Complete lockup while playing

Saturday night around twenty minutes from the end of my gig, the left hand deck music, started jittering, so I started the track in the right hand deck. I then selected the track suspect track again ,and used the track preview button. It worked absolutely fine !!. I then decided to check it later, and went to load the left hand deck with another song. As I pressed the “Load Left” button, the LCD locked up, the transport buttons stopped working, but the track in the right side carried on playing to the end. Luckily I had a laptop connected to the AUX input, and managed to finish the evening. I then removed all the cables, including the power supply, but couldn’t turn the GO off. After fiddling for a few minutes, and discovering I could hold the power and eject buttons for 10 seconds, the unit reset. I started the unit again (on battery) and loaded the original suspect jumping track, it played perfectly, as it has done many times before. This is the first time in over a year that my GO has given me any issues. It was on 2.2.2., which I have now updated to 2.3.2. this evening. Any thoughts Denon ? and is the Eject+Power button an actual hardware reset ?

It is used to force the firmware download. However you can also use it for reset.

Many thanks, with a battery operated unit you can’t just turn it off. I’ve updated to 2.3.2, so hoping it will be stable now. Cheers, Steve.

Press and hold the power button should force a circuit break and restart i believe

did you use downloaded tracks on local storage or streaming? my wild guess is streaming…

All my music is cleaned levelled MP3’s stored as CBR 256-320Kb/s. Stored on a Sandisk Extreme 1TB SD card. I have been playing these tracks of over a year, on average 2-3 times a month. This is the first issue I have seen, since updating to V2.x.x firmware.

All clear…We’ve seen some cases here reported where the unit locked up after loading a track from one of the streaming services, that is why I was betting on streaming. Don’t think you can troubleshoot this one unless you get more of such issues :frowning:

I’m hoping I never see this sort of problem again. Major panic if you have to stop the music to do a reset, while DJing. Lights playing up etc won’t stop your event but a couple of seconds gap in the music can’t be overlooked.

1 Like

Assuming the data is not corrupted and you are not streaming, there are two known reasons why machines lock up. The first is power supply instability. Make sure the unit is connected to a major power outlet, try not to use trailing sockets. Test that there is a sound earth bond to equipment, especially for mobile DJs. The earth bond is needed to shunt away harmful interference and voltages. Personally we use a small computer UPS. The second is sub sonic vibrations. Bass frequencies, produced by speakers, bounce off the various surfaces and tend to stack up in corners or close to walls (exactly where DJs setup). These vibrations, often undetectable to humans, cause instability in digital controllers by confusing sensors and interfering with data connections. We have often had problems with USB drives, especially connected by cable. Sometimes, we have noticed, that before the unit crashes, the sound becomes distorted, almost like the speaker has bust. Today, we always play off the internal SSD and the unit(s) and mixer are located on isolation foam. To date, we had had these problems SC6000, XDR R3, XDJ XY. With precautions, mostly, SC6000m, remain stable.