Corrupted Database

Yeah, Promo Only. I have thousands of tracks from there going back to 2016. They’re a legit pool and the track names are pretty solid, I’m not saying thats not the cause though.

Historically it was fine for about two years, the problems started randomly one day as i was scrolling through on my P4 looking for a track and it randomly ejected a USB and i lost all the music on there. Sorted out with a backup but since then i’ve had all this.

Yeah so when that happens there should be an event log that captures the messages after the crash.

If you’ve explored all other avenues like different USB’s etc and even an internal drive, i think its gotta be something to do with the DB file or some of your music.

One thing you could do is download Serato lite then analyse all your music in there and then check for corrupted files. It shows them up in the left most column with a lightning strike iirc, i used to have a good few in my collection.

Thats a good idea, i think Virtual DJ does the same with corrupted files and i already have that so i’m going to give that a go!

I don’t think VDJ displays info for corrupt files any more. It’s certainly not an option for any of the filters or browser columns.

Cheers Pk. I can’t use serato as that requires the hardware to be unplugged to analyse the files, but my files are on the hardware. :man_facepalming:t2:

No you don’t need hardware plugged in.

Infact you can’t analyze when hardware is plugged in.

Hi Mufasa,

Yes, thats what i’m saying, i can’t use Serato to analyse for corrupted foles because to do so i need to unplug the hardware, but i can’t unplug the hardware as the data is on a drive in the hardware!

How did the music files get to the hardware?

The music files used to exist on a Windows Laptop, and were copied onto the drive. Recently, i formatted the drives, so they were taken off, put on an external Hard drive, the USB formatted and the files put back on, via Finder on a Mac.

I get that it would be ideal to have them stored on the Mac and exported via Sync Manager to the drive, and put on that way, however I just do not have enough storage on the Mac for them all to live there.

I am currently trying to import them from the drive to the Mac Collection, to then export them back to the drive, but I got a corruption error again.

For context, I am working through a Promo Only folder at the minute. I have a folder for every month from April 2017 to December 2020 on this drive. I got them all on up to June 2020, and then it corrupted on the next batch of three folders i tried to import, July, August and September. So I started again, thinking that if i start with those three, it will corrupt again and i can pinpoint which file is causing the problem… no, they all went on fine! So it would appear its not a file thats corrupting it, its almost like a data limit.

This folder is 107GB, and i would estimate that i can get around 100GB on before it corrupts. The USB is 256GB.

I am trying another pass now in a slightly different order to see if i get the same kind of thing.

• Buy a Samsung T7 (and one or two similar sized external drive to use as a cloned back up)

• Format it APFS

• Copy all your music files to it

Use that as the music source for engine dj (desktop)

Thanks Mufasa.

The music files are located on a 1tb (or maybe 2tb?) external hard drive (not SSD) as it is. I did think earlier that maybe I could do it this way round. Does that particular type of format matter? I’m not sure what that is, I’ve not seen that before.

I will connect that to the Mac, add the files to my collection and try to export them to the USB.

I use a mac as well and dont store any music internally.

• All my files are on a 2TB Samsung T7 formatted in APFS.

• I have an old 500gb Samsung T3 (exfat) for use with the players.

• I use sync manager to send music from the T7 to the T3.