DJ, I would certainly be attracted bu the way better and attractive Denon. What would stop me? If only it was as simple as:

• Open Engine Prime
  • Connect rekordbox drive.
  • Klick “Forget Pioneer NOW”
  • Plug disk in SC5000/SC6000
  • Have all folders, playlists, history… EVERYTHING

That would move a LOT more DJ’s and clubs. Even better if the rekordbox format would be convertable on the fly so club owners can install Denons and lazy Pioneer DJ’s would simply plug in their obsoleted player drive and BAM: it works. Once you have then converted enough DJ’s, you can cut out Rekordbox support. Then, the roles are reversed. Now sure, this is a lot of software coding. Hence, open-source Engine Prime! Let folks who want to, contribute. Denon just needs to review it, correct etc.

That’s what I would do. Kind regards

1 Like

Well, hate to break it down here for Ya, but this is how my transition from Pioneer to Denon went down. Got my self a Rekordbox usb stick, went to a show where they had Denon, plug it in, played normal. Just back then was no official Rekordbox support yet, but anyway, found my files in the player browser and just played. It was good, it was fun and way better than Nexus decks I had then. Today, Denon is not only catching up, they already passed Pioneer’s way further. Workflow of Drag and Drop in Engine is great. There are some beatgrid issues on tracks above 250BPM, but still everything is manageable. Decks perform great, all functions work as they should. Can’t actually find a major issue to complain about.

3 Likes

So, I played my first gig today with the Prime 4 and no laptop. Over the weekend I installed a hard drive in the Prime 4 and added over 10k of tracks. Played the entire gig from my hard drive and the occassional TIDAL track using my phone as a hotspot. Completely flawless event!! My DDJ-SZ2 will be on the market soon.

4 Likes

Wow Thanks NoiseRises. I did not know that. I heard that converting from rekordbox to Prime you did not have all your data. Personally I opted not to just convert from Rekordbox as I had all my stuff also in iTunes which needed cleaning out the garbage. So I took 2 weeks of trashing and stuff. And then I recreated my structure entirely on Engine Prime. Happy with it although Engine Prime was a little buggy in the sense that moving folders e.g. sometimes makes it crash. But is is workable.

Thanks for your insights. I agree, Denon is wayyyyyy further and I am happy shows put on the Denon’s instead. I hope to see more of that.

Cheers mate.

1 Like

The only issue I had with an SC5000M once was that suddenly, I had no more sound out of the B Layer. Fortunately, not during the playing of the track, but after the track had finished, I loaded another one, hit play to pre-listen, and no sound. The X1800 did not show any signal either. I had to restart the player which fixed the issue. Thank God the other player’s 2 layers did work.

Further I also noticed beatgrid issue but nothing problematic and correctable on the fly. Another bug which I’ll have to try if it still exists is, if you select a long spin down time on deck B, you hit pause to start the spin down, then select the other layer to start the player, you would expect layer B to continue to spin down. But as soon as you switched layers, layer B stops which is NOT what you need.

Further, they played flawlessly and they are a lot of fun to play with. Love them; Aesthetically I’m not sure if I like the SC6000M better. The colors of the 5000 are pretty cool I think but the big screen of the 6000 is bloody awesome :smiley:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts guys.

2 Likes

I’m amazed that DJs in the USA are doing gigs, when statistics show the USA as one of the most infected places on the planet with COVID-19.

:man_shrugging:

1 Like

Statistics: a method to use numbers to explain anything to one’s own advantage.

3 Likes

Hah hah. Statistics is an actual science/math discipline, but unfortunately you have to be an actual statistician to fully understand when it’s being used properly.

1 Like

The problem of statistics is the chosen input to get a certain output. If you want or don’t like an output, you just change the input.

Conclusion: statistics means nothing.:relieved:

Andddd on-topic again.:sunglasses:

1 Like

What about the various tests of statistical significance?

The P value is an example