Serato Support?

A wise person said.

3 Likes

The SDK is available from Denon so support is totally in Seratoā€™s court. Contact them and complain.

Alternatively use it with VirtualDJ.

1 Like

This is a Serato DJ request topic. There is no need to constantly advertise Virtual DJ or badmouth people (ā€œcomplainā€). People are aware the P2 is working with VDJ, but probably they prefer to continue working with the software they are used to, rather than paying another $300. One thing where I agree in general that one shouldnā€™t buy a unit in expectation of any missing features getting implemented.

I myself, being both a mobile and club/outdoor DJ, had hoped for SDJ support for the Prime 2. That would had allowed many people to have one device for both scenarios; enjoying to play standalone whenever possible and plug in my 15" Macbook for much better browsing whenever necessary like complex weddings. The Prime 4 is too big and heavy for me. The Prime 2 often got advertised having the ā€œsame powerā€ in a smaller footprint. But considering the many unnecessary compromises (no SDJ, Ph/Ln-Inputs, SweepFX, Mic-Echo) this is simply not true.

In the meantime I have opted for a Roland DJ-808 (the drum machine is super fun actually) but the recent 2.0 update intrigues me. Should Denon and Serato work together, bringing at least SDJ Lite (reduced license costs) with an upgrade option for the user, I would be very pleased and finally go for the Prime. But time will tellā€¦

1 Like

Is the Prime 4 much heavier than carrying a Prime 2 and 15" Laptop, laptop case, stand, extra cables etc?

On one hand youā€™re saying the Prime 4 is too big and heavy, then on the other you want to carry a slightly smaller unit then add the complexity of having to use it with a laptop and carry the things needed to do that?

This seems a little bit contradictory here.

Also the guy above wasnā€™t badmouthing, he was merely stating that the issue sits with Serato to get it working.

Serato will not support any controller until they hash out an official agreement with the manufacturer. This will obviously involve moneyā€¦remember they have got salaries to pay.

Agree with request for Serato lite to push the financial burden on customers as a compromise of some sort.

There are a cohort of DJs that may consider getting the Prime2 should serato become supported.

I have an SR2 for this purpose and there is nothing complex about using a laptop to DJ with.

Serato is as plug and play as it comes, Iā€™d say Virtual DJ is more complex to set up to use as it asks you to select the sound card etc

2 Likes

Itā€™s more complex as in more things to set up on the DJ booth, a laptop stand, the laptop itself (and keeping it in working order or up to date, something I canā€™t do now because of Rane and their lack of support for SL sound cards), having power cables, a USB cableā€¦ these are all additional points of failure that you avoid with a standalone unit.

Iā€™ve been using a laptop at gigs for nearly 10 years now and itā€™s 100% easier to just have a single unit with built in screen, and much more robust, especially when things like cables can be pulled out so easily.

The best decision Iā€™ve made in years (apart from buying a Mastersounds mixer for home) is ditching my SX2 and Serato for a Prime 2ā€¦ I can take the unit, a monitor, headphones, 2 power cables and an XLR cable to a gig and be set up in minutes.

sigh Alright, seems I have to explain it one final time:

The promising part about the rather portable Prime 2 getting Serato DJ support is, that it would allow me and several other users, to buy one device for two different scenarios:

1. Situations where I can indeed only arrive with the Prime 2, my headphones and rock the party. Examples would be a club slot where I only have to cater a few genres, or an outdoor party just for fun. In that case the rather small 7" screen is absolutely sufficient.

2. Situations where I need a proper laptop screen + keyboard, this is the case at weddings that go for 7+ hrs and come with many genres and many music requests. In that case, I could still use the very same Prime 2 unit, but simply plug in my SDJ 15" Macbook.

The irony here is, that the Prime 4, which actually has the more browse-friendly 10.1" screen and thus less need for any laptop solution, got Serato DJ support, albeit itā€™s certainly more ā€˜overkillā€™ here. From a point of logic and convenience, it should had been the other way round - the Prime 2 (and maybe Go) getting as much software plug-and-play support as possible first, as their portable size make them perfect options for people who work with similar sized controllers (SR/SX/DDJ, MC6/7000, 505, Primoā€¦) plus it is more affordable.

For the time being, we would have to buy a Prime 4 to get the desired flexibility, with the handicap of it being about 30% heavier (9.7 vs 7.2kg) and significantly larger, and I know many booths in smaller club/bar locations here, where the Prime 2/Go would fit, but the 4 not anymore. Or buy a medium-sized controller and single SC5000, which would be a workaround, albeit less elegant (dual layer switching, more cables, more to carry even without laptop, also not sure about Engine Light).

I hope people here can finally understand our situation. Ofc we also have to request it in the Serato forums and other channels. It would be a win for Serato (people purchasing upgrades), Denon (more people switching from controllers) and the customers (more flexibility).

2 Likes