Show your home DJ booth (Part 1)

Upgraded from my NVII to a Denon Prime go, Now im addicted to engine OS and bought the Soundswitch for DMX control of my cheap amazon Par lights, it works amazing!

Mostly streaming on Twitch and Mixcloud djslush | Instagram, Twitch | Linktree

6 Likes

Playing some of those round plastic things last night, not a digital file in sight :wink:

13 Likes

Thought I’d drop my setup in here. 2 SC6000’s, 1200MK7s, 1850 (although maybe an A&H soon haha), and a DJS-1000.

Photo is an original print of Allen Ying’s photo of Koki Loiaza clearing the subway gap Peep the video here

7 Likes

How do you make use of the sampler considering the rest of the kit is Denon?

I use a Maschine+ as it has Ableton Link like the Prime series.

Which Xone are you thinking about getting? I owned an X:PX5 and X:92, and I now own an X:96. If you have any questions, I can try to answer them for you.

The DJS-1000 has Pitch control, as well as Nudge buttons to beatmatch with non-Pioneer gear. I’ve got one, and I LOVE it! Though, now I have 3000s to connect it to. But, I cannot share Quantized EFX…only BPM data.

@paintlaurent I have questions about this too, how do you find it? is it a worthy addition?

Blackavenger, I’m considering the 96 after chatting with the cru although I’m debating the A9 too. How’s your experience been with it? How do you approach your mixes? Long, short cuts, scratch, all the above?

Stu, PK, I love the DJS-1000, it’s so easy. For syncing, I play it by ear and use nudge, pitch, and quantization on the pads. It’s not perfect, def error prone, but for my sets it works well.

Have you seen Beat-Link-Trigger?

https://blt-guide.deepsymmetry.org/beat-link-trigger/7.0.1/Link.html#carabiner-control-functions

With the help of Carabiner (which is built right in to Beat Link Trigger since version 0.6.1), you can synchronize an Ableton Link session’s tempo, beats, and bars to the a player (either the Tempo Master, or one chosen by a Trigger for more specialized needs), or you can add Link as its own “player” that can become Tempo Master to the CDJs.

BTL connects Pro DJ Link and Ableton Link devices on the same network. I’ve been able to get everything talking to one another where the sampler shares the beat data with the 6000s and vice versa but I’ve hit some walls. I could probably spend a bit more time with it, maybe I’m not doing something right. It’s a solid little app and picks up the 1000 immediately.

I’ve considered the Maschine, especially since it has link and I’m going to be adding my laptop + midi controller with ableton to my sets. However, the DJS is super fun and makes writing tracks on the fly really easy. Also, since it’s Pioneer, I can “practice” with it at home and then use it with confidence, aka sync, when I’m out since the setup will most likely be Pioneer.

1 Like

PK, I realize that I didn’t actually answer the question of how I use this in my setup haha

Currently connected to the mixer via send/return and Line in on channel 4. With the send/return I assign whatever channel I want to it and sample, then throw it back in the mix using the SNDRTN filter on the mixer. Once sampled, I get access to all the DJS-1000 features - Hot slice, Slice, Scale, Sequencing, etc. I can literally rewrite a currently playing track on the fly.

Otherwise, I have projects configured with various loops, either bits and bobs from songs, one offs, etc. For example, an Amen breat, maybe some snares, a shaker, standard drum machine stuff. I’ll drop stuff in from time to time while another track is playing to spice things up.

As I mentioned above, syncing is pretty much by ear, nudge buttons, and pitch. The nudge buttons are a life saver.

2 Likes

@paintlaurent thanks for the reply. I’ve not yet tried sampling live from a track with my M+ it’s mainly used for playing percussion (finger drumming).

It’s fully loaded with every single Maschine expansion, plus a load of Akai stuff from my old S900 and S1000 collection - but I really need to spend some time (months?) organising.

The tempo on it is pretty accurate. If I set it to the exact BPM of a track playing in my DJ software it typically stays in time without any sync.

Ahh, I haven’t used Beat-Link-Trigger since I got rid of my NXS2s and switched to SC6000s. Now that I have 3000s, it’s not needed. But, I used to be all about Beat-Link-Trigger!!

Well, whether you are going to get on with the X:96 or not largely depends on your needs and/or comfortability with using a mixer that doesn’t have automatic, beat-linked EFX. With the X:96, you are going to need to use external EFX such as Pioneer’s EFX or RMX lines. Also, guitar pedals are quite a popular choice for X:92 and X:96 users. I rather like the tinkering which is required to use EFX Pedals, so that’s not really an issue for me, but it may be for you. Also, being able to assign (tie) the parametrically EQ’d EFX to either of the VCF (HP, LP, BP) filters is something I absolutely love!! As for how I mix, it really depends. So, I suppose it’s, ‘D’, all of the above. What I can tell you is that the 60mm channel faders are lovely for teasing in the next track during a longer mix. The included ‘Innofader’ is buttery smooth and rigid, and when you perform the Crossfader Calibration, it is quite sharp as well. Having four EQ bands (high, mid, low mid, low) is also something I love, and can’t really see myself ever being without again. I owned an X:92, and then switched out to an X:PX5 which had standard 3 band EQs, but desperately wanted that fourth (mid low) EQ band back, so that’s why I switched out the X:PX5 for the X:96. Perhaps that’s not importatant to you, so that’s also something to think about. The Xone:96’s sound shites over all other mass-produced DJ mixers on the market. I briefly owned a V10, and I still think the Xone:96 sounds better. There is nothing ‘automated’ about the Xone:96 when comparing it to the A9 or V10, but it does have a character and workflow of all it’s own.

Good luck with your decision.

1 Like

This is awesome, thank you!

Quick note, I just spent a few minutes actually reading the Beat-link-trigger docs and got it working as described. The sync isn’t perfect but it’s damned close which is pretty slick. Have to tap the Sync button on the 1000 every now and then to get it to realign but all in all not bad.

You’ve got the M3Ds too. Nice!

The brother in law struggles on mine as they are a digital pitch and he’s got MK2s. They tend to ‘fight’ with you compared to the MK2s.

I thought the M3D’s were still analogue weren’t they? was it not the mk5g that brought the digital pitch in?

Oh that could be right.

He said he struggled with my as it seemed a different ‘feel’. I just put it down to that but you could be right there.

1 Like

Its the first one that had the clickless pitch, and i would say it does feel slightly different to the MK2 but better than the 5g

1 Like

Hold tight for the new Radius MK2 to be announced tomorrow at 1pm.

2 Likes

Yeah that looks like it, from what I can see on insta its the valve model mk2 (my normal radius is version 3 so it rules that out)… you can see channel EQ on some of the teaser pics. I wonder what it includes over the OG.

1 Like

Curious too.

I’ve been without a mixer for 18 months now as sold a Xone to get a Radius Two Valve but been away. Im coming back permanently to the UK in June so will get one.

1 Like

Look forward to a forum review:) now if someone could just release a soundcard for us DVS users.