An Update on PRIME 4

Just had an update from my UK supplier and they have pushed back from 10th May until 24th May that is another 2 weeks over and above the week since the announcement which is the day before I do my biggest gig of the year, as I have said before I for one would not have any problems in carrying out a day 1 firmware update if this could get the equipment I have paid for in full to me in time (ordered February and paid for in full a couple of weeks ago as I was expecting its arrival). This out of the box firmware update is nothing new and even very recently I purchased a high end digital workstation from a very reputable company which had a sticker applied to the outside of the box informing that update had to be done with instructions and a rather nice branded usb stick sellotaped to the inside of the box containing the actual update. This meant that there was no delay in shipping. I’m not saying Denon need to supply usb media but they could surely make any update and instructions available via the website and cut down the time required to distribute the new P4 as once these units are eventually shipped this is how updates will be done.

2 Likes

@Nekoro_DenonDJ Appreciate the update :facepunch:t2: All good things…:sunglasses:

1 Like

Date changed for me again from the 10/5/19 to 31/5/19 is this the real date this time? I’ve paid for mine outright back in feb and starting to lose faith now :grimacing:

It would seem longer than 2 weeks according to Guitar Center. Hope this is a typo.

I’ve been watching delivery/shipment estimates on different supplier’s websites. When listed, most still say May 15th-17th, but Guitar Center, where I almost pre-ordered from, changed their date from May 15th (I think) to now July 7th just yesterday or today. Not sure if this means anything or is just a Guitar Center thing, but just in case they may know something others don’t. I hope not.

Hello again everyone.

I/we cannot speak for individual dealers across the world, but as stated in our official announcement ‘we endeavor to start shipping units in approximately two weeks’ (this was a week ago today). We intend on maintaining the schedule we announced last week, and will ship PRIME 4 units out to vendors within the target date we announced.

Depending on where you are from, it’s likely that you may have to wait a bit longer for shipments to arrive, but I know that we all understand that shipping across the country/world takes time due to many variables outside of our control (customs, weather, Brexit (jk), etc.).

We intend on making an announcement as soon as PRIME 4 begins to ship, to keep our customers in the know. Your preferred dealer/distributor can provide you with a more specific time frame once we ship. We truly value all of your passionate input throughout this product launch, and thank you for your patience.

1 Like

It makes sense that if the Denon boat docks in one port in a country that a prime 4 won’t be in every single tiny disco store in every city the next day.

Many dealers have one or more central warehouses which then send out a percentage of their stock of a product to regions hubs/mini district warehouses, which then divide up however many units got ordered and lorry the individual stores in towns etc.

If there are further delays after the denon boat docks in each country, then that just down to those external factors

Thank you @Nekoro_DenonDJ - it’s these kind of official updates that puts everyone’s mind, especially those of us that have pre-ordered, at rest. I totally understand a slight delay, that’s cool, and the fact you are reiterating that schedule is great. Can you tell us what the delay reason is in detail? I’m not having a go or being difficult I assure you, just curious! Thanks again.

Not to mention, you’ll start to have inconsistency on the product after its launched - some people will upgrade, some wont - not everyone will know what firmware version they are running or be bothered to upgrade. I don’t fall in to that camp, but I can guarantee some will.

1 Like

Why mention Brexit ??? It’s business as usual here in the UK

1 Like

(jk) = joke, I presume…

To add to this. People are indoctrinated by the media and political elite. There is nothing wrong in leaving the EU and trade agreements can simply be made like before. The EU tries to scare people, but in fact, they are scared themselves that other countries exit also (which is very likely, Nexit, Bexit, Grexit etc.)

We could talk a lot about that …Xit thing, but this is not the place dude.

True, but an admin/mod brought it up. He should know better.

I’m still learning on how these Forums work, including when to insert a joke. Clearly a mistake on my end, still more to learn. Thanks for the feedback @Reese, @Uk79mod & @renmachado

2 Likes

I personally liked the joke, I could see the tongue securely in the cheek!!

3 Likes

Yes. Everyone should be knowing by now that anything typed anywhere will upset somebody somehow somewhere - even when JK (for Just Kidding) is added to the humorous text

:wink:

1 Like

Sir, For shame! I am thoroughly outraged…even emphatically outraged, bordering on incensed. Your unfair, and borderline inappropriate, accusation that nonlinear dynamic systems are somehow to blame for the failings of the - dare I say - suspiciously murky and mysterious world of international shipping syndicates is, as the saying goes, ‘beyond the pale’. As my colleagues, associates, and even detractors, can attest: I DO NOT BLUSH easily - and certainly never without due cause. But now not even Colonel Sidechain , my faithful Afghan Hound, dares return my gaze.

In short, Weather, sir, is not something to ‘j’ and ‘k’ about. Yours Sorrowfully, ---------------- PS. Apologies to all for my uncharacteristic ungentle handling of this sordid affair.

1 Like

Let me share a story…

Played on someone else’s Prime setup just before Christmas. First time I was able to walk into a show with just a USB stick. Felt good… …right up until I discovered that the guy bought his setup six months prior and never ran a single update. Was still on 1.0.1 or something like that.

Luckily my stick actually worked, but man rolling back the improvements of the past two years blew.

And that’s why I’m not surprised they would hold product and do the update themselves. Can’t trust end-users to follow instructions. We kinda dumz sometimes… haha

I understand the points you’re making and why you’re making them, but…

1. Encountering wacky setups ■■■■■ and for basically all of dj history, just part of the game. DJs playing vinyl bring their own cartridges, extra slipmats, a cable or two, a brush to clean dirty needles, a flashlight, electrical tape, and extra pair of socks, and whatever else a vinyl DJ might need walking into a less than perfect situation.

DJs expecting to play via a USB drive should def have two or three more backup usbs, various electronic stuff like power things and solar powered power things and a flashlight and electrical tape and an extra pair of socks, and maybe the third most important item: a usb with all the current firmware for various machines they might encounter.

1. Updating firmware is basically the equivalent of pouring your own milk at breakfast. Sure, it takes a little extra work. Obviously on those rare occasions that I sit down to breakfast only to find @paul_denondj pouring a generous serving of flax milk onto a heaping bowl of off brand grape nuts, I’m surprised, happy, and maybe even pleasantly alarmed at waking up in another state. But most of the time I pour my own milk.

2. I’m curious, what happens when there’s a another firmware upgrade, down the road? Is Denon going to go house to house updating the firmware of all these players? If Paul has to do that, who will pour my milk on Caturdays?

3. I meant to concentrate this rant/breakfast fantasy post on your last statement “Can’t trust end-users” . But I need to find someone to tie my shoes because, you know, my feet are pretty far away and I’ll probably forget to tie them and then fall down the stairs onto my sc5000 (at least i won’t have to waste time updating it because it will be broken).

Just Kidding … I would say