[CONFIRMED] Engine DJ 2.0- Playlists

Ah ok, that makes sense… ive only ever mapped my laptop files into playlists in RB or Serato so never actually tried to duplicate a track before.

I guess a ‘solution’ would be to have several numbered versions of the track you want so you can add them? Not ideal but could work.

1 Like

Another scenario…

I often run audio for awards ceremonies, & it’s fairly common to re-use a particular sting or walkup bed, if the same person re-appears later in the running order.

It would make a lot of sense to be able to have multiple instances of the same track in a playlist, in that scenario.

2 Likes

It looks like the history function might do this.

The only “why” here is you having a use case!!!

1 Like

Getting rid of a harmless option such as this is a terrible move from Denon. I use a blank track to separate segments within a specific playlist. I like separating my sets into genre-specific segments that I can interchange. Not being able to add the same track to the same playlist is a huge no for me. I will not upgrade OS until they give us this option back.

Hell, I might even go back to recordbox since it allows for duplicate tracks in a playlist. Its a freaking playlist Denon, there is bound to be duplicates.

I look forward to their response from this…

2 Likes

I agree with you on this.

I used to do the same thing a long time ago. An easy workaround for players that don’t allow dupes is to just have a set of blank files named as Spacer1, Spacer1, Spacer1, etcetera.

2 Likes

I have a playlist where I ended with the same track I opened with…this is no longer possible to do. I mean, while performing I can make a note to myself to cue it up at the end but it just seems like a needless removal of a feature. It’s like they just got rid of playlists and made everything crates. Not sure what the distinction is anymore or if there is one.

Im never that organised lol, when I turn up to my gigs I pick a track then go from there, 5 hours later ive played some music, thats about as far as my organisation goes… I do have playlists for all my genres then A-Z of albums though.

Thanks for your feedback here. Yes, duplicated tracks is something we removed from Engine DJ for 2.0. However, we are aware that there are certain workflows that require duplicates, and are exploring our options for adding this back in a future update to Engine DJ.

The duplication check is done via file path, so as a workaround you can duplicate any files you need more than 1 copy of in the filesystem, (ie TRACKNAME(2).wav ) and add it to Engine DJ. On a personal note - coming from Serato DJ before Engine, this is what i use for referencing talk breaks in my radio set playlists to workaround the lack of duplicates.

Of course it goes without saying… theres nothing to stop you scrolling back to the song you need to play a 2nd or 3rd time and playing it again.

Just to summarise, I hear all of your feedback about the removal of duplicates, and will be echoing this back to the team.

Thanks all!

8 Likes

Back to rekordbox… yes :wink: If I am angry, I do unclever decisions, too… Ok, currently it is not optimal, it can work for you with not complicated workaround:

• just create multiple blank separation files (you can even name the separators differently, e.g. by genre, so you know what is in the section)
  • then you can use that separators all over your sets

I think it’s good that this function has been removed.

So you no longer run the risk of having the same title in several playlists that you then have to laboriously delete again

The solution for everyone - a switchable option

This is what I ended up doing. Made duplicates of my blank separation files and named them differently. It works for me now until they reintroduce duplicates again (if they do).

Any idea when this function will be added back in? I’ve updated the software on my PC but realised that I can’t have dupes any more. I don’t want to update my players or my USB stick so I’m now stuck with no new tunes until I can update my stick again and I don’t want to do that until duplicates are put back in.

In my case I use a separator file to section playlists for several reasons. For example in a couple of playlists I just keep little sections of blends that I’ve pulled out of my history list after a set if there was a particularly good mix; I chuck them all in one playlist separated by the separator file so I have a lot of separators. Renaming them and having lots of separators would be a nightmare.

2 Likes

@Sick_nimpson - How do you create “Separator file”? Thx!!

Good day to you all,

in this matter I have a question, and I can’t believe that in ENGINE DJ it seems to be impossible, to remove a single track (or even more) from a playlist.

Working in a playlist (e.g. ready_to_delete) I can remove only from “COLLECTION”.

If I remove from collection, the result is that the track will be deleted forever, but in the folder Collection I want to keep the track.

Is here anybody, who can please be so kind as to show me the way, how to remove a track only from “playlist” and not totally from "COLLECTION"

Many thanks in advance and brgds

BeatMaster

looks ok here

1 Like

Moin, moin Mufasa,

thanks I will try it with immediate effect and keep you posted

Brgds

Beatmaster

Thank’s it works perfectly. You know the right point to touch :innocent:

Good night

BeatMaster

2 Likes

I just created a 5 second audio file with no sound called “separator.mp3”. I then gave it the track title of “-----------------------------------------” in its ID3 tag and that’s it. Just drag it multiple times into each playlist that it’s used so it’s multiplied, then I drag them where they’re needed. In the case of my mix scrapbook playlists I just have a load of them ready to go at the bottom of the playlist, then when I come across a great mix worth remembering I just drag those few tracks from history to in between a pair of un-used separators in the scrap book playlist.