AMD Ryzen multicore CPU with Engine Prime, share your experiences

So why does this page exist?

That’s just one example.

1 Like

This topic is about Ryzen, so @ms7330 remarks are valid.

Serato also states: NOTE: Most of these issues do not appear to affect modern AMD CPU series, such as Ryzen.

I’ve switched to Ryzen 3800X in my workstation, while using Intel in nearly of my other systems. There are zero issues for me using AMD.

My last AMD before that was an AthlonMP system, which indeed had some audio compatibility issues.

Like I said last month, “You might get lucky and never encounter any isues, but if you want be 100% certain, get Intel”.

Notice Serato are not saying that AMD users won’t have issues. They say that “most” of the issues “do not appear” to cause problems. They’re not saying that AMD is 100% the same as Intel.

I’m sticking with Intel and not overclocking or fluffy-dicing anything

As if Intel is 100% issue free… I play a game occasionally; Intel crashed to desktop. Ryzen, issues gone. Seemed to be a “known” problem with 6xxx cpu series. (I’ll leave the security issues using Intel server cpus out of scope btw)

It’s simply an old “don’t get AMD” virus that goes around.

I use both brands. Both work fine. Both can have shite.

It has been for me. In my many years of using computers (since the mid 80s) I have never seen any software that says it’s incompatible with Intel. This is simply not the case with AMD.

It might be less of an issue now…but why take the chance?

1 Like

Also here, running on Intel for a long time, and no issues, not only audio-wise but also in general system stability and performance.

because of the price of course. you get a lot more bang for the buck from amd.

If that bang is not stable, then why to risk?

AMD - it’s the CoolerCaps and Skins stickers equivalent for processors :slight_smile: lol :joy:

it is. the times when amd lacked certain instructions are long gone.

I have a desktop with a Ryzen 3700x which I use with Engine Prime 1.5.1. And currently I use a HP laptop with an i5-1035g4. They both work with no problems, track analysis is accurate (I still shift some beat points a smidge, but they are close enough to work without a change). It’s certainly multi-threaded but it seems to top out at 6 or 8 threads my guess it’s 7 leaving a little headroom, I see appx 40% CPU useage. If anyone knows how to increase the maximum threads or a registry setting or file edit to increase the threads I would appreciate it.

I have a MCX8000 and it’s pickier than it should be. AAC-HE doesn’t work, 48khz also breaks compatibility. So make sure if you are encoding, that you use AAC-LC and 44.1khz for the frequency (or MP3@44hz.) Would have also liked to see exfat support. These are minor workarounds in my opinion but EP doesn’t tell you why the file is not compatible.

see https://community.enginedj.com/t/remove-analyzing-thread-limit/25252

I’ll second all the yes-sayers when it comes to the current AMD Ryzen CPU’s. They work without a hitch for me. Those Serato warnings date from a long time back when (especially) early Phenoms and such could provide issues. But those are not to be compared to the Ryzens. AMD were behind the curve for years, but have (as stated by others) not only caught up but I’d say even surpassed Intel on a lot of fronts.

1 Like

The build is complete.

Ryzen 3900x breezing through serato analysis. 12 cores, 24 threads!

3 Likes