Very slow importing folders to collection

Yesterday I imported one of my music directories on my i7 Windows PC, for info it has all SSD’s including the music drive, and 32GB RAM. Importing one Directory of around 48000 tracks with track analysis switched ON, took around 14 Hours. Slow but acceptable for what it was doing.

This morning I decided to turn OFF track analysis, and imported my other main directory of around 49000 tracks.

The issue is every couple of track imports, the main pane screen flashes, while the program updates the track list order !!!

Why can’t the program just import the files, and then ONCE at the end sort them !!! This is the most inefficent way of reading file data, that I have ever seen !!

Please can the development guys set Engine DJ to only sort the list after it has imported all the tracks. The program knows how many are left to import, as it shows the countdown in the Job Monitor.

1 Like

I do this task a bit other, and this saves much time i.m.o. I just unpluged the internal ssd from my prime 4 … use an usb-2-sata adapter. Then I copy all my tracks with folders&subfolders to it. After that I just start engine dj, and drag & drop the whole drive from windows explorer window, to the crate pannel. It automatically creates then crates & subcrates and analyze the tracks. This takes about 6-8 hours for 48k tracks. Faster than the 14 hours of yours. And for new tracks, I do a date-named folder with the new ones, and copy them also directly to the drive. This avoids that engine dj create an ow folder structure, which takes ages to finalize :wink:

1 Like

I like this technique tbh :v:t2:

Thanks for sharing.