Advice for 2020 purchase

Hi, I’m new to the forum and would like some advice re: MCX8000. I’m basically after a 4 channel controller to use with Serato and turntables. This unit looks like a good choice and a very good price but I note there have been some issues reported with screen freezing etc. Other options like the Prime 4 (and other makes) are probably beyond my budget although I could live without the standalone feature. So, basic question is whether you’d recommend this controller given it is now several years old. Looks like the support is still there but given other options is this a good choice in 2020 and will the support continue? Is a newer version likely? I am guessing answers in a Denon forum are likely to be positive but still keen to get some views on this one.

Even tho I love my controller (MCX8000), it is hard to me to just jump to a big YES; and say yes I recommend this controller. In fact the controller is not the problem, even thou I have to put on with not registering the played songs (history) some weird mind of its one on the Slip mode, some other little things on internal mode. The prep software only works in one direction (no synchronization of files) if using Engine Prime. But if you still can deal with that, then Yes, I would say Yes I recommend the controller, is completely awesome.

Now why I say the controller is not the problem? Well sadly I have say I’ve seen Denon working path. The bring a new product, with un finish firmware or not 100% working as it marketed to be, then they start doing firmware updates, til they can no more, budget wise, or what ever, then they just leave it like that, and then they bring some other new product, cicle begins again. While time passes, firmware by firmware, you product becomes legacy, it has no more updates, and at the end, it never work like it was marketed. That is very sad from a company that we really have some very high hopes.

Maybe that is on the past and is not happening with the new Prime Echo System. I don’t know, don’t dare to try yet.

Do you guys think is fare to wait 3 year to make this controller work the way it was supposed to work?

1 Like

If the Prime 4 is really and truly out of your budget then the 8000 has matured enough to give you a few years of function.

As smart consoles go, It’s a bit thick compared to Primes but then, any controller looks like a dumbass compared to prime. Primes the way to go if you can though.

Check out my YouTube review. Hopefully it will answer some of your questions.

Thanks for the advice and the review (that was really helpful given it is very current). Is it confirmed that there will be another firmware update? I see posts inviting people to join the beta program (which is now closed) but that was back in January of this year. Is there another firmware update now confirmed based on this beta program? Just trying to establish whether Denon are still actively supportIng this controller with firmware updates.

The beta test for a firmware update is still active.

However the MCX8000 on thomann.de is back with delivery in 1-2 weeks. In the past week it had been delivered for 5 days, then it started again with very long deliveries.

On another international site it is reported as “discontinued”. I feel the stench of death of MCX8000.

Hello. It’s a good system and works with serato. As long as denon continues to update the firmware and answers our technicalities with the software. I don’t see the 8000 being shelved anytime soon. Serato still markets this machine as compatible. I use the stand alone version and a denon dnd 4000 for the other two channels . Works.

1 Like

I see Thomann now have it back in stock but I also understand from other retailers that it has been discontinued. Even Thomann stated that they weren’t sure it was still being manufactured - but they could still source some units. Sounds like the beginning of the end then.

1 Like

DJ Kit (UK retailer) has it as archived/discontinued…

So I was right, when 2 months ago (before buying my Prime 4), I wrote this message: Link

:wink: :open_mouth: :astonished:

So the only way to go is the prime4 even if the standalone model is not really what you want. I still prefer a pc, bigger screen, put in same case as controller so no hassle. Why nothing like the “discontinued” 8000, gone it appears are the days of £500 for a MC6000 to now having to pay £1600

If you don’t need standalone, take the MC7000. This is still available in various stores and the price is lower than the MCX8000.

I bought my MC6000 sub £500 NEW and if I recall the MK11 in a Christmas sale for about £375. Still have that in a box never used lol.