Help figuring out phono preamp/usb router sound consistency on SC6000

For context, I’m running an SC6000, LC6000 and a DN-X100 mixer. I route the mixer to a USB audio interface via RCA in order to connect to my Mac (USB) and record via Audacity. It also directs audio to my Cambridge A1 amplifier and speakers. Not had any problems with this method so far.

Earlier today I found a phono pre-amp from Behringer (PP400) lying around. I decided to route the audio from the DN-X100 into the pre-amp (RCA), then use the output on the pre-amp to run the audio into the USB interface which itself runs into my Cambridge A1 amp. Just for shits and giggles and such. I noticed that I am able to turn the gain on tracks A & B way down and keep a much more consistent level of audio when recording using the master volume. However, it is remarkably sensitive.

When I listened to a mix I just recorded it sounds good, but the lows have increased in quality(?) volume (?) noticeably. Not necessarily bad, but not necessarily good either. Can anyone tell me what is actually occurring here? For what it is worth I did have the audio output running into the phono ports on my amplifier for that mix. After switching that output to the line-in input, I have the same volume and greater control, but the lows seem to be back to normal.

Can someone with more knowledge than myself tell me what is happening here? Am I wasting electricity running the preamp? Should I run the preamp but don’t run it into the phono input on my amplifier? Basically, what should I do to ensure best overall sound (besides keeping an eye on all levels during my mixing of course).

Thanks for any help!

You never want to run a line level signal to a phono pre-amp. Line level straight to the mixer. You only want to use a phono preamp to your mixer if it doesn’t have them.

Sorry I should clarify, the SC6000 goes directly to the mixer. Then from the Mixer-Phono preamp-USB interface-amplifier/mac. But thank you for your reply!

The RCA output on the mixer is a line level output. If you feed that to a phono preamp it is going to “overpower” it.

I look forward to next weeks topic

“Rubbish Denon mixer damaged my expensive hifi equipment”

Noted! Out it comes. And I assume it’s the same if using the digital output as well?

I genuinely am not sure you can get more budget than a behringer preamp and a cambridge A1. The A1 is over twenty years old hahaha, but point taken.

I use Serato to record my sets with the record out on the mixer going into the 3rd input on the SL3. I can’t speak for your setup specifically but it does record fairly quietly from the Mastersounds record out so I just boost it in audacity afterwards and it seems to work well.

This is with me running my channels at around -3db on the VU meter and having Serato’s record level set quite high.

Feeding a digital signal to an analog input will not yield a good result :crazy_face:. I haven’t tried myself, but if you do hear anything it will be horrible noise.