New Denon Media players on the way?

I guess the good thing about the Denon, and this is on my Prime 2. The playlists are always on the left so they can be quickly accessed when you want to swap between them. There should be an option to minimise them though.

Also the full track should be visible in performance mode on the prime as I sometimes get people wanting to take a photo of the track name and it’s a pain to find it in the library, CDJs have the ‘info’ tab

1 Like

They just have to use Shazam!

1 Like

Hahaha, quite a lot of my stuff isn’t on there :wink:

Ah OK ! But it’s good to have our own cartridges! :wink:

By the way… there is a ridoulotte function in SDJ to hide the titles, so that peusdo DJs without personality and without musical culture can find the imports / excluded which are not recognized by Shazam. “AM mode - Hide title and performer”

1 Like

Haha I don’t mind sharing names of tracks personally, but there are definitely some grifters out there when it comes to digging for music.

1 Like

Have to agree with others it does the job my hope is smart creates that would make my work flow so much easier but I’ve managed so far

I am fully with you here, and I strongly disagree with those people downplaying this issue as mere personal preference. The fact is that we have a lot of wasted GUI space, and wasted space equals to inefficiency. At least that huge and useless root column (playlist/folder tree) on the left needs to get removed, as it doesn’t provide any help - if you want to jump up in folder hierarchy, you have to press the back button anyway.

Overview waveforms which you can skip (prelisten) through, and/or the option to display comments (I use those to mark the intro/outro beats of my critical tracks, like “-32A/-16B”) would be FAR MORE helpful than empty screen space. Such an option should be added.

Luckily, there is this thread and it’s very popular with 125+ votes: https://community.enginedj.com/t/improved-track-browsing-and-more-information-on-the-engine-os-screen-hide-playlist-tree/36943/

3 Likes

“You have to press the back button anyway”

Not quite true, you can also touch the screen to hit a new playlist, which would offer some reasoning as to why its there.

You never use the CDJ 3000 to say the display is horrible It’s really the best UI on the market and Denon is not even close with lot of waste space and options missing tho on the SC6000 BUT it’s improving every update so it’s good for me

2 Likes

Iam using only two sc6000 for feeding all my 4 channels. I sold both LC6000 because of the forced dual layer view and missing waveform information in libary view.

For me with this current setup its neccacary to have that much space. Iam also using the new smaller font size which not all people are using. If I have to switch back to the old big font view, the tune list to the right would be full again. I also often just mix two tunes on one player to prepairing things on the second. The big waveform view for both channels in the libary view is a huge thing for me in that situation and iam mixing just in that view.

Some playlist combination has longer names then others… Also Artist combinations are sometimes longer…

I would love to have preview waveform in the libary view like cdj3000. But as far as I know, developer pushed a libary change to prevent large database files for smoother experience on all plattforms. Its difficult to fill that bag back with informations without loosing focus on performance.

Also people talking about smart playlisten. This would be a game changer for me! But I can concern in that case a lot of code has to be touched, rewritten which is not easy on a live system with a hole product line with the same software.

In Rekordbox you can choose which field you want always displayed there. I like the “Artist” to be the default. But, as you can see in this pic, you can always change that on the fly.

I have no issue seeing the cover art. I do find it helpful for reference.

I think that is just a placeholder, as when the track is playing, the icon changes to a “play” symbol so you have a reference of the active track when switching back and browsing in Playlist view. I think it’s great, and wish Denon would impliment something similar.

Yeah, that’s how I do it too. I got into Rekordbox/Engine DJ after being on Serato for nearly 14 years, so the “crate/sub-crate/sub-sub-crate” structure is what makes the most sense to me. So I have genre folder, and break it down into sub-genres, date of purchase, etc… Except the Sub-genres of House. I have those on the root folder. I’ve been meaning to correct that, but I haven’t gotten around to it. Everything else, however, has a Parent/Child folder structure. Everyone has their own quirks for how they like to manage their Playlists.

What do you mean by that? The brightness? If so, I think these are as bright as they can get. That’s one change from the SC5000 that I was super disappointed to see on my SC6000(M)s.

You see, I think the whole GUI needs a complete redesign! Again, a colassal waste of space!

Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE Denon’s update model. I HATE Pioneer’s. But, we can’t forget, Denon are the ones playing catch up here. Pioneer have the luxury of roughly 14 years of prior models to get to the point where the 3000 is today. It’s nearly a complete product. It simply doesn’t have all the issues that are present on the Denon hardware. “Knocking on wood”, I would even argue that the 3000 is flawless in operation…at least in my experience. Also, while we tinkerers may love being on the ground floor of a new ecosystem, and helping foster it to the potential we think it has, the average DJ out there couldn’t care less. They just want standard features that CDJs have, and they want them to operate as intended. Every. Single. Time. The imperative is on Denon to prove that they deserve people’s hard earned money and confidence.

I wish Denon would stop with all these gimmicky features like “lighting controls”, and “sample players”, and simply copy every single feature Pioneer has on the CDJs, and then show why they are the obvious choice for DJs going forward. If they were simply to do that, and then give us all these extra features that Pioneer are unwilling to adopt, then they could take over the industry. But whatever, all in due time, I suppose…or maybe not…we’ll see.

2 Likes

I’m not sure ‘copying the other company’ needs to be the business model tbh. Then it’s just imitating rather than innovating.

Take this stacked waveforms for example, until the CDJ-3000 they didn’t exist in Pioneer world and now it’s suddenly the biggest dealbreaker out there. All this despite 99% of venues and punters still managing fine on their older Pioneer media players.

If anything it’s Pioneer who need to be taking cues from Denon as to what features need to be implemented, start innovating and stop pushing out incremental updates that cost the consumer more money than the last time.

The only reason I think that is because the vast majority of peeps out there want all the standard CDJ features. So, Denon should copy all the basic features, and then innovate. I mean, let’s be honest, Denon have already innovated far beyond what Pioneer are willing to do. “Ableton Link” alone was a revolutionary inclusion for a standalone media deck. So, respectfully, I disagree. I think Denon would get a lot further along in the mindshare if they had all of Pioneer’s standard features, but afterward did their innovating.

As for Stacked Waveforms, I think it would be a great addition, but it’s not at the top of my list. For some, it is.

As far as im concerned they already have copied all the basic features, in fact im struggling to see exactly what they are missing from that eco system that matters.

Most of Pioneers ‘standard’ features are inferior to the Denon offering anyway, like the loop controls with that outdated cumbersome in/out button layout, and their poor attempt at cue buttons.

I actually prefer the hard Cue buttons on the CDJ to the squishy pads on my SC6000Ms. I do, however, love the fact that the SC6000M’s pads are multi-functional. I also LOVE the fact that Denon offers Gated Cues. That’s something several people have been bitching/begging for over on the PioneerDJ forum. I don’t think they’ll ever implement it.

Back when the Loop & Beatjump parameters were tied together on Denon, I freakin’ HATED it sooo much! Now that they’ve copied Pioneer’s design by separating the values, I now LOVE the Denons. I do prefer the Loop endless encoder on my SC6000Ms. But, on my 3000s, they have that super convenient, instant 4, 8, 16, 32 beat button. I like both approaches to be honest.

The hard buttons are definitely good, it was more the lack of roll and other options for the pads that annoys me, I don’t see why they had to try and rewrite the rule book when those pads have been a successful mainstay on controllers and DVS mixers for years, the positioning is also a bit silly imo, again trying to be different for difference sake.

Just throwing my hat in the ring with the screen debate, this is my Prime 2 screen. I actually find it really useful to have the playlists on the left as I can quickly swipe and tap to get to the next playlist without having to use any back buttons or tabs etc.

Imgur

The overall text can also be made smaller (too small for me) so 9 records and more playlists appear, and holding your finger on the track brings up this info screen, which could benefit from an overview waveform perhaps.

Imgur

A fair compromise would be a single onscreen button that would pop up this half-screen view of all the playlists. Someone on here did some photoshopped renders of a few different UI improvements, but I can’t remember which thread I saw those in. If I find them, I’ll link them in here. He had some great ideas.

Their next all-in-one will follow DenonDJ’s loop encoder. :wink:

1 Like

Haha really?

The next controller definitely doesn’t if the pics on the other thread are accurate:)