Apple Music, Spotify, etc... Adding more streaming services?

That’s what I like about DJ forums when the discussion of music usage comes up…. I like the variety … always a different brick wall to bash your head against, when someone with a different view to the facts, is told, the facts.

Historically, in the topics of music licensing PKtheDJ is our most factually accurate member. He’s always happy to back up his own words with cut and pastes directly from the streaming services very own small print.

The basic, but sometimes hard to swallow, facts are:

When a person, DJ or not, pays 79 cents for a track, or 3 bucks for a CD single (old skool , lol) or pays 15 bucks a month for a streaming service with zillions of tracks available, that one-off or monthly payment does not mean the purchaser owns every right to do every action with that song - usually we’re buying the right to do nothing more than listen to a track with our own ears in a private situation, like at home or on headphones/earbuds on a bus or train etc

Then again, no-one ever said DJing should be or would be cheap, free, or profitable (mind you, if it’s not profitable, put your prices up)

1 Like

There are services available though, that are intended for professional use, and licensed for use by DJs, radio stations, broadcast, retail, hospitality etc.

The deal there is that it’s NOT for personal use.

2 Likes

That quote was from May 2021 :slight_smile:

Now here we are in 2024 and Algoriddim have integrated Apple Music into their DJay Pro software. Maybe not top dog yet though, because although the software is cross platform, features are not, and controller support is not.

Not anymore. Apple Music Streaming Library is now available to DJay Pro AI. And works wonderfully.

Yes, as I wrote in the post immediately above yours, in early February. The post you’re responding to is nearly three years old.

I wish some online website of samples packs had a subscriptions for djs to enable these cloud samples for build-in sampler. Especially for Pioneer sampler device it would be more flexible and better to use that cloud samples service instead buying everything to usb pendrive

It would be possible to use any OS device or mobile to connect output aux to your mixer in order to hear tracks from Spotify app or website but you need at least 2 separated Spotify account to play 2 different tracks at this time. The problem is you don’t have BPM detection, specific key and displayed waveforms of it, so yeah it’s not easy to integrite Spotify

It might well be possible but it’s not something any respectable DJ should be doing. They removed themselves from that market because they (or their providers) didn’t want their service used by DJs.

If You use Akai force or MPC, You can use Splice - cloud based sample library. It is of course with a subscription plan.

I’m looking more into Deezer as a Virtual DJ user, I like the way Deezer is integrated to the program. If VDJ can do it I believe Denon can do it